Motor Tramp Hylton - 1937

Not that I know of. Very few ship modellers have any desire to build merchant ship models, either sail or steam. Large models, when they can be found, fetch very large prices at auctions and galleries.

Last edited:
I admit, the price is a mouth full. But one must remember, these models are on line with what you would see in a Museum. And the scale is huge, so one would need a Museum to put it in. But thanks for sharing. I have a love affair for old Steamers.
Rick

But I don't build huge models! - I don't have the energy or patience. Museums usually want them for nothing anyway. This is about the biggest I can manage - Everything hand-made - no ready-built parts - and not too time-consuming either!
Bob
Amarna (Large).JPG

But I don't build huge models! - I don't have the energy or patience. Museums usually want them for nothing anyway. This is about the biggest I can manage - Everything hand-made - no ready-built parts - and not too time-consuming either!
Bob
View attachment 108637
A beautiful little model. As a commercial naval architect, I appreciate cargo ships even though most of my career has been in designing ferries.

That Amarna model is such a nice looking model. I would love to build her at that scale too.
I showed my wife your picture of the ship and she said she would be happy to move out some of my older 'kit' models to make way for that beauty.

What beautiful models Robert. Nice to see you posting pictures of them again. I think they put kit models to shame, but then that's my opinion. By the way may I ask for a little advice from you. The tug is coming along nicely and I'm about ready for the railings. Would you keep them as shiny brass or paint them? As I said at the beginning of my thread the tug is very generic. The drwgs. show wooden bollards fore and aft and I'm thinking of turning them in metal as more appropriate - what do you think?
Regards, William

Thanks William,
I always spray paint my railings using automobile spray paint. For white rails, I use white matt primer. Some modellers like to have rails and deck machinery in shiny brass, but I prefer paint, but it is just a matter of choice. If you leave them as shiny brass, they will soon go dull unless you lacquer them! Scratchbuilding to me is the freedon to build whatever I like, at whatever scale I wish. There are plenty of plans in books that are still in publication. I scan them and reprint them the size I wish to build the model. Kits are too large, and expensive for me, I I really prefer building obscure or semi-obscure models. Sailing ships are far easier to build than steamers, because they have fewer decks. The masting and rigging is very easy using wire, as it is all glued on in short lengths and there are no knots anywhere. Also, merchant ships have very little in the way of fancy carvings and decoration. Your tug is a very good type to begin with in powered ships and is coming along very well. Here is another simple model that I made some years ago. The beauty of merchant ships is that they range in size from a few tons up to about half a million tons , and come in all colours and shapes. Reading about them and life in them, is also incredibly interesting and makes a change from an endless run of sea battles.
Robert
Arran Mail (Medium).JPG

Thank you for taking the time to reply Robert and the advice on railings. I've painted the deckhouse etc. ( a sort of dark mustard colour - how appropriate I'm not quite sure) and I'm now taking a deep breath to make the railings. When I saw what you had done on one of your merchant ships what am I waiting for?
William

Well, today a got a selection of thin brass wire from Eileens Emporium in all the right 'thin' thicknesses. So now it's time to find a strategy to build the railings. I have an idea I'm looking forward to trying out this weekend. So Jim, a log has been started and my amateur efforts can be seen under the thread 'Generic Tug' in the category: '19th. and 20th. century builds'.
Best regards,
William

Back