MV St. Roch - Billing Boats 605 1:72 [COMPLETED BUILD]

St Roch looks great. It certainly looks better with the masts in her original configuration. When I finally finished I took the sails off. I think the final mast locations did not lend itself to sails. The LED lights I used are the little battery powered lights I found at our dollar store. They work well and I have used them again on my current project the" Belem" which is a French sail training ship built in 1896. The self isolation that my wife and I are practicing allows lots of time for boat building and no complaints from the other half.

Stay safe

Bob

Thanks Bob, it was a fun build. I think I will pick up some LED lights (when things get back to normal) for my next project. Not sure what that will be yet.
My best wishes to you and your wife, stay safe and well.

Rann, It is a good site. I spent a long time going over there archive before my build. The history of the ship is actually very impressive.
A little known part of Canadian and RCMP history.
Many thanks and welcome to the forum. Do you build?

I've known about Henry Larson and the St Roch for 50 years.....used to be taught in the '60s as part of Canadian History. Last time I was visiting Vancouver (daughter graduated from UBC) I went onboard the St Roch. They have a few , ahh, interesting boats moored close by.... like the Munin Viking ship, that you can go out cruising the harbour in!

As for model building, My collection is a wee bit eccentric..... everything from the Batmobile, dinosaur skeletons and various scale rockets(both static and flying) and Napoleonic figures. my current projects in planning/research stage right now (due to the pandemic) are the St. Roch and the William Lyon MacKenzie fireboat for bottles. (sorry, before the gang asks, they are already emptied!)

I am hip deep in other projects at the moment, but have always been interested in the St. Roch since learning the story in grade school. What is the reason for the split-hull construction scheme? I imagine that you would have to attach each false keel to a strongback of some kind. What would the benefits be? Once I have more experience, I'd like to tackle this.

I completed the Billings St Roch last year. I have no idea why they propose to build in two halves. I understand some other of their kits use the same process. I have built several POB ships since I started this hobby so in the St Roch build I simply glued the two halves of the center keel pieces together and proceeded from there as normal. No further problems.IMG_3607.JPG

Last edited by a moderator:
I completed the Billings St Roch last year. I have no idea why they propose to build in two halves. I understand some other of their kits use the same process. I have built several POB ships since I started this hobby so in the St Roch build I simply glued the two halves of the center keel pieces together and proceeded from there as normal. No further problems.
Bob, very nice. How did you build the bow shoe?

Nice build. Curious about the name. Pics show St Roch, yet the boat builds say RCM Police St Roch? Also you would never see RCM Police it’s either RCMP or Royal Canadian Mounted Police.

Nice build. Curious about the name. Pics show St Roch, yet the boat builds say RCM Police St Roch? Also you would never see RCM Police it’s either RCMP or Royal Canadian Mounted Police.
It's odd, I agree, but if you look at period photos of the actual ship, it says "RCM Police St Roch".

Last edited:
I do like the look of St Roch in schooner rig. I had not realized how major the refit was in Halifax. A great job. As to the comments about my led lights, I just used a string of 25 battery powered LED lights that I found at a dollar store. The greatest challenge is finding a way to hide the battery pack. I have now placed lighting in three vessels.

My current build is HMS Terror. The lighting on this one did not work out well. I developed a short circuit somewhere after the ship was closed in and I abandoned the idea.

That's a great idea, to use an off-the-shelf light string. I suppose if too much light you could "hood" the surplus ones or paint them black since LEDs generate so little heat?

Back