• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

My 1/72 scale aircraft

Dean, this is turning out to be a beautiful plane. Love the color scheme. I'm curious how you did the picture of your mom. Is it a printed waterslide?
 
Dean, this is turning out to be a beautiful plane. Love the color scheme. I'm curious how you did the picture of your mom. Is it a printed waterslide?

Thank you! I printed it on my printer. I scaled the original down to 25% and it barely fit! I didn’t want to scale again and make a copy of a copy, because it’s pretty much downhill at that point. I then put some Weldbond on the back and spread with a brush very thin and then placed it on the airplane and carefully pressed down. After that dried I put clear coat on. So it’s printed paper. I didn’t have a lot of faith in the printed waterslide paper giving as good of an image.
 
On a side note…I found an antique kit of a Brewster Buffalo. So now I will have an example of that aircraft soon.
IMG_4521.jpeg
Decals look like they are useless, but I have extras I can use. So I will make do. I also plan on using a grey paint scheme and weathering it some.

My mess when working…lol
IMG_4522.jpeg
I have shelves with supplies on them where I keep my paints. So I put them on my desk as I use them. Surprising how many colors I will end up using on an airplane.
 
Back
Top