My first and probably last attempt.

This is my first attempt with a Billings Boat Bounty.I must say I found it quite difficult not only because the drawings of the Plan ,profile and the bow view didn’t match each other I also think the instruction manual sequence could be improved on. I’ve done many yacht drawings for yacht company’s over the years so I am probably being overly critical.
looking at some of the models on here and the absolutely amazing fine detail and finish you achieve I’m astounded. Perhaps you all have fingers that don’t look like sausages like I appear to have. I expect some of the rigging is incorrect but the best I could make out looking at other people photographs.
This has taken me around 500 hrs and was started on March 11 2021.

7142B5C9-DAC3-43A4-907A-2679F74645C1.jpegED8DB1D4-CEC0-4186-A0AF-1AC75714B80D.jpeg10EDF89B-546C-4B60-BE6C-B03196BFFA4C.jpeg

That’s very kind of you but looking at some of the models I see on here I compare mine to some amazing maritime paintings I have seen ..look at Jamie Medlin marine artist …my paintings look like I used a brick to paint them and I feel the same about my model. Perhaps in a few weeks I will not see the flaws .

Matroose,
I understand as I also compare my work with others and I too am amazed at the workmanship here. First of all, you do have a model that you completed and that is saying a lot as some will abandon the process. I know I have in the past. Several years ago, I purchased the Mayflower from Model Expo - (there is NOTHING wrong with the model), but the relatively small size of the model was quite difficult for me at the time and having only half of the hull planking done, I had to sell it.
I am more used to building larger ships as the space is larger to work with. Even though I do have small hands and fingers, I still could not get the Mayflower to work with me.
At a glance, your Bounty is fine and I totally understand the problem with plans and instructions. So, therefore, please do not get discouraged and do not let this be the last ship you build. There are so many to choose from that might be better for you.

Matroose,
I understand as I also compare my work with others and I too am amazed at the workmanship here. First of all, you do have a model that you completed and that is saying a lot as some will abandon the process. I know I have in the past. Several years ago, I purchased the Mayflower from Model Expo - (there is NOTHING wrong with the model), but the relatively small size of the model was quite difficult for me at the time and having only half of the hull planking done, I had to sell it.
I am more used to building larger ships as the space is larger to work with. Even though I do have small hands and fingers, I still could not get the Mayflower to work with me.
At a glance, your Bounty is fine and I totally understand the problem with plans and instructions. So, therefore, please do not get discouraged and do not let this be the last ship you build. There are so many to choose from that might be better for you.
She looks fine and you can accept the fact that you completed her over the problems. Other kit companies and ships may offer a more satisfactory experience for you. If you can find pleasure in this hobby that is a reward aside from the visual product IMHO. Rich (PT-2)

First of all a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
Second: Your model is looking really very good, especially if this was the first wooden ship model you have built. You made several addtional details, like additional ropes and oars on the boat, the fixing of the boat, a good looking rigging, maybe with mistakes, but it is not easy to make a really correct and complete rigging....... Really for a first project -> very good
Third: You should try maybe also a different manufacturer than Billings, especially here there are extreme differences in quality of the material existing, off course with price differences.
Fourth: In the beginning with the first kit model, you have limitation in the own knowledge / experience. which will grow and expend with every model. But also your available tools to build such model in a better way will grow with each model. Sometimes, when you see first class build kit models, please keep in mind, that the workshop of the modelers is maybe much better equiped like yours......

You did a good job on your Bounty - so I really hope, that you will stay and proceed building ship models, and I hope to see your next project in a building log, because sharing the hobby with friends makes much more fun than working alone.....Try it

Just remember a model we normally build is a close replica, not an exact duplicate of the original.

So unless your an expert with plans and profiles, most folks will never notice anything that is slightly out of perfect, as long as it looks acceptable.

I was a photographer, and we would get critized when people look close up at a 16" x 20" brides photo and point out all the fine dots and soft edges.

I would remind them to step back and look from proper viewing distance to see the proper image and prospective of the size and quality.

The same negative printed at 8" x 10" and viewed close up had high quality image results.

Thank you all for the very kind comments , I did find along the way things that I would do differently if I did another.
I struggled with the rigging (apart from not quite understanding the poor plans) with the cord catching on every and any little piece of jagged skin on my fingers or nick on my nails or even a touch of dried glue on my tweezers or static too.
I was interested in the above comment about the some of the workshops being better equipped than mine , which was a dining room table ,two pairs of tweezers, a pair of scissors, some super glue, wood glue ,Stanley knife and a couple of needle files.oh and the kitchen kettle which seemed to be forever boiling to steam the planks The detail on some of the models I’ve seen on here is astounding and I can’t see how they can achieve such accuracy and fine detail.

Thank you all for the very kind comments , I did find along the way things that I would do differently if I did another.
This is natural and 99% of the modelers feel the same - and you will see, that you change several things and use other methods and tools making the second model

I struggled with the rigging (apart from not quite understanding the poor plans) with the cord catching on every and any little piece of jagged skin on my fingers or nick on my nails or even a touch of dried glue on my tweezers or static too.
For some better rigging knowledge you may buy some publications about rigging, f.e. which could be a good start

Withe better quality, either directly with a better quality kit, the problems will reduced. Also often the ropes and blocks are not the best, so maybe here some after sale market products
Maybe you compare for yourself the Billing blocks with high quality blocks from DryDock models - imediately you will see differences

I was interested in the above comment about the some of the workshops being better equipped than mine , which was a dining room table ,two pairs of tweezers, a pair of scissors, some super glue, wood glue ,Stanley knife and a couple of needle files.oh and the kitchen kettle which seemed to be forever boiling to steam the planks
It is like expected - with the time your used tools will grow and the quality of your model will also increase - in moment you have the real basic tools
and for this you made a really good model !!!!!

The detail on some of the models I’ve seen on here is astounding and I can’t see how they can achieve such accuracy and fine detail.
With the time and more experience with making some models you will also reach such a level. Do not be impatient.
F.e. my first model was a real disaster ....... and I think that most of us are thinking the same about their first one

This is natural and 99% of the modelers feel the same - and you will see, that you change several things and use other methods and tools making the second model

For some better rigging knowledge you may buy some publications about rigging, f.e. which could be a good start

Withe better quality, either directly with a better quality kit, the problems will reduced. Also often the ropes and blocks are not the best, so maybe here some after sale market products
Maybe you compare for yourself the Billing blocks with high quality blocks from DryDock models - imediately you will see differences

It is like expected - with the time your used tools will grow and the quality of your model will also increase - in moment you have the real basic tools
and for this you made a really good model !!!!!

With the time and more experience with making some models you will also reach such a level. Do not be impatient.
F.e. my first model was a real disaster ....... and I think that most of us are thinking the same about their first one
Wow thank you…the blocks on the images you pointed me to are so much more ‘fine’ than the Billings blocks I was supplied with…are they for a bigger model do you think ? I wish I had used this site to begin with. The links to the rigging are excellent…I spent hours looking on the internet and didn’t see these. Thank you.

The ship looks just fine to me. If this is your first model, I can understand why you are critical of it. As the builder, you WILL see EVERY SINGLE flaw, others may see a few, or not consider some aspects as flaws at all. It's natural. Most people who try their hand at wooden ships fail to complete even one ship. The ones that get good are the ones who make many models, each one getting better, and forgive themselves for the occasional mistake, sloppy painting, or rushed construction. Those efforts are never a 100% loss, but produce valuable experience. Patience is what makes these models possible. The accuracy and skill comes by itself in stages, always growing with each model as you learn new techniques, discover new tools, and train your hands to be precise. If you look at yourself on the ladder of building skills, there are people above you and people below you, but if you just keep building, you keep climbing the ladder one rung at a time... but only if you have the patience. These ships take YEARS to build. Each feature of the model is treated like a separate model unto itself. Look forward to the next model. When that's done you'll see quite a difference between it and the first one.

Last edited:
Finishing your first model I think is the first goal which you have done very well, it shouldn't be a deal.breaker to have some mistakes which you will.learn from.
If you.enjoyed the process please look around at all the options for a new model you can relate to and continue learning.
I am currently building my second model and my goal is to finish this one as well mistakes and all.
All the best.

I understand what you are experiencing. Whether it is a wooden model, a drawing, a painting or anything else done by our human hands, the reality will always fall short of what we saw in our mind's eye. For some reason, the craftsman, artist or hobbyist often focuses on the shortfalls. While this is annoying, it is also good because next time we will figure out how to smooth those bumps in the road if we can, maybe bit by bit.

You did very good for building a Billings Boat model as a first attempt. I actually did the same, way back in the day...built a Billings Boat kit of the Bounty. Let me echo what others have said...I found Billings kits as some of the more difficult to assemble both in terms of instructions and parts. I have since built kits from several other manufacturers and still say, in my opinion, Billings produces some of the more difficult to assemble unless one has a great deal of experience. So you did super awesome! Oh, one more thing, don't feel handicapped with the tools you have...I know a professional ship model builder who has built superb models with little more than a file, a number eleven blade hobby knife, and sandpaper.

Last edited:
Se ve bastante bien logrado, como dicen los colegas hay modelos que nos causan mas problema que otros sin embargo los retos nos obligan a seguir adelante así que ánimo y el que sigue !!!

It looks quite well achieved, as colleagues say, there are models that cause us more trouble than others, however the challenges force us to move forward so cheer up and whoever follows!

Last edited by a moderator:
This is my first attempt with a Billings Boat Bounty.I must say I found it quite difficult not only because the drawings of the Plan ,profile and the bow view didn’t match each other I also think the instruction manual sequence could be improved on. I’ve done many yacht drawings for yacht company’s over the years so I am probably being overly critical.
looking at some of the models on here and the absolutely amazing fine detail and finish you achieve I’m astounded. Perhaps you all have fingers that don’t look like sausages like I appear to have. I expect some of the rigging is incorrect but the best I could make out looking at other people photographs.
This has taken me around 500 hrs and was started on March 11 2021.
Hallo @Matroose
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back