Mythical sea creatures research. .

Bryian

Staff member
Forum Moderator

Hi gang,
just thinking about doing something unique for a model ship display stand. There's a few cheaply made plastic nautical sea creatures available on the internet, but they are plastic.

What about a CNC carved wood sea creature? It would be a real showpiece under your ship model.
Photo below is what I purchased from the internet. Its a cheaply made moulding, painted gold and close up scrutiny looks like its made from expanded foam.

..41940JkQBYL.jpg

Great topic Brian.Mythical sea monsters make for an interesting alternative to the normal brass pedestals.Even the plastic Amati ones could look good with some creative painting or have them gold plated using the technique offered by companies that do mobile phone cases etc.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Brian, it's awesome idea :) Thumbsup
I don't have allot knowledge and experience in the field of wood carving and especially in such sizes.
I would love to learn from you and the other friends, so I ask that along with the written explanation you attach as many pictures as possible and short movies.
This way we will be able to expand and spread the knowledge among all the members who are interested.
Thank you

Hi Brian, I'm not sure if member: SZKUTNIK might be able to help with this great idea:

I will ask Kris Szkutnik to come up with a design. Hope you guys can come on board with this idea.
For sure, I'm in.
I'm building the Mini Mamoli Britannia right now and have the CAFModel HMS Enterprise and (hopefully soon to have) the Alert, so a good variation in scales would help. Having said that, if a design is created and just scaled in the software before putting it through the CNC for every customer order, I'm not sure if that's how it works?

I am sure once Kris has has created the 3D model,the design can simply be scaled to suit individual models and cut on the CNC mill.Only issue to keep cost down,everyone would have to agree on the designROTF

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back