Mythical sea creatures research. .

Ahoy!
Mythical sea creatures - very good idea. I need good drawings only. We can design and make everything in wood :) .

SERIOUSLY NOW.

Kris , I sent you a pm. There's several members interested in this SMALL PROJECT for their ship model.

@Brian077 - it is VERY BIG PROJECT. Sizes of figures will be ....................... from 5 to 15 cm. One set consists with 4 figures. It's the same as, if you need 4 wood figureheads for the model HMS VICTORY in scale 1/36. :)
Design of the mythical sea creatures is NOT PROBLEM. Expected design time for one figure is ................. 30 up to 50 hours.
Working hours of the CNC milling machine for ONE FIGURE........... 15-25 hours. For one set (4 pcs.) we need 60 - 100 hours.

Summarizing - 1 set of monsters (4 pcs) it is approximate 120 working hours of our CNC devices. IT IS VERY BIG PROJECT.

PRICE :)

for comparison <https://www.cafmodel.com/products/hms-royal-caroline-scale-1-24-figurehead-for-wood-model-ship-kit>

As seen in the link above. - the approximate price of a set of monsters will be...... 500 - 1000 USD

SO....... IF SOMEONE NEEDS MYTHICAL SEA CREATURES FOR MODEL SHIP DISPLAY STAND................ WE CAN DO IT.

As seen in the link above. - the approximate price of a set of monsters will be...... 500 - 1000 USD
I understand the amount of work that goes into designing and making these figures, however the estimated cost is more than most members are willing to pay for this hobby.
Even if we built a once in a lifetime scratch built PoF model, the cost will still be prohibitive.
As Brian suggested above what would you see as the best pre-sales numbers of these items to be able to bring the cost down considerably?

Ahoy!
you would need to spread the cost over a few sets for members. I cannot pay for the research and development myself.

Brian077@ - the time needed to design the figure is 30-50 hours. This is the research and development. If there are two people willing to have the same figure (the same monster) It will be half the price per person.
But we STILL NEED 60 - 100 hours to produce one set of monsters. For one person.

As Brian suggested above what would you see as the best pre-sales numbers of these items to be able to bring the cost down considerably?

The running time of the CNC machines will be the same. Cost reduction ............. resin casting for painting. But it is NOT WOOD :-(

At a glance the ones in Jolley Roger's post, doesn't look overly complex or detailed to me. I would think (read:guess) if one fish was 3D printed or carved manually then it should be possible to make copies with home made tools. Either one side at the time with a pantograph router or both sides in one go with a 4 axis copy router. Of course, also that way it would take a many hours to make, the main difference is that the ship builder could do it himself (maybe even borrow the original from someone else)
There is woodworking fellow in Canada, Mathias Wandel, who has some good looking plans for a copy router. Some of the work other people has made using his copy router looks really amazing.
https://www.woodgears.ca/copy_carver/index.html
For tiny details maybe the 3D pantograph router with a Proxxon IBS/E (collet chuck version) is a better option. Here's a guy making some impressive small guitar inlays with that setup: https://www.woodgears.ca/reader/alois/inlay.html

finish them to their own liking

Say, you're on to something there @Jim J , so imagine if you will a catalog of heads, torso's, arms, tails.... All in various sized for diferent scales, as
a kit in their own. You pick each individual component to match your build/taste. All the sudden you could have 100 variations of the same thing
complimenting the models.

This idea brought to you by "Beethoven : Fur Elise" ( without music, Im blank )

Really good idea Brian and some creative suggestions here too. I've never tried to do wood carving on my ships because I didn't think I could manage the scale. But because creatures on a stand pedestal would be much larger they might be doable. I'll have a go and let you know how it goes. Although I may end up changing my name to Nine Fingers!o_O

@brian77 I'm wondering if a Group Order would be possible at all, unless all in the group build the same ship in the same scale. I would think the pedestals should be made individually to fit the hull of the ship? Not at least if they are made in one piece which seems to be the case with those in Jolley Roger's post.

Back