NANTUCKET LIGHTSHIP - 1:95 scale by LINDBERG

Your attention to detail is amazing! A couple time there I had to use the background of the picture to make sure I wasn't looking at the real thing.

Might be a goofy question; what brand and type of paint was used on all this? Your color matching was perfect.

Your attention to detail is amazing! A couple time there I had to use the background of the picture to make sure I wasn't looking at the real thing.

Might be a goofy question; what brand and type of paint was used on all this? Your color matching was perfect.

Matt - I used a flat gray and flat white Krylon primer for undercoats. For the lower hull I used Krylon Red Oxide, the upper painted with Testors Red Gloss. Decks were painted with Testors Gray. I used Testors enamel bottle paints for grays, white, and blacks. For all of my deck fittings and towers, I used White Ensign Models USCG Spar paint. I then sprayed everything with a couple of coats of Dullcoat to flatten out the finish. I used this site as a guideline to try and stay accurate (as much as I could) with paint scheme of these ships. https://media.defense.gov/2017/Mar/29/2001723579/-1/-1/0/CIM_10360_3D.PDF Weathering was created with Bragdon Enterprises FF-162 powders; graphite and AK Rust wash.

Last edited:
Congratulations - a beautiful and highly interesting model.....great work
The end of a model construction is the beginning of a new one - do you have already a new project?

Uwek - thank you for following along. I thought I would be starting on my Bounty Launch wooden kit, but I would like to build either LIndberg's 1:124 scale Blockade Runner or try my hand at converting Lindberg's 1:60 scale Shrimp Boat to look like Forest Gump's 'Jenny" shrimper.

Congratulations on a very nice model, good luck with the next building !.

Matt - I used a flat gray and flat white Krylon primer for undercoats. For the lower hull I used Krylon Red Oxide, the upper painted with Testors Red Gloss. Decks were painted with Testors Gray. I used Testors enamel bottle paints for grays, white, and blacks. For all of my deck fittings and towers, I used White Ensign Models USCG Spar paint. I then sprayed everything with a couple of coats of Dullcoat to flatten out the finish. I used this site as a guideline to try and stay accurate (as much as I could) with paint scheme of these ships. https://media.defense.gov/2017/Mar/29/2001723579/-1/-1/0/CIM_10360_3D.PDF Weathering was created with Bragdon Enterprises FF-162 powders; graphite and AK Rust wash.

Thank you, I'll be adding some of that to my buy list.

Back