national maritime museum

My 1:32 scale model of the US Navy’s 1900 Standard 40’ Steam Cutter. In 1900 the navy standardized its boats to be carried aboard US Warships. Complete working drawings for each boat were then published in a Boat Book. More than enough to build a model. A paper describing these boats with example drawings was also published in the 1898 SNAME Transactions. My boat was built from drawings from this SNAME paper. In the early 2000’s the entire boat book was republished. Used, but expensive, copies are often found on line.

Unfortunately neither the Boat Book nor the SNAME paper describes the boat’s steam power plant in the same detail. Mystic Seaport has one of the boat’s engines in their collection and information can be found about the Ward Watertube boiler and the reciprocating steam driven pumps.

For those of you that believe that no model is complete without a cannon, the boat could be armed with a 1lb QF Hochkiss gun.

I published a paper in the Summer 1990 discussing my resarch

Roger

IMG_1218.jpegIMG_0171.jpeg

My 1:32 scale model of the US Navy’s 1900 Standard 40’ Steam Cutter. In 1900 the navy standardized its boats to be carried aboard US Warships. Complete working drawings for each boat were then published in a Boat Book. More than enough to build a model. A paper describing these boats with example drawings was also published in the 1898 SNAME Transactions. My boat was built from drawings from this SNAME paper. In the early 2000’s the entire boat book was republished. Used, but expensive, copies are often found on line.

Unfortunately neither the Boat Book nor the SNAME paper describes the boat’s steam power plant in the same detail. Mystic Seaport has one of the boat’s engines in their collection and information can be found about the Ward Watertube boiler and the reciprocating steam driven pumps.

For those of you that believe that no model is complete without a cannon, the boat could be armed with a 1lb QF Hochkiss gun.

I published a paper in the Summer 1990 discussing my resarch

Roger

View attachment 459388View attachment 459387
a wonderful model and highly interesting subject

For those interested in Steam Launches I recommend the book The Steam Launch by Mitchell. A used copy is currently available on Amazon for $28. Lots of photos of launches and machinery as well as some drawings.

Although not in my library, I suggest Steamboats and Steam Launches by Bill Durham. He was once the (American) model steam launch Guru and published a magazine about them. I believe, that the book is a collection of his articles.

Roger

Back