Need Help with Clamping

Can anyone suggest a method for clamping the bow of a small boat? I'm building the dories for my Bluenose and all my clamps keep slipping off the bow planks when I'm trying to pull them together against the bow support piece. Getting a little frustrated and methinks there is an easier way that I'm just not thinking of. Cheers and thanks for any suggestions. I'me considering building a jig.

Can you hold them in place while applying a thin CA which sets in seconds?

I used these when I build the lifeboat for my Tug

View attachment 195906

I padded the jaws with blue painters tape and a layer of wax paper and fit them around the bow. I applied just enough pressure to hold the planks in place. Don’t know the size of your build, but it might work for you also.

Jan
Awesome, more tools to buy. :eek: Still waiting on a set of clamps I ordered a week or so ago... My gorilla CA glue has welded itself inside the cap for the 3rd time. Really annoyed with that setup. I've wasted way too much glue. They need a metal applicator tip like the one that came with my Revell Apollo rocket build. Beautiful applicator setup, long thin metal tube that let the glue out 1 drop at a time in pinpoint accuracy. Unfortunately that glue works well for plastic models not so much with wood. Though it is awesome for stiffening ropes and dropping onto rigging knots.

Can anyone suggest a method for clamping the bow of a small boat? I'm building the dories for my Bluenose and all my clamps keep slipping off the bow planks when I'm trying to pull them together against the bow support piece. Getting a little frustrated and methinks there is an easier way that I'm just not thinking of. Cheers and thanks for any suggestions. I'me considering building a jig.
Try Micro Mark in New Jersey, USA. Check out their online catalog and you'll find they carry a wide range of tools, paints and products, with many items especially for model ship builders. I've been using their stuff for 10+ years and highly recommend them.

View attachment 195906

I padded the jaws with blue painters tape and a layer of wax paper and fit them around the bow. I applied just enough pressure to hold the planks in place. Don’t know the size of your build, but it might work for you also.

Jan
Where did you get this clamp? I did a google image search and didn't find anything.

Awesome, more tools to buy. :eek: Still waiting on a set of clamps I ordered a week or so ago... My gorilla CA glue has welded itself inside the cap for the 3rd time. Really annoyed with that setup. I've wasted way too much glue. They need a metal applicator tip like the one that came with my Revell Apollo rocket build. Beautiful applicator setup, long thin metal tube that let the glue out 1 drop at a time in pinpoint accuracy. Unfortunately that glue works well for plastic models not so much with wood. Though it is awesome for stiffening ropes and dropping onto rigging knots.
Try Zap-a-gap glue (medium) and their Z-ends. You can get them on Amazon.

I can tell you what I did. I used a strong cord or string to wrap around the ship. Straight across and diagonally to hold pieces in place. Then where needed I would slip small scrap wood under the string for more force. You can also use nails but I found they don’t hold as good. Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 17B3F247-E049-445C-8884-AEA6BE66C4F3.jpeg
    17B3F247-E049-445C-8884-AEA6BE66C4F3.jpeg
    220.9 KB · Views: 45
Try shipping tape. The very clear, strong type that the post office sells. Can withstand lots of pressure but is still flexible and unlike strapping tape it come off the wood easily.

I think we all face this issue with any sharp curved end. I use the CA gel clamp method. I set up the plank where it needs to lay on the bow...then place a drop of CA gel on the end where it meets the keel...hold in place with my finger clamps for 15 seconds...done. All this because I got frustrated with clamps slipping off in the same way. CA gel works great clamping fingers together as well! :)

View attachment 195906

Jan
Nice looking clamp. Can you tell me the brand name? Thanks

Try Micro Mark in New Jersey, USA. Check out their online catalog and you'll find they carry a wide range of tools, paints and products, with many items especially for model ship builders. I've been using their stuff for 10+ years and highly recommend them.
I have some clamps coming from them.

Back