need some ideas please

Have a look at the following jpg and see if you can figure out how the framing goes. The distance between stations is 61" and the area with the x through it is approx. 52"
The original ship was single frames of 11 or 12" but I have a feeling because of the extra weight of guns and amount the shipwright double framed it. I just can't seem to make it work.
The ship went from 32 gun frigate to 54 gun, 28 - 28 pounders and the upper deck from none to 26 32 pounders.
Interesting eh.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
Daveframe.jpg

can you show a image of more of the drawing?

is the ship English, american, french each country framed ships differently

It is the HMS Psyche 1814, British.
I also looked at Stricklands past builds. The Charlotte was built by him and using the wreck as a guideline I was able to figure that the x area after the deadflat was 3 frames put together. So the transition from floor to chock frame at keel was achieved.
He also deviated from the original, since the British shipped in frame to Kingston as single frame construction. Strickland went to double frame. Extra guns means more weight. He also, using the St.Lawrence, regent, and Charlotte as examples, did away with hanging knees, so he had to add strength some how.
When I extrapolated these double frame up to the gun ports , they fit.
Also for interest, again using the wreck of Charolette, the fast construction time, Strickland used iron spikes, and bolts to assemble the ship. This included the planking inside and out.

oh i have the plans of her

she was a fur built "kit" sent to Kingston to be reassembled yes i remember it was William Bell who was sent to Quebec to retrieve the timbering and Bell re designed the hull construction. Bell also built the ST. Lawrence.

thanks i had this on file with no name i knew it was one of the wrecks at Kingston but did not know which one

oh i have the plans of her

she was a fur built "kit" sent to Kingston to be reassembled yes i remember it was William Bell who was sent to Quebec to retrieve the timbering and Bell re designed the hull construction. Bell also built the ST. Lawrence.
You and I have discussed this same area before. Bell went to England to contest the hiring of Strickland as master Shipwright. This was in July When he returned to Canada in September he was an assistant master shipwright to Strickland. He was then sent to Quebec to sort out the remaininf frames etc. To see if they were worth sending to Kingston.
This is all confirmed in Bell's own papers.
I contend that Strickland saw how the others, like St. Lawrence, Regent and Charlotte were constructed and followed the same lines.
It is stated on the plans of both Charlotte and Psyche By Strickland not Bell.

My other concern is the Keel itself.
The original was 13 square and a false keel on bottom.
St. Lawrence and Charlotte did not have a false keel. If the Psyche did not as well how big was it.
The plans state 13" sided but he has crossed off the false keel.. Bigger or still 13"

i think the only things sent from England was the framing so if Bell and Strickland had the Princess Charlotte under construction i would suspect they followed the same timbering sizes for things like the keel, keelson, deck clamps etc. both were the same size ships.

Have a look at the following jpg and see if you can figure out how the framing goes. The distance between stations is 61" and the area with the x through it is approx. 52"
The original ship was single frames of 11 or 12" but I have a feeling because of the extra weight of guns and amount the shipwright double framed it. I just can't seem to make it work.
The ship went from 32 gun frigate to 54 gun, 28 - 28 pounders and the upper deck from none to 26 32 pounders.
Interesting eh.
Thanks for any help you can give me.
DaveView attachment 173769
Hi Davef. I like to tune in here with you with some thoughts with you permission to come aboard. you probably seen and know most of this, just seeing what help's you and what doesn't. The x that you show on the keel I believe is the scarph joint of the keel being shifted to a better place because my understanding is the station lines were also the joints line of the bends and shifting it because of the joint of the bend more then any thing else. The scarfs of the keel, depending on her rate went from 5 feet to 3 feet 2 inches. If you could measure from the beginning of one x to the end of that x and see what you come up with if you don't mind. As far as the lay out of the frames am more inclined to go with bend's and filler and the only place to have three frames put together was as you said the shifting of the floors at the dead flat. Goodwin in his book The Sailing man of War talks about the old framing to the new framing going from 1650 - 1710, to 1750-1811 to the Seppings method of 1811 to 1850. In The biggest item that I can find that may of changed her framing was when they stop using chocks and scarf's and went to just butting the pieces together making building the frames faster, and less costly. One thing from looking at the growth of what they did it seems that they kept that same system of framing but went to butts. There are more things that change how the framing change but with out reading more its hard to say. Was this true for every ship they built, probably not and each master shipwright build them his way. Being he was a English ship wight I would think he built them has he was taught in England. Another is the gun ports. When the framed out the gun ports the bends made up the side of the ports and had strict commands not to cut in to the bends or (double frames) put together as one. Another item that I read about was wooden hanging knees and believe the reason they stop using them was because they ran out of wooden one which some what forced them to go to iron knees. Much like the merchants who was already using them so they could carry more cargo. The English navy was a little slow on changes and was slightly behind the merchants way of doing things. I do believe that the French already were using iron knees in their vessels from early on. If he didn't use them it may of been because he went using iron ones. I uploaded a plate from John Fincham who was a Master ship wright and was teaching at the Royal Naval College at Portsmouth England between 1812 to 1830 which fit's the time line of when Psyche was being built and what they was and was not doing. GaryImage (2).jpgImage.jpg

Last edited:
Davef. Am not sure if you have David Lyon's book The Sailing Navy list gives info on the Princess Charlotte and the Psyche. Says that the princess Charlotte was launch 1814 and 1815 or later renamed Burlington. Looks like her guns was changed out a couple of time's. He says she was sold and broken up in 1833. On Psyche says that Master ship wright Strickland used what the shipyard sent him and was modified by him to produce this Frigate. Says her guns was 28 24 pounders and 28 32 pound carronade. If also says their are lines and a profile (showing the Alteration) which I figure you already have. I did noticed in your first post you mention 28 pounders. I don't think they made 28 pounders but could they meant 24 pounders instead. Do believe the cannon went from 24 pound's up to 42 pounders I believe, ok I go back to Alfred now.. :) Gary

Last edited:
Hi Davef. I like to tune in here with you with some thoughts with you permission to come aboard. Forgive me if you seen and know most of this, just seeing what help's you and what doesn't. The x that you show on the keel I believe is the scarph joint of the keel being shifted to a better place because my understanding is the station lines were also the joints line of the bends and shifting it because of the joint of the bend more then any thing else. The scarfs of the keel, depending on her rate went from 5 feet to 3 feet 2 inches. If you could measure from the beginning of one x to the end of that x and see what you come up with if you don't mind good sir. As far as the lay out of the frames am more inclined to go with bend's and filler and the only place to have three frames put together was as you said the shifting of the floors at the dead flat. Goodwin in his book The Sailing man of War talks about the old framing to the new framing going from 1650 - 1710, to 1750-1811 to the Seppings method of 1811 to 1850. In The biggest item that I can find that may of changed her framing was when they stop using chocks and scarf's and went to just butting the pieces together making building the frames faster, and less costly. One thing from looking at the growth of what they did it seems that they kept that same system of framing but went to butts. There are more things that change how the framing change but with out reading more its hard to say. Was this true for every ship they built, probably not and each master shipwright build them his way. Being he was a English ship wight I would think he built them has he was taught in England. Another is the gun ports. When the framed out the gun ports the bends made up the side of the ports and had strict commands not to cut in to the bends or (double frames) put together as one. Another item that I read about was wooden hanging knees and believe the reason they stop using them was because they ran out of wooden one which some what forced them to go to iron knees. Much like the merchants who was already using them so they could carry more cargo. The English navy was a little slow on changes and was slightly behind the merchants way of doing things. I do believe that the French already were using iron knees in their vessels from early on. If he didn't use them it may of been because he went using iron ones. I uploaded a plate from John Fincham who was a Master ship wright and was teaching at the Royal Naval College at Portsmouth England between 1812 to 1830 which fit's the time line of when Psyche was being built and what they was and was not doing. Hope this helps and if I put things you already know forgive me for that GaryView attachment 174220View attachment 174221
Gary you and everyone associated with shipbuilding is welcome to comment. The thing is I get fixated on one thing and don't see the whole.
I did think about the scarf idea but what I didn't show are more x's fore and aft. As you saay they could be scarfs but where they are placed would weaken the ship.
I am aware of goodwin's books and have they ALWAYS handy. The only thing that he didn't rake into consideration is where the ship was built.
In North America 1750's approx. to early 1800's. British built their ships with the aid of French craftsmen. To say the least let's look at the Ontario. Built by a british shipwright, but instead of single framing he employed double framing, spaced apart, not close together. Plans of Ontario reflect that.
So its safe to say conditions, available material, determine how the ship will be built. Sepping's although in the time era, would probably not had any influence in North America.

Posts by Dave Stevens, in the past, have definitely made it clear that alternative construction methods where used in North America.

When I looked at reports written by Strickland after 1820, on the condition of the ships in Ordinary, He never mentioned iron knees etc. The only thing he comments on were lodging knees and rot.
It is important that the framing runs up the sides of the ports. But it is also evident that some doubles would be split, in other words half of the double would rest under the port while the next frame would travel up the side of the port.
Again I have the books by John Finchman, but he is not really relevant here.
Keep throwing those ideas out I may have missed something

i think the only things sent from England was the framing so if Bell and Strickland had the Princess Charlotte under construction i would suspect they followed the same timbering sizes for things like the keel, keelson, deck clamps etc. both were the same size ships.
Dave, David Lyons says the the Princess Charlotte was 121 on the gun deck and 37 feet 8 inches in breadth and 8feet 8 1/2 inches in the hold. Psyche was 130 ft on the gun deck, 36 feet 7 inches in breadth and 10 feet 3 inches in the hold. The difference in length is probably due to the number of guns she carried. Sounds like the Constitution. Wonder if they had a connection some were to the Constitution?

Davef. Am not sure if you have David Lyon's book The Sailing Navy list gives info on the Princess Charlotte and the Psyche. Says that the princess Charlotte was launch 1814 and 1815 or later renamed Burlington. Looks like her guns was changed out a couple of time's. He says she was sold and broken up in 1833. On Psyche says that Master ship wright Strickland used what the shipyard sent him and was modified by him to produce this Frigate. Says her guns was 28 24 pounders and 28 32 pound carronade. If also says their are lines and a profile (showing the Alteration) which I figure you already have. I did noticed in your first post you mention 28 pounders. I don't think they made 28 pounders but could they meant 24 pounders instead. Do believe the cannon went from 24 pound's up to 42 pounders I believe, ok I go back to Alfred now.. :) Gary
Yes I have David Lyons book, but there are some inaccuracies.
Princess Charlotte was launched july/august of 1814. She was renamed Burlington but not until October as she was in Ordinary. There would have confusion as a nother ship was the Princess Charlotte.
As far as the Psyche her keel was laid September of 1814 and launched December 24th of that year.
She was to have 28 -28 pounders on the gun deck but only 26-30 pounders on the upper deck.
This all confirmed by Thomas Mossington who was in charge of pay and acquisitions. I have his papers and he did keep a pretty detailed accounts of both pay and what was need in dispersments for each ship.
If you look in the book, British smooth bore armament, they did make 28 pounders.
A lot of supplies for the ships in North America were salvaged of of old or damaged ships. Not necessarily on the lakes. Ships docking at Quebec, or Nova Scotia, that were beyond fixable were torn down for their supplies.
Example, cordage, sails etc., came from ships docked at Quebec for use on the lake ships.

Dave, David Lyons says the the Princess Charlotte was 121 on the gun deck and 37 feet 8 inches in breadth and 8feet 8 1/2 inches in the hold. Psyche was 130 ft on the gun deck, 36 feet 7 inches in breadth and 10 feet 3 inches in the hold. The difference in length is probably due to the number of guns she carried. Sounds like the Constitution. Wonder if they had a connection some were to the Constitution?
I beleave when Dave Stevens said that they were similar, he is correct. The differences in the deck length when you look at the big picture, they are similar.
As far as the Constitution Humprey's designed a heavy Frigate but along the lines of merchant ship. Long and slender, fast but with big teeth.

Davef seeing it through your eyes help's me in learning even more about them . Thank you. I didn't think about the French builder that was there and if they did have a input sounds to me like it was French framing which always seem to be total double frames the whole way. Even the English used ideals from the French like for the size of their 74's. It allways good and helpful when you can have a good conversation , so when you leave it you have more to think about then when you enter. I keep putting them out their as long as I have someone ear to listen. Gary

Last edited:
Davef at the moment good sir you have me at a disadvantage but seeing it through your eyes help's me in learning even more about them . Thank you. I didn't think about the French builder that was there and if they did have a input sounds to me like it was French framing which always seem to be total double frames the whole way. Even the English used ideals from the French like for the size of their 74's. It allways good and helpful when you can have a good conversation , so when you leave it you have more to think about then when you enter. I keep putting them out their as long as I have someone ear to listen. Gary
Almost everything I have said is either through research or discussions with other members. As you said when you can come away having to think more it's a good conversation.
I search far and wide on the internet for information. I contact marine museums on what they may have. I also contact government facilities to get relevant material I got from other sources.
But the best information I have gotten is from other people. Sometimes they know stuff and you have to ask, where the H did they get that?
Keep talking and asking, I do.

Back