New A/L kits

I just spent a couple of hours looking over the new kits from Artisan Latina. Will this be the future of POB kits?
Can you post also a link to show us the "new" Artesania Latina kits?

Unfortunately They are a rehash of older kits with significant cheapening of quality.
The boast things like Museum Quality stand! ( OMG ROFL) No plans, no written instruction ( just a PDF on CD of photos of the build process.)
Sadly this company has gone from average to low quality to sub par over priced kits where you paint cheap chinese sourced wood to to look like its walnut, maple, mahogany etc.

Unfortunately They are a rehash of older kits with significant cheapening of quality.
The boast things like Museum Quality stand! ( OMG ROFL) No plans, no written instruction ( just a PDF on CD of photos of the build process.)
Sadly this company has gone from average to low quality to sub par over priced kits where you paint cheap chinese sourced wood to to look like its walnut, maple, mahogany etc.
Their new, huge Soleil Royal looks like they put some time into it, but the detail in the carvings is not as sharp as it could be. It does appear that the older kits do seem to be suffering from lack of material quality and detail.

I hope this is not how others will start to move towards. On line only instructions? The product just looks flimsy to me. I have built several A/L kits and with a lot of bashing turned out fairly well but not any more I guess.

I'm really not getting why so much bashing on kits that seem quite decent to me

The kits were good when deagostini was releasing them, now suddenly they suck? because they miss walnut? come on...

On the Wasa topic and here the old up seems to be "museum quality" claim, who cares what's on the outside of the box? what's inside is clearly way better than any other kit available. The kit is head and shoulders above the other kits available that haven't been touched since the 60's or whatever
Corel decorations are atrocious, there's no other way to put it
Billing laser etched planking on decks is no better than it

And no i will not consider the carvings from zhl since, they are not a full kit. and along with shipping and taxes they cost nearly as much as the full kit from artesania, and you need one of the cheaper kits added to the price, going way over what artesania is asking for it's kit. Not to mention that they can't even be bent and just stand there on the stern galleries, everyone stops caring for accuracy when it's about zhl and pretty carvings somehow

The wasa from artesania also seems to be bigger than the other 2

The soleil royal from artesania is more expensive than the ZHL, but seems to have way way way better decorations than the one sold by ZHL, wich seems it's not even made by ZHL, if you actually hold the white metal decorations from the ZHL soleil, they really suck, they are bulky, thick and overall "meh", go and have a proper look at them, the Artesania really starts looking way better

The mantua/sergal has it's shortcomings that have been discussed extensivly over the years, and is on most places that you can find it slightly more expensive than the artesania one

I can't get better decorations for the soleil royal from zhl, but i can definetly get some walnut for the artesania if i really want to

Seems that, it's bashing new kits for the sake of bashing them, as if great utopic kits are available under any rock we kick, without bothering to actually compare to the current offer that actually exists for each of these ships

Anyone that is not familiar with kits would think from reading most of the coments on these new kits, that clearly there's better and cheaper options easily available, it's like the kits are beeing compared to a quality standard that simply does not exist

Also, go buy the Soleil Royal from ZHL and let me know what instructions they bring, or i can tell you now, they bring a CD

Maybe i'm the weird one, but instruction on a CD isn't something that will make like or dislike a kit, even not owning a CD drive for over 6 years, i send an email, they give me the files, and i print whatever i feel i want printed. It doesn't affect how i feel about the kit

To sum up, the kits are not perfect for sure, they are on the expensive side for sure, by all means point out what you feel is wrong with them, and what should be done better in your opinion, but give credit where credit is due, and don't bash a kit as if there's nothing good about it because of some promo on the box, when the kit is solid at the very least a solid alternative to what exists, if nothing else, because what exists sucks even more.

I personally am mostly glad it's moving forward, i can't remember even the last time we got in a few months a new model of a Wasa a Soleil Royal and now a Titanic from occre

Last edited:
just checked out the A.L. website . on the vasa kit they show the deck with cannon and a figurine. Is it just me or do the rigging blocks for the cannon seem grossly oversized and the belay pins on the rail look like half the size of the figurine. They say the kit is for the advanced builder, but any "advanced builder" would not tolerate the disregard for scale that most companies seem to have, such as one size of blocks for all, oversized belay pins, undersized capstans ect. on the plus side the decorations and figures that adorn the hull look great.

The kits were good when deagostini was releasing them, now suddenly they suck? because they miss walnut? come on...

On the Wasa topic and here the old up seems to be "museum quality" claim, who cares what's on the outside of the box? what's inside is clearly way better than any other kit available. The kit is head and shoulders above the other kits available that haven't been touched since the 60's or whatever

And no i will not consider the carvings from zhl since, they are not a full kit. and along with shipping and taxes they cost nearly as much as the full kit from artesania, and you need one of the cheaper kits added to the price, going way over what artesania is asking for it's kit. Not to mention that they can't even be bent and just stand there on the stern galleries, everyone stops caring for accuracy when it's about zhl and pretty carvings somehow

The soleil royal from artesania is more expensive than the ZHL, but seems to have way way way better decorations than the one sold by ZHL, wich seems it's not even made by ZHL, if you actually hold the white metal decorations from the ZHL soleil, they really suck, they are bulky, thick and overall "meh", go and have a proper look at them, the Artesania really starts looking way better

The mantua/sergal has it's shortcomings that have been discussed extensivly over the years, and is on most places that you can find it slightly more expensive than the artesania one

I can't get better decorations for the soleil royal from zhl, but i can definetly get some walnut for the artesania if i really want to

Seems that, it's bashing new kits for the sake of bashing them, as if great utopic kits are available under any rock we kick, without bothering to actually compare to the current offer that actually exists for each of these ships

Anyone that is not familiar with kits would think from reading most of the coments on these new kits, that clearly there's better and cheaper options easily available, it's like the kits are beeing compared to a quality standard that simply does not exist

Also, go buy the Soleil Royal from ZHL and let me know what instructions they bring, or i can tell you now, they bring a CD

Maybe i'm the weird one, but instruction on a CD isn't something that will make like or dislike a kit, even not owning a CD drive for over 6 years, i send an email, they give me the files, and i print whatever i feel i want printed. It doesn't affect how i feel about the kit

To sum up, the kits are not perfect for sure, they are on the expensive side for sure, by all means point out what you feel is wrong with them, and what should be done better in your opinion, but give credit where credit is due, and don't bash a kit as if there's nothing good about it because of some promo on the box, when the kit is solid at the very least a solid alternative to what exists, if nothing else, because what exists sucks even more.

I personally am mostly glad it's moving forward, i can't remember even the last time we got in a few months a new model of a Wasa a Soleil Royal and now a Titanic from occre
Currently working on a ZHL Soleil Royale. Really not all too happy with it. There's about 20 lbs of castings on this thing. They really are not the best quality. Instruction virtually non existent. Putting together the stern gallery is a definate challenge. Over all,,,, almost wish that I had bought something else.

The kits are fine for what they are: FAIR to GOOD representations of the ship, not GREAT - when it comes to historical accuracy and quality of materials. A kit model looks okay. However, when you correct the inaccurate shape, incorrect and simplified fittings, and rigging with modifications, you CAN make the model fit for a museum. That usually means adding a LOT of details, replacing the softwood with quality hardwood, and fixing the historically inaccurate features. Don't believe we are criticizing kits just for fun. We are just comparing the quality of the kits to a very high standard, that of the scratch built, historically correct, and highly detailed ship model. We certainly do not want the kits to disappear. In fact, the best way to shortcut the process of making a detailed model isn't to scratch build it, but take a kit and BASH it (that means, make massive modifications to it). This is especially a good way to build if you are an intermediate skilled builder, not a master. Kits built exactly as the instructions show using only the provided materials are for the beginners to gain experience learning with. It is hard not to criticize the quality of the kits when you see how cheap many of the materials are. Intermediate skill builders are very tempted to transition from bashed kits to scratch built models using only plans. Where you are on the road from kit to scratch-built is different for everyone. What matters is that you progress to better models and enjoy the journey, helping those behind you and learning from those in front of you as you go.

Last edited:
The kits are fine for what they are: FAIR to GOOD representations of the ship, not GREAT - when it comes to historical accuracy and quality of materials. A kit model looks okay. However, when you correct the inaccurate shape, incorrect and simplified fittings, and rigging with modifications, you CAN make the model fit for a museum. That usually means adding a LOT of details, replacing the softwood with quality hardwood, and fixing the historically inaccurate features. Don't believe we are criticizing kits just for fun. We are just comparing the quality of the kits to a very high standard, that of the scratch built, historically correct, and highly detailed ship model. We certainly do not want the kits to disappear. In fact, the best way to shortcut the process of making a detailed model isn't to scratch build it, but take a kit and BASH it (that means, make massive modifications to it). This is especially a good way to build if you are an intermediate skilled builder, not a master. Kist built exactly as the instructions show using only the provided materials are for the beginners to gain experience learning with. It is hard not to criticize the quality of the kits when you see how cheap many of the materials are. Intermediate skill builders are very tempted to transition from bashed kits to scratch built models using only plans. Where you are on the road from kit to scratch-built is different for everyone. What matters is that you progress to better models and enjoy the journey, helping those behind you and learning from those in front of you as you go.
Agree 100%. The only issue, at least for me anyways, is that I don't know when to quit. My Mirage from Corel, while not bad a cost, is breaking my budget because I can't stop modifying it. I am on year 3 and still haven't finished the standing rigging. The interesting thing about the Mirage is that it is a ship that never existed, so I am trying to model it based on the Soleil Royal.

Last edited:
just checked out the A.L. website . on the vasa kit they show the deck with cannon and a figurine. Is it just me or do the rigging blocks for the cannon seem grossly oversized and the belay pins on the rail look like half the size of the figurine. They say the kit is for the advanced builder, but any "advanced builder" would not tolerate the disregard for scale that most companies seem to have, such as one size of blocks for all, oversized belay pins, undersized capstans ect. on the plus side the decorations and figures that adorn the hull look great.
The figures are the French set and are 1/89 scale. The Vasa is 1/65 scale. Maybe that's good for advertising but a shape eyed modeler like you would think that the model has some scale issues.

I agree with Kurt in that without the ship model companies this hobby would probably wither on the vine as pretty well everyone of us started off by building from kits and progressed to bashing, p.o.b. kits, scratch builds with purchased material and fittings, to manufacturing everything on your own. If I had not started by building a kit model I never would have gained the experience and confidence to start scratch building. My main beef with the kit manufacturers is attention to scale in the fittings supplied, like Jim Nunn mentioned A.L. supplying 1/89 figurines in a 1/64 scale kit. That said, I realize that they are in it for profit and as such use the same fittings for several different kits and scales.

I have buit quite a few AL kits, including the large now no longer available Santa Ana ( Great value kit). They USED to be okay.

The most recent being their $500 Sopwith Camel. It is very cheap plywood and pewter parts. The instructions only come as a PDF on a CD.
There are no written instructions and you piece it together from photos only.
The majority of the part have to be significantly adjusted to fit correctly and in some instances are different to those shown in the photos or provided.
IE the prop is not dual tone, the wheel brackets are not correctly shaped. Etc.
Whist I Did manage to complete what should have been a simple kit, The shortcoming were significant.
I do not BASH companies for the sake of it. This is close hand realworld buulding exprience with their newer endeavours and its not somewithing I would wish on anyone.

Sorry if I offended anyone, but the quality and value for money is not there anymore.
I suggest you look closely at the new instructions & parts list for these kits ( its online) and then make a informed decision.
They do say a picture tells a 1000 words.

Hello Paul,
perhaps Artisana Latina have upgraded their kits in recent times ? Just speculating.
Coffee:)
Cheers Bryian.

Met a fellow Modeller from Beaconsfield who met you at Vic Ship Society.
Got a CC Kit Agge from him for bargain price.
with the CC Victory I'm good for the next 5-10 years!.
Just have to workout which one comes first.

Last edited:
Currently working on a ZHL Soleil Royale. Really not all too happy with it. There's about 20 lbs of castings on this thing. They really are not the best quality. Instruction virtually non existent. Putting together the stern gallery is a definate challenge. Over all,,,, almost wish that I had bought something else.
Even if they are painted gold, you find that the castings don't look good?

This is an interesting conversation... I'm not all the familiar with the Ships of Scale website beyond the basics, but would think, if it doesn't already exist, we would have a Kit Critique section within. Does that exist? And if not can the managers of the site construct one? I have been a kit guy for decades and depending on where the model is headed I either build to the kit or modify as necessary... And since I have purchased foreign kits, specifically AL, the instructions and annotations have been written in Spanish (as well as Amati kits)... With that said, ship building is ship building and I don't really need the instructions to put the kit together anymore. Some research, diagrams, photos and such do the trick for details. Would suggest that those just starting out could get great guidance from the Kit Critique section, which would highlight the details, shortcomings and the positive attributes of the kit... and like Wikipedia, allow discussion modification where and when appropriate... Just a thought.

This is an interesting conversation... I'm not all the familiar with the Ships of Scale website beyond the basics, but would think, if it doesn't already exist, we would have a Kit Critique section within. Does that exist? And if not can the managers of the site construct one? I have been a kit guy for decades and depending on where the model is headed I either build to the kit or modify as necessary... And since I have purchased foreign kits, specifically AL, the instructions and annotations have been written in Spanish (as well as Amati kits)... With that said, ship building is ship building and I don't really need the instructions to put the kit together anymore. Some research, diagrams, photos and such do the trick for details. Would suggest that those just starting out could get great guidance from the Kit Critique section, which would highlight the details, shortcomings and the positive attributes of the kit... and like Wikipedia, allow discussion modification where and when appropriate... Just a thought.
Here you find the area for kit reviews made on SOS:

Back