• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

New carving project in apple: The Stern Decoration of the Royal Charles

A little side project. The Admiral wanted a little cabinet for the spices—one that keeps out sunlight so the spices stay fresh. I found a secondhand medicine cabinet online. I cleaned it, lightly sanded the inside, and thoroughly sanded the outside. I removed the glass from the door and made a panel out of cherry wood. (A tabletop that I cut into thin strips.) I covered the outside with cherry veneer and did a lot of sanding, polishing, and finishing.
20260906_165855.jpg20260906_165840.jpg20260906_165832.jpg
Cherry wood stays beautiful. I did have to clear off my hobby table first, though. But now that the project is finished, I can set up my router station again and get back to work.
And actually it was a lot of fun to do. Especcially to get the veneer on those rounded ends and corners in a way it looks like a piece of wood.
 
A little side project. The Admiral wanted a little cabinet for the spices—one that keeps out sunlight so the spices stay fresh. I found a secondhand medicine cabinet online. I cleaned it, lightly sanded the inside, and thoroughly sanded the outside. I removed the glass from the door and made a panel out of cherry wood. (A tabletop that I cut into thin strips.) I covered the outside with cherry veneer and did a lot of sanding, polishing, and finishing.
View attachment 632516View attachment 632517View attachment 632518
Cherry wood stays beautiful. I did have to clear off my hobby table first, though. But now that the project is finished, I can set up my router station again and get back to work.
And actually it was a lot of fun to do. Especcially to get the veneer on those rounded ends and corners in a way it looks like a piece of wood.
No carving of a stallion on the front? ROTF
very nice work on the carving Stephan. Had a lot to catch up.
 
A little side project. The Admiral wanted a little cabinet for the spices—one that keeps out sunlight so the spices stay fresh. I found a secondhand medicine cabinet online. I cleaned it, lightly sanded the inside, and thoroughly sanded the outside. I removed the glass from the door and made a panel out of cherry wood. (A tabletop that I cut into thin strips.) I covered the outside with cherry veneer and did a lot of sanding, polishing, and finishing.
View attachment 632516View attachment 632517View attachment 632518
Cherry wood stays beautiful. I did have to clear off my hobby table first, though. But now that the project is finished, I can set up my router station again and get back to work.
And actually it was a lot of fun to do. Especcially to get the veneer on those rounded ends and corners in a way it looks like a piece of wood.
Always nice to build a ‘spicy-cabinet’ for the Admiral, Stephan. ‘Liefde gaat door de maag!’
Regards, Peter
 
Back
Top