Caf Model - New Kit 1/48 Le Coureur 1776

I am very interested in how you actually built the frames ... I already tried on a different model with these "stacked futtocks" and had a very hard time to align them to get the correct shape ... full double frames or simple scarfed frames had been much easier to build for me ...

87.jpg88.jpg

Today, I found such a structure when I was making it. Because it's written by dotted lines, I can't see it clearly. It seems to be a ballast tank.I tried to draw it.
89.jpg
Is anyone familiar with this structure? I found this structure in the cargo hold for the first time, so there are many questions.Who can answer, I will be very grateful

I am not an expert but that looks like what other kits have called a well house for pumps or also if near the mast they have shot lockers for holding heavy cannon shot in lower parts of hold until needed for battle.

View attachment 145441View attachment 145442

Today, I found such a structure when I was making it. Because it's written by dotted lines, I can't see it clearly. It seems to be a ballast tank.I tried to draw it.
View attachment 145443
Is anyone familiar with this structure? I found this structure in the cargo hold for the first time, so there are many questions.Who can answer, I will be very grateful
On the drawing is written "Plattform over the Ballast" so it is looking like, that they covered the ballast with one small deck, to have a straight platform
I was checking f.e. the beautiful model of Etienne Piete which is POF which is not showing this detail

I just checked the information about the english drawings given on the RMG web-page:

Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the body plan with stern board and decoration and name on stern counter, sheer lines with inboard detail modifications proposed in green ink, longitudinal half-breadth, and midship section showing the clinker framing, for 'Coureur' (1778), a captured French lugger, as modified to an 8-gun Schooner.
and this lines showing the platform are made in green.....

I am interpreting this information in this way, that the original french lugger had not such a platform, but after she was captured, the english shipwrights modified in 1779 the ship and added among other things this platform!!

BTW: I am looking forward to see once the Coureur and the Alert 1777 together, because the Alert captured the Coureur 17th June 1778....

The British cutter Alert, Lieut. William George Fairfax, attacked the French lugger Coureur. The Alert carried eighty men, twelve 6's, and as many swivels: the Coureur had fifty men, two 3's, eight 2's, and six swivels; she was commanded by Enseigne de Rosily. She was ordered to go to the British Admiral; refused; and was at once fired upon. The two fought at pistol-shot range for nearly an hour and a half, until the Coureur struck. She hit the Alert several times on the water-line and cut up her rigging.

Thank you very much, I've collected a lot of information about coureur, which is the first time that this ballast tank structure has been encountered.
I try to understand it, not just make it
I want to know what role he has played in this ship, because this structure is too special.
I opened the Plans again, as if he had a large sail area for one reason

I agree with Uwe - it clearly says "platform over the ballast", which means it is a wooden platform or deck built over the ballast, which would be probably cast iron ingots laid on the inside hull planking. There isn't a "ballast tank"

Ted

On the drawing is written "Plattform over the Ballast" so it is looking like, that they covered the ballast with one small deck, to have a straight platform
I was checking f.e. the beautiful model of Etienne Piete which is POF which is not showing this detail

I just checked the information about the english drawings given on the RMG web-page:

Scale: 1:48. A plan showing the body plan with stern board and decoration and name on stern counter, sheer lines with inboard detail modifications proposed in green ink, longitudinal half-breadth, and midship section showing the clinker framing, for 'Coureur' (1778), a captured French lugger, as modified to an 8-gun Schooner.
and this lines showing the platform are made in green.....

I am interpreting this information in this way, that the original french lugger had not such a platform, but after she was captured, the english shipwrights modified in 1779 the ship and added among other things this platform!!

BTW: I am looking forward to see once the Coureur and the Alert 1777 together, because the Alert captured the Coureur 17th June 1778....

The British cutter Alert, Lieut. William George Fairfax, attacked the French lugger Coureur. The Alert carried eighty men, twelve 6's, and as many swivels: the Coureur had fifty men, two 3's, eight 2's, and six swivels; she was commanded by Enseigne de Rosily. She was ordered to go to the British Admiral; refused; and was at once fired upon. The two fought at pistol-shot range for nearly an hour and a half, until the Coureur struck. She hit the Alert several times on the water-line and cut up her rigging.

You are right Uwe, that's a delightful looking little model. Caf should have more than a few interested buyers when it becomes available.

Very good looking hull - nice and interesting appearance of the timber - I guess it is pear ....
Also the metal works and small fittings have a good quality - very promising Thumbsup

Very good work (modeling) - and I think very good interpretation of the contemporary drawings.
Only one small comment -> The "mast room" around the main mast (protection against the ballast) is on the drawing more rectangular than square, because at the fore end the pillars of the room are under the beam, and not next to the beam...... the rectangular form was necessary because of the big inclination of the mast and that a sailor could climb down to the mast foot. (red arrow)
j08741.jpg

Is this the pump? (green arrow) - during the french time at this axis the two bilge pumps were located
j08731.jpg

Very interesting topic :cool:

Back