NEW MEMBER building the Charles W Morgan

Hello...My name is Lester Palifka. I am a machine designer with 43 years experience. I have autocad 2000 and solidworks 2010 on my home computer. I have designed rc large scale airplanes , a real experimental plane and some boats..

I am building my first wooden ship model. It is the Charles W Morgan. I am fortunate as I live an hour away from the real ship. I have been fascinated with this ship since I was 9 years old. I am now 63.....I have over 2000 pictures of her I have taken over the course of my life. and some really good detail pictures as she has just gone over a 5 year 7 million dollar restoration. and a lot of the structure and details are exposed. they are going to step the lower masts In October. I plan to be there when they do so I can get pictures..

The kit I am building is the Model shipways one. I have the frames al on and the waterway and deck on. I am now have to decide whether or not to do the hull planking or the bulwarks next. I am a little intimidated with the hull planking and am not quite sure how to begin to do the planking... any help would be appreciated....I know I have to line out the hull but not sure how to do it....then mark off the location of the planks....

I am attaching some pics I hope I did it right.. anyway I am looking forward to interacting with the membership here...

regards,

lester

Hi Lester,
I want to extend you a warm welcome to SoS ! :text-welcomewave:

that is surely a fine ship you have chosen to build. At the moment of reading your post, I do not see any images. I am also impressed by your CAD experience. I use AutoCAD at my office and I bought and use TurboCad at home. So maybe we can share some CAD drawings and some files!

It seems by reading your post that you have a ton of computer experience, but to be on the safe side (and all forums are different) and can be tricky to load images.

There are two ways actually to load images. The fastest and easiest way is to just use the SOS to do this. When you are making a"Post" look near the bottom of screen for "Upload attachment" highlighted with the dark blue bar.

you will see "If you wish to attach one or more files enter the details below."
1) Click on the "browse" button and it should launch your file dialog box and choose ONE file at a time.
2) Now, you can add a "File Comment" and then click on "Add the File" and when you are completely happy with your post, then at the bottom, click submit OR Preview. I really like the "Preview" button as it gives you a chance to see real life of what your post will look like before you send it.

Now
The other option of which I use is to find an image hosting site like Photobucket.com or Flikr or any type of image hosting and link those images here. If you choose this method, I can help you as well getting that going too.

If you have any problems at all, please free to email me directly at donnie@shipsofscale.com

Donnie

ps - I look forward to helping you with the Planking too. This part is often a very intimidating and most understood of all. It looks like first of all that the Morgan has a bluff bow. This just means that the bow has a definite smooth round curve to it. Most Bluff Bows, the planking almost follows the level of the water line. A swan class or a clipper type has a more pointed bow and the planking usually has a gentle up sweep to it.

If you want to see my Trinidad as an example you can follow my build as outlined in my signature below. I can tell you right off that the "Garboard" plank will always be your first plank laid. It is the plank that is laid right next to your keel.

here are some references: (at amazon.com)
Planking the Built-Up Ship Model by Jim Roberts (1987)
Planking Model Ships: A Mini-Practicum by Mr. Robert E. Hunt (Jan 28, 2013)
Planking Techniques for Model Ship Builders by Donald Dressel (Mar 1, 1988)

You will find like most books, some range from horrible to fantastic. I have the one from Donald Dressel and it is "ok".

Welcome to this exciting hobby. Your experience will help in this hobby. Some might think your choice is a little ambitious for your first model, but the materials are pretty good and the instructions are some of the best out there. Patience, reading good building books and asking questions of the members here will get you through any rough spots you might encounter. Just have fun and take time to look at you work and appreciate what you have made from a small amount of material.

Thank you all for the welcome. I look forward to sharing my experiences with you all.... I do have an announcement to make. I will be doing volunteer work at Mystic seaport....my job....Help with re-rigging the Charles W Morgan.. how cool is that.....my experience there will greatly help me to rig my morgan... as I will learn all the rigging of the real ship i live only an hours drive from the seaportmy model will be built as a representation of the ships current restoration....

again i look forward to being a part of this group. I will be posting probably during the winter months as right now time is at a premium. but once the cold weather sets in there will be more free time to concentrate on the Morgan... i have attached some pics of my morgan and my workshop.

with warm regards,

Lester

Welcome Lester...have you decided on an *era* to build the Morgan?
ie...gallery windows....aft poop house addition...ect?

Rob

Hello...My name is Lester Palifka. I am a machine designer with 43 years experience. I have autocad 2000 and solidworks 2010 on my home computer. I have designed rc large scale airplanes , a real experimental plane and some boats..

I am building my first wooden ship model. It is the Charles W Morgan. I am fortunate as I live an hour away from the real ship. I have been fascinated with this ship since I was 9 years old. I am now 63.....I have over 2000 pictures of her I have taken over the course of my life. and some really good detail pictures as she has just gone over a 5 year 7 million dollar restoration. and a lot of the structure and details are exposed. they are going to step the lower masts In October. I plan to be there when they do so I can get pictures..

The kit I am building is the Model shipways one. I have the frames al on and the waterway and deck on. I am now have to decide whether or not to do the hull planking or the bulwarks next. I am a little intimidated with the hull planking and am not quite sure how to begin to do the planking... any help would be appreciated....I know I have to line out the hull but not sure how to do it....then mark off the location of the planks....

I am attaching some pics I hope I did it right.. anyway I am looking forward to interacting with the membership here...

regards,

lester
Hallo Lester, @lesterpalifka
as a long term member, we are very happy to wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Back