New member from Australia

Hello fellow shipbuilders.

Merry Christmas!

I am coming over to SoS with a few projects I have on.

1/40 Cutty Sark kit I am designing and building prototype of for a client, looking to do a limited run of this and want numbers of interest.
I was involved in her restoration as a 3d modeller and draftsman to document her structure and have measured her and scanned her hull with extreme accuracy from stem to stern and have finally got an opportunity to use this info, this will be the first build I post.

1/35 TEV Wahine RC at 4.3m long, A personal project but it might be going to a museum.

1/48 SS Tamahine personal project

Regards Richard

Last edited:
Welcome to the forums Richard.
At 1/40, that really has to be a monster !

Jeff
Hi Jeff
Thanks, yeah I get that a lot but it's not that big, mind you my idea of normal is not what most would call normal. I guess compared to a 1/96 Revell kit it is, but it's easily displayable in a wide hallway, even sitting on a table it's got room above with an 8ft ceiling.
I will try to get the images up in the next couple of days.

Welcome aboard Richard.
I would love to see some pictures of your models. You must have quite a large building site to accomodate a 4 3 m model.

Welcome aboard Richard.
I would love to see some pictures of your models. You must have quite a large building site to accomodate a 4 3 m model.
I am fortunate to have a large double garage with an additional sound proof 3x4 m room off that for my machinery and CNC, lathe etc.
but most importantly a supportive and encouraging wife who does not mind we only have room for 1 car....... I might get some images up of this large one at some point, but here is one for now showing the realistic plating being applied with glazing etc.

DSCN9465.thumb.JPG.ec533bba94e1035f2faeb96e0cd5e394 (1).jpg

That is a very impressive size for a model. From what material is she constructed?

Only room for 1 car.... That must be reserved for your wife's to keep her supportive.

From what material is she constructed?
The 1/35 TEV Wahine above is Bread Butter lower hull from pine and high grade plywood upper with styrene plating, its been sitting through a heatwave to see how the styrene and wood interact.
No problem at all due to the amazing glue used, it's been months in 38 degrees celcius.

We only need 1 car as we both work from home.

I am fortunate to have a large double garage with an additional sound proof 3x4 m room off that for my machinery and CNC, lathe etc.
but most importantly a supportive and encouraging wife who does not mind we only have room for 1 car....... I might get some images up of this large one at some point, but here is one for now showing the realistic plating being applied with glazing etc.

View attachment 416046
Oh Wow that is amazing. How will you move it around to display it etc? Need 4 people to lift. What will be the final weight?
oh I forgot to say welcome to SOS, but I was so amazed by your build.
look forward to more pictures.

Hello Richard.
Welcome to our forum and have fun. Very impressive, I like to look over your shoulder.

Oh Wow that is amazing. How will you move it around to display it etc? Need 4 people to lift. What will be the final weight?
oh I forgot to say welcome to SOS, but I was so amazed by your build.
look forward to more pictures.
Thankyou
It's displaced weight is 195kgs but most of that is portable ballast and transport is a custom trailer, the club lake is only 2kms away from our house. "I will put up a build, currently it's on MSW and nearly 2 years worth of progress so a big job to recreate but the model is built from 400 original shipyard plans and hundreds of photos and slides. The plating weld seams etc are all as per as fitted shell expansion, its a historical record of the ship, with working lateral thrusters as well.
The propellers are 100mm in diameter and made to the plans of actual props by Simon Higgins in the UK

Welcome to this Forum. You’ll find a lot of very helpful people here!
It doesn’t say which state you're from? If you were nearby I would be tempted to pay a visit

View attachment 416046
Wow what a beauty, welcome aboard.

Hello fellow shipbuilders.

Merry Christmas!

I am coming over to SoS with a few projects I have on.

1/40 Cutty Sark kit I am designing and building prototype of for a client, looking to do a limited run of this and want numbers of interest.
I was involved in her restoration as a 3d modeller and draftsman to document her structure and have measured her and scanned her hull with extreme accuracy from stem to stern and have finally got an opportunity to use this info, this will be the first build I post.

1/35 TEV Wahine RC at 4.3m long, A personal project but it might be going to a museum.

1/48 SS Tamahine personal project

Regards Richard
Your choice of vessels makes me curious as to whether you have a past relationship with the Union Steam Ship Company Richard?

Back