New member from Australia

Your choice of vessels makes me curious as to whether you have a past relationship with the Union Steam Ship Company Richard?
I do indeed, My parents worked for them in the 60's at the head office in Wellington. I advise on the Archiving of all the plans for the fleet as well, 58 vessels so far
My father also built some of the models for them of their new ships, Kiamiro and TSMV Marama both in Otago museum now as well as many paintings of the fleet.
I only build ships that have the actual shipyard plans available for them, call it a qwerk I don't know, but that's how I have always been.
I do have a large library of ship plans from all sorts of sources, the old Cunard liners, Mearsk but the old USSC ships just appeal to me.
Its funny to me that often as I go through old plans from the 60,s I see little notes from the Naval Architect who designed many of the USSC ship William Waters ,little notes saying plan given to Mr Dunn for model dated 1967 before I was even thought of.

Last edited:
I do indeed, My parents worked for them in the 60's at the head office in Wellington. I advise on the Archiving of all the plans for the fleet as well, 58 vessels so far
My father also built some of the models for them of their new ships, Kiamiro and TSMV Marama both in Otago museum now as well as many paintings of the fleet.
I only build ships that have the actual shipyard plans available for them, call it a qwerk I don't know, but that's how I have always been.
I do have a large library of ship plans from all sorts of sources, the old Cunard liners, Mearsk but the old USSC ships just appeal to me.
Its funny to me that often as I go through old plans from the 60,s I see little notes from the Naval Architect who designed many of the USSC ship William Waters ,little notes saying plan given to Mr Dunn for model dated 1967 before I was even thought of.
It's a small world Richard. I joined the Union Company in 1960 as an Apprenticed Cadet. My first trip was from Wellington to Picton aboard the Waimate with Worths Circus as cargo, caged lions roaring in the hold and elephants on deck. I am currently attempting to build a RC tug which bears a striking resemblance to the Taioma so if you see a yellow striped green hull with black striped orange funnel on your local pond you will know who is present.

It's a small world Richard. I joined the Union Company in 1960 as an Apprenticed Cadet. My first trip was from Wellington to Picton aboard the Waimate with Worths Circus as cargo, caged lions roaring in the hold and elephants on deck. I am currently attempting to build a RC tug which bears a striking resemblance to the Taioma so if you see a yellow striped green hull with black striped orange funnel on your local pond you will know who is present.
I have those plans to....Well ex Empire Jane and Shirley. Very hard to find the lines for that, it took ages.
I love the Slow greens as ships I have all the fleets plans for all of those, Kaimiro, Kawerau and Waikare mainly
if you want the correct paint colours pm me

Wait what... my local pond...where are you?

Last edited:
I have those plans to....Well ex Empire Jane and Shirley. Very hard to find the lines for that, it took ages.
I love the Slow greens as ships I have all the fleets plans for all of those, Kaimiro, Kawerau and Waikare mainly
if you want the correct paint colours pm me

Wait what... my local pond...where are you?
Birkdale ...
Here is what I am trying to build ...
Ulises.JPG

and here is the Taioma of course ...

Taioma.JPG

Hello fellow shipbuilders.

Merry Christmas!

I am coming over to SoS with a few projects I have on.

1/40 Cutty Sark kit I am designing and building prototype of for a client, looking to do a limited run of this and want numbers of interest.
I was involved in her restoration as a 3d modeller and draftsman to document her structure and have measured her and scanned her hull with extreme accuracy from stem to stern and have finally got an opportunity to use this info, this will be the first build I post.

1/35 TEV Wahine RC at 4.3m long, A personal project but it might be going to a museum.

1/48 SS Tamahine personal project

Regards Richard
Welcome aboard! Will be following your projects, especially the Cutty Sark. That is a large scale kit.

also from my side a warm WELCOME here on board of our forum

Back