• Ships of Scale has incorportated an extra level of security when you log In. Please follow on-screen prompts to acknowledge that you are not a robot via a "Check Box" or a "Pictorial Check Box Puzzle". This is needed due to higher level of AI Activity Security.
  • SUBSCRIBE TO SHIPS IN SCALE TODAY!

    The beloved Ships in Scale Magazine is back and charting a new course for 2026!
    Discover new skills, new techniques, and new inspirations in every issue.

    NOTE THAT OUR NEXT ISSUE WILL BE July/August 2026
  • Win a Free Custom Engraved Brass Coin!!!
    As a way to introduce our brass coins to the community, we will raffle off a free coin during the month of August. Follow link ABOVE for instructions for entering.

New Member From Maryland

Joined
Aug 3, 2026
Messages
8
Points
3

Location
Baltimore, Md.
Hello everyone! I just joined the other day. I'm a beginner modeler. I just received the Model Shipways beginner series set (Lowell Dory, Sailing Pram and Lobster Smack), USS Constitution and Corel Greyhound. I currently have the Dory on the bench. My plan is to finish the beginner series then move on to the Greyhound, unless I feel I need to get another easier build before that to gain experience. We'll see. Definitely holding off on the Constitution until I'm 100% sure I can handle it. I want to do it right. The Greyhound kinda 'spoke' to me since I've been adopting and fostering Greyhounds for 26 years and a few years ago bought my first racer who now has retired with me. I also kinda want to build a US Navy C-2 Greyhound, but, time is an issue at the moment with everything else. Anyway, I'm looking forward to all the great information and people on this forum.
 
Welcome aboard from Massachusetts. I went to college in the Charm City many moons ago! Starting with the Model Shipways series is a great intro to this hobby. They were my first 3 builds as well, and taught me so much. I have build logs here of the pram and smack. There is a You Tube channel called HillBillyModeler who has an outstanding series of videos documenting his builds of these kits. He is an experienced plastics modeler who built these kits as his first woodenship models. I found them invaluable during my builds.

Smart to hold off on the Constitution. I figure I'll be ready to tackle her after 10 or 15 other builds.

Enjoy!
 
. I just received the Model Shipways beginner series set (Lowell Dory, Sailing Pram and Lobster Smack),
Welcome aboard! Excellent choices for the first three.

Your story for the Greyhound is unique and should make for a nice personal touch. There were 16 British ships named Greyhound so you can build a fleet if you want to! Assuming this is Greyhound (20) 1720 built to the 1719 Establishment there are contemporary drawings of the class and the entire 1719 Establishment is available for free on the RMG Collections site that you might find interesting and helpful.

Allan
 
Last edited:
Welcome aboard! Excellent choices for the first three.

Your story for the Greyhound is unique and should make for a nice personal touch. There were 16 British ships named Greyhound so you can build a fleet if you want to! Assuming this is Greyhound (20) 1720 built to the 1719 Establishment there are contemporary drawings of the class and the entire 1719 Establishment is available for free on the RMG Collections site that you might find interesting and helpful.

Allan
Thank you for that info. I will check that out!
 
Welcome aboard from Massachusetts. I went to college in the Charm City many moons ago! Starting with the Model Shipways series is a great intro to this hobby. They were my first 3 builds as well, and taught me so much. I have build logs here of the pram and smack. There is a You Tube channel called HillBillyModeler who has an outstanding series of videos documenting his builds of these kits. He is an experienced plastics modeler who built these kits as his first woodenship models. I found them invaluable during my builds.

Smart to hold off on the Constitution. I figure I'll be ready to tackle her after 10 or 15 other builds.

Enjoy!
I did stumble upon HillBillyModeler the other day. I'll have to finish watching them. They did seem to have some good information.
 
Welcome MDWolfen! I just did a scratch build of the Chesapeake Bay deadrise working crab / oyster boat from plans - it was a great build (my build log is in the scratch build from plans forum). I am building other Chesapeake Bay working boats including the Skipjack, Menhaden Steamer, and Dovetails. You will find a welcoming place here with great build logs, experienced builders willing to share their knowledge, and some wry and dry humor. Wishing you fair winds and following seas!
 
Welcome aboard!

I lived in various parts of Baltimore till I ran off to work on the boats - Pigtown, Memorial Stadium, GynOak, Mt Vernon, South Baltimore, Fells Point, and literally in the Inner Harbor.
Now I'm down-da-road, in Severna Park, hon.

What part of town are you in?
 
Back
Top