Hello,
My name is Gilles. I live in Nova Scotia, Canada.
My interest in modeling goes back a long way with the construction of many small water crafts such as this:

canoes 001 copy a.jpg

In the late 90’s as the Internet was growing, I discovered and joined a couple of groups specializing in planked on frame model ship construction …. And I was hooked. Sometimes later, I began the construction of the Oliver Cromwell and Bonhomme Richard.

This is my version of the Oliver Cromwell as it stood when construction was stopped for other projects in 2003.

425 copy a.jpg

As you can see, Oliver Cromwell was well advanced when I got into participating in the English translation of the Gros Ventre monograph (early 2000`s) by Gérard Delacroix for Édition ANCRE in France. From there, Gérard, who was already running his great forum, and I created a new group dedicated to the construction of the model. This group was active for a few years with a good number of builders from around the world. We managed the Gros Ventre forum, website, a quarterly newsletter in several languages, etc…. all designed to form an international community of modelers who could, as a result, readily communicate and share there experiences building the same ship: it was a novel idea at the time. Meanwhile, I also wrote the English translation of Le Fleuron, again for ANCRE, another monograph as well as other works relating to modeling, carving… etc.

To make a long story short, eventually life got is the way …… or is it the other way around……. By 2008/9 everything came crushing down and all was lost: websites, ships, everything. Broken and ashamed, I basically went into hiding for years.

Now, I am just about to embark in a brand new, right side up (as was the first one), construction of the Oliver Cromwell. I have also started translation work again, so there will be at least one more English version of an ANCRE monograph in the future.

Thank you for your acceptance in this community.
G.

Last edited:
Welcome on board SOS, Gilles! Excellent build. Is there any reason for choosing white tonewood for frames and planks?

Thank you Jim.
The wood used in the attached image was maple. It was chosen for no particular reason except that at the time, I liked the look. One note I made then, was that maple is quite tricky to work with: a little too hard, especially when you mostly work with hand tool.
I will be starting building a new version over again in the very near future and this time, It will be built entirely with cherry. I like to have everything made from a single wood species. Cherry is what I have been using for most everything I have built in the past 15 years or so.
Kindest regards.
G

A warm welcome also from my side. Hope you will enjoy the membership here in our forum.
As I know most of the monographies published by ancre and also Gerard Delacroix (who is also member in SOS) , but unfortunately not speaking french, I want to say Thank you for the work of translating these wonderful publications into english. It is highly appreciated!
I am in close contact to Didier Berti from ancre and also Gerard, so I know how much work is necessary to release such complete and comprehensive publications.
Some weeks ago, I made a Planset Review of the monograpie of the Le Fleuron, the edition with your english translation.

https://shipsofscale.com/sosforums/...-delacroix-and-jean-boudriot.2885/#post-52202

My Planset Review of the Gros Ventre will also follow in short time

So I am looking forward to see your work (in modeling and further translations) - happy to have you on board.

Maybe once, if the time allows it, you can disclose the secret to us, on which monographie you are working in moment.....

BTW: very fine models you are showing us in the first post !!

Attachments

• LE_FLEURON_ANGLAIS bd (4).pdf
    794.8 KB · Views: 9
  • LE_GROS_VENTRE_ANGLAIS (1).pdf
    731.1 KB · Views: 2
well old friend welcome to SOS I knew Gills from way back on the now long gone dolphin Street ship yard site. I remember putting together a timbering set of milled wood for the Gros Ventre project.

you will like this site, about a year ago it was a small quiet site not much going on then the table turned in the ship modeling community and SOS grew at a fantastic international rate and is still growing. We now have some of the biggest names in ship modeling as members as well as different companies all members. some of the talent on this forum is amazing.

With the dedication and efforts put into this site I have no doubts it will grow to become an international recognized forum for model building.

so with that said welcome Gills

Thank you Jim.
The wood used in the attached image was maple. It was chosen for no particular reason except that at the time, I liked the look. One note I made then, was that maple is quite tricky to work with: a little too hard, especially when you mostly work with hand tool.
I will be starting building a new version over again in the very near future and this time, It will be built entirely with cherry. I like to have everything made from a single wood species. Cherry is what I have been using for most everything I have built in the past 15 years or so.
Kindest regards.
G

I agree with using just one wood for a model, I think it tends to show off the workmanship rather than seeing all these different colored pieces and parts.
That is what makes this site so great you get all kinds of different approaches to model building.
I have seen model with dark hulls and glaring white holly decks kind of made it look cartoonish your eye jumps from stark contrast of areas rather than focus on finer details

This group was active for a few years with a good number of builders from around the world. We managed the Gros Ventre forum, website, a quarterly newsletter in several languages, etc…. all designed to form an international community of modelers who could, as a result, readily communicate and share there experiences building the same ship: it was a novel idea at the time. Meanwhile,

in my opinion crimes against the ship modeling community is the loss of information by sites that go down, removal of entire build logs from forums, censorship of opinion and publications that get lost in cyber space.

if you have any back up material from your site, publications etc it would be a benefit to the community if they are archives for future builders. We have the people and technology to bring it all back to life on the Navy board model site which is basically our archive and library.

n my opinion crimes against the ship modeling community is the loss of information by sites that go down, removal of entire build logs from forums, censorship of opinion and publications that get lost in cyber space.

Dave ,the information cannot be lost anymore because Donnie doing back up regulary

Welcome Giles to SOS, yes we are growing fast, and more importantly a lot of logs, questions and answer, QUALITY NOT QUANITY makes this site uniqe in many ways, your expertise and shareing is fantastic. THANK YOU FOR JOINING US. Don

Back