New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

You can never have enough books, and this should be a great companion for your BN build! Enjoy, Peter.
You can never have enough books, and this should be a great companion for your BN build! Enjoy, Peter.
In the early development the material and lines for Pinkys gives more understanding to the Pinky that Ohla built and we can see. The amount and detail that Chapelle gathered is staggering. Rich

Just a moment ago delivered:
The American Fishing Schooners 1825-1935 by Howard I. Chapelle
View attachment 221448
To understand more about those ships, when I build on with the BN.
690 pages of info with nice drawings:
View attachment 221449
View attachment 221450
Regards, Peter
The pages toward the end of the historical development and scantlings related to Bluenose, her design and construction compared with other schooners are interesting with our own work now. The plethora of details is so large that I have a hard time keeping them in mind as related to any particular area of the fittings that I am working on now and the problems of too much soldering heat releasing other soldered parts on the same spar band. I may have to give that up and drill into the spar through a hole in the brass band and set the eyes with adhesive into the wood, faking the fitting itself. Happy reading.. Rich

A small update for the shipyard library.

View attachment 222708

Very nice books. They are actually more than just nice looking, these book are a great complement to a library to further one's own education regarding the French naval construction at the time. I had these books and many others in my library some 20 years ago, but lost them all (and I do mean all) at some point. I am now rebuilding that library and recently received the 50 & 64.

Enjoy and cherish them: even if the text is foreign to you.

G.

Yes, its very good, because you can compare the technical drawings between the epochs.
The language is a big problem for me to enter deeper in the naval construction. This challenge
i will loose. But maybe its not an error to learn the french language to move better between the pages.
And as well for life. I speak portuguese and some words are similar or equal. I think with every known word you are a winner.

Last edited:
For everybody interested in the content of these beautiful books take a look here:
and

There are a lot of stimulants for a new scratch building in this books. Look for the time after "Coureur"!
Hello Karl Ingwer,

You are absolutely right, the book is very inspiring. But after Le Coureur I think I still need more experience before I dare to embark on scratch building - but of course I can dream about it :)
Though, as much as I would like to build a Danish ship I did not find a ship in the book that would suit my dreams. Your Printz Friderich is a true piece of art but for me a ship with an armament of 70 canons or more will be too big. I would definitely want to scratch build in a big scale (preferably 1:24) and yet something with square-rigged masts from the 18th century. Something like for example Royal Caroline or L'Amarante

Speaking about books, this is from another Danish book written by the photographer Lars Gundersen:
1616583157099.png

Herzliche Grüße

Back