New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

When you Rigging a 17th century ship you need a good book.
Two I got today in the mailbox.
IMG_1673.JPGIMG_1674.JPG

The rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail topmast 1600-1720 is a must have for every shipbuilder.

William Rex is about Dutch ships in museums, and most information about the William Rex in the Dutch "Rijksmuseum" like history, build and rigging of this Dutch Two decker of the 17th century. The William Rex only existed as model build in the 17th century. And was displayed in the "Zeeuwse" admiralty in Middelburg
Here a few nice links of the museum
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/search?q=Ship models&v=&s=&ondisplay=False&ii=9&p=19 A lot of ships from the past

The William Rex: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?set=NG-MC-651#/NG-MC-651,0
The Prince Willem: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/rijksstudio/kunstwerken/scheepsmodellen/objecten#/NG-NM-11911,3

gheh gheh ROTFROTF British people don't click here: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/rijksstudio/kunstwerken/scheepsmodellen/objecten#/NG-MC-239,1 our general de Ruijter took this in the night of one of your ships.

Last edited:
When you Rigging a 17th century ship you need a good book.
Two I got today in the mailbox.
View attachment 236163View attachment 236164

The rigging of ships in the days of the spritsail topmast 1600-1720 is a must have for every shipbuilder.

William Rex is about Dutch ships in museums, and most information about the William Rex in the Dutch "Rijksmuseum" like history, build and rigging of this Dutch Two decker of the 17th century. The William Rex only existed as model build in the 17th century. And was displayed in the "Zeeuwse" admiralty in Middelburg
Here a few nice links of the museum
https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/en/search?q=Ship models&v=&s=&ondisplay=False&ii=9&p=19 A lot of ships from the past

The William Rex: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/zoeken/objecten?set=NG-MC-651#/NG-MC-651,0
The Prince William: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/rijksstudio/kunstwerken/scheepsmodellen/objecten#/NG-NM-11911,3

gheh gheh ROTFROTF British people don't click here: https://www.rijksmuseum.nl/nl/rijksstudio/kunstwerken/scheepsmodellen/objecten#/NG-MC-239,1 our general de Ruijter took this in the night of one of your ships.

A great way to start the weekend. My order from Ancre of the four volumes of the 74 Gun Ship set and 1/48 plans arrived from France. It only took 7 days from dispatch to arrival in Canada. The books went from Nice, via Paris, to Stansted UK, to Heathrow, to Toronto then to my East Coast location. I know most of you have seen these sets before but allow me my weekend of excitement :)

This is the first time I have ordered from Ancre. I have a huge respect for books so when I saw the box going to so many transit points I wondered what shape the books would be in on arrival. No problems at all, Ancre did an excellent job with the very solid packaging. The contents were double boxed with the book corners additionally protected with foam “buffers”. It was great to deal with such an efficient, caring publisher.

Now the learning process starts.
Oh yes, the photos:

3BD08A2C-A1A1-4B18-87E5-AE1B5A4A5C7F.jpeg21085B0E-0A20-4A3E-9CEC-2381619CCBA1.jpegD8E4F838-9417-4DF1-A3C4-DF1E959A296C.jpeg:

A great way to start the weekend. My order from Ancre of the four volumes of the 74 Gun Ship set and 1/48 plans arrived from France. It only took 7 days from dispatch to arrival in Canada. The books went from Nice, via Paris, to Stansted UK, to Heathrow, to Toronto then to my East Coast location. I know most of you have seen these sets before but allow me my weekend of excitement :)

This is the first time I have ordered from Ancre. I have a huge respect for books so when I saw the box going to so many transit points I wondered what shape the books would be in on arrival. No problems at all, Ancre did an excellent job with the very solid packaging. The contents were double boxed with the book corners additionally protected with foam “buffers”. It was great to deal with such an efficient, caring publisher.

Oh yes, the photos:

View attachment 238371View attachment 238372View attachment 238373:
From what I previously found, that is a very expensive investment but investment it is with the trove of information of all types. Congratulations upon such a significant addition to your shelves. Rich (PT-2)

Oh yes, the photos:

View attachment 238371View attachment 238372View attachment 238373:
True - it is an investement, but worth every cent - and I can see, that you ordered the complete set with the drawings for the frames and also the new set of drawings for the sails
Great
For everybody interested, please take a look at our Book Review here in SOS:

From what I previously found, that is a very expensive investment but investment it is with the trove of information of all types. Congratulations upon such a significant addition to your shelves. Rich (PT-2)
True - it is an investement, but worth every cent - and I can see, that you ordered the complete set with the drawings for the frames and also the new set of drawings for the sails
Great
For everybody interested, please take a look at our Book Review here in SOS:
Hello Uwek @Uwek and PT-2 @PT-2 I agree the books are a little costly but after reviewing them for a few days I have to say they are well worth the money.

The depth of research, knowledge and expertise contained in these books is second to none. I compared the price of the books to some of the professional books I, like so many others, have needed during my career. Whether for studies, general knowledge or exam preparations we need to remember that limited, specialized markets mean limited sales and therefore higher prices. These books and plans reflect a specialized market, whether it be modellers, researchers, historians, archaeologists or whatever. In my case it is a combination of everything, especially the early days of ship construction, ship handling, the conduct of seagoing manning, training, crewing, seamanship, discipline and command structure.

I absolutely recommend these books. I am fascinated with the historical content, especially when I compare it to my own decades of deep sea and nautical experience. Will I build a 74 gunner at 1/48? Maybe, but sometimes the research is just as absorbing.

The terms and descriptions of the old days of seafaring may have changed somewhat but the life of the seafarer is ageless.

Last edited:
...... Will I build a 74 gunner at 1/48? Maybe, but sometimes the research is just as absorbing.
In my opinion, this set of books is recommended to everybody who wants to build one french (or even british) ship in scratch build, but even for kits.
Here often you get the necessary information of a lot of details, like framing, beams with carlings, guns, pumps planking, nails and bolts etc.
Principles are well documented there.....
So not only for building a 74gunner, but also for frigates, sloops etc......

In my opinion, this set of books is recommended to everybody who wants to build one french (or even british) ship in scratch build, but even for kits.
Here often you get the necessary information of a lot of details, like framing, beams with carlings, guns, pumps planking, nails and bolts etc.
Principles are well documented there.....
So not only for building a 74gunner, but also for frigates, sloops etc......
I totally agree with you, well said. The books have already helped me with my Syren build.
Thanks for your great book reviews Uwek. Your write ups are the main reason I purchased from Ancre.

Back