New on your bookshelf ..... show it here

Just received 2 books I ordered regarding " French Warships in the Age of Sail" as reviewed on here by Uwek.

WOW! what a wealth of information in this. Its has every rank of ship, from 1st Rank right through the likes of corvettes and Barques, cargo ships to minor support vessels, as well as all their different versions within the time period as well as dimensions, crew and armament not to mention which battles they were in as well as the opposing fleet for that particular battle, and finally what fate happened to the ship.

All this in 2 books, it just blows wikipedia out of the water to coin a phrase.

Absolutely stunning and definitely recommended.20210625_104421.jpg20210626_112218.jpg

All the best
Robert ⚓

Last edited:
The Dutch two-decker from 1660-1670 (Der Hollandische - Zweidecker Von 1660-1670) by Heinrich Winter
Documentation of a real model of the 17th century, which was unfortunately lost during World War II.
But thanks to the author, we have these detailed drawings...

Rob T, as those two books are well priced I bought them....hoping to be impressed, with the possibility of getting the rest.
I must say how disappointed I was with the entries, being formulaic and repetitive; the illustrations aren't up to much either.
If I'd paid the publishers price I'd have felt seriously robbed.
I abandoned all ideas of getting the rest.
My opinion is; you'd have to be pretty anal on the subject to want and pay for them all.
Sorry, but that's just my take on this.

Rob T, as those two books are well priced I bought them....hoping to be impressed, with the possibility of getting the rest.
I must say how disappointed I was with the entries, being formulaic and repetitive; the illustrations aren't up to much either.
My opinion is; you'd have to be pretty anal on the subject to want and pay for them all.
Because of this we here in SOS are making reviews with detailed Look Inside, so everybody can make his own opinion BEFORE buying a book.

Because of this we here in SOS are making reviews with detailed Look Inside, so everybody can make his own opinion BEFORE buying a book.
While not exactly new, I thought that I would bring together my small collection of books on schooners and particularly the Bluenose racing schooner. I will try to post the book covers followed with the contents for each. These will accompany the attached pdf summary of each and how they relate; particularly what I see as an essential and linked threesome or tryptic of the more complete era of the fishing and racing schooners;
First the pdf text summary:The Global Schooner 1695 - 1845.jpg
Global Schooner Contents:Global Schooner Contents.jpg
Next is the American Fishing SchoonersThe American Fishing Schooners 1825 - 1935.jpg
with the Contents
TAMF Contents 1.jpg
Now A Race for Real Sailors
A Race for Real Sailors.jpg
Race for Real Sailors Contents.jpg
and the contents for ARFRs
Next is A Witch in the Wind
A Witch In The Wind.jpg
Contents
Witch in teh WInd Contents.jpg
Contents next pageWitch in the Wind Contents 2.jpg
Now the linked three essential books for a comprehensive presentation of the era and events
The Central Three Tryptich.jpg
Now, with the pdf text as a guideline the series of photos, if I got them in correct order will be better explained.
The last books, which have additional information are the small A Spirit Deep Within
A Spirit Deep Within W.J. Roue.jpg
And lastly for Bluenose II is commonly referred to as Saga
BN II Saga of the Great Fishing Schooners.jpg
Each one adds a different aspect to schooners and those of fishing and racing but the most essential are the three linked: A Witch in the Wind, The American Fishing Schooners, and A Race for Real Sailors. This trio best present the scene of that era if we are focusing upon Bluenose.
Rich (PT-2)

Attachments

• Schooner Reference Books Review.pdf
    114.2 KB · Views: 14
While not exactly new, I thought that I would bring together my small collection of books on schooners and particularly the Bluenose racing schooner. I will try to post the book covers followed with the contents for each. These will accompany the attached pdf summary of each and how they relate; particularly what I see as an essential and linked threesome or tryptic of the more complete era of the fishing and racing schooners;
First the pdf text summary:View attachment 241828
Global Schooner Contents:View attachment 241829
Next is the American Fishing SchoonersView attachment 241830
with the Contents
View attachment 241831
Now A Race for Real Sailors
View attachment 241832
View attachment 241833
and the contents for ARFRs
Next is A Witch in the Wind
View attachment 241834
Contents
View attachment 241835
Contents next pageView attachment 241836
Now the linked three essential books for a comprehensive presentation of the era and events
View attachment 241837
Now, with the pdf text as a guideline the series of photos, if I got them in correct order will be better explained.
The last books, which have additional information are the small A Spirit Deep Within
View attachment 241839
And lastly for Bluenose II is commonly referred to as Saga
View attachment 241840

Each one adds a different aspect to schooners and those of fishing and racing but the most essential are the three linked: A Witch in the Wind, The American Fishing Schooners, and A Race for Real Sailors. This trio best present the scene of that era if we are focusing upon Bluenose.
Rich (PT-2)
My posting error by showing the cover for Race for Real Sailors twice but the cover for Witch in the Wind is the center one in the photo of the closely linked three. Rich

First and foremost I really like the wealth of information in these.
Secondly I knew what I was buying due to a book Preview of pages online and Uwek's book review, in no way was I expecting more pics and diagrams than info, as obviously little of them survived especially when you take into account the 2 books are spread over 235 years, and the last active year being 160 years ago.
I have always had a thirst for knowledge, I've found too many books would rather show too many pictures/page fillers, rather than in depth knowledge they just scratch the surface in a lot of circumstances but that's my option.
Like you though, I have no intentions of buying the full series albeit I would like the British ones, but as you say most are being sold for astronomical prices which I have no intention of paying. For my part I paid £60 for the 2 books so at £30 each I am really happy.

You bought some really good books!

For everbody interested in the content, please take a look at:

And you have done some great reviews, without which I wouldn't have been able to aquire these.

Last edited:

There is maybe another 3 or 4 books you have reviewed that I cannot aquire, be it down to price or nothing on sale.
I'll just need to be sit patient and hopefully something will turn up.

I was looking for u derailleur ship model volume 2 as digitale version. 1 I got. Not 2. I read 1, what a great old book.

This is probably the most referred to book in my schooner collection as I was looking closely at the fittings shown in the last half to better understand their part in my schooner build of Bluenose. It was probably my best purchase for actual building as the other Bluenose books are more about the use of the BN. Well recommended for those who may want to scratch build a schooner within the time span. Rich (PT-2)

Back