Practicum New Practicum Coming for 3D printing and CNC milling files

I am posting this on behalf of Bob Hunt of Lauck Street Shipyard.

Many ship modellers wonder how to create the files for 3D printing and CNC mill production. I have decided to put what I have learned into a new practicum. I have many years of experience creating the necessary files for 3D printing and CNC milling. I expect I will have it ready by the end of January. This practicum will provide steps for beginners to create those files to print on a 3D printer or CNC mill. There will be embedded videos of what I’m doing on my computer called screen captures and I will narrate them as I record them. Customers will not only be able to read the practicum and learn how to create 3D models but also watch me creating models on my computer while narrating exactly what I’m doing and how to do it using Fusion 360. This practicum should help everyone learn how to print in 3D.

Will definitely be watching I currently use sketchup and Tinker I do have Fusion 360 but the learning curve is above my head. I do design basic stuff with sketchup for my 3D printer and have made some cool stuff, but fusion appears to be a much more powerful program and I'd like to use it to create frame files and such for POF ship builds. I took the time to learn the lofting process pretty simple once you figure it out. I also have a CNC router and 50W laser cutter/engraver. Thise would be great if I could make advanced drawings for them.

I am posting this on behalf of Bob Hunt of Lauck Street Shipyard.

Many ship modellers wonder how to create the files for 3D printing and CNC mill production. I have decided to put what I have learned into a new practicum. I have many years of experience creating the necessary files for 3D printing and CNC milling. I expect I will have it ready by the end of January. This practicum will provide steps for beginners to create those files to print on a 3D printer or CNC mill. There will be embedded videos of what I’m doing on my computer called screen captures and I will narrate them as I record them. Customers will not only be able to read the practicum and learn how to create 3D models but also watch me creating models on my computer while narrating exactly what I’m doing and how to do it using Fusion 360. This practicum should help everyone learn how to print in 3D.
Very nice. This is an area that has always interested me, but never quite understood the depth of the learning curve. My questions, to myself, have always been, "what is the learning investment from a time perspective?" and "will the benefit be worth it?". I've always put it off, rationalizing that the greatest benefit would be to modelers who scratch build. But if I had some of these skills I think I would be more enthusiastic to start scratch building. Haha, the chicken and the egg conundrum.

I am really looking forward to this info. Thanks.

Hi, this is Bob Hunt. The practicum Jim talked about was finished quite a while ago but I thought I'd give you some additional details about it. It's called "Using 3D Technology for Model Shipbuilding." It covers 3D printing (both FDM filament printing as well as resin printing), CNC Milling, and how to draw 3D objects using the free software for hobbyists, Fusion 360. It also covers Fusion 360's CAM software that is used to generate G-code used by CNC mills. For resin printing, it covers the free software, Chitubox used to generate the layer code for resin printers and for FDM printers, it covers the Prusa Slicer which is also a free software application.

This is an extremely detailed practicum that assumes you know little or nothing about how to use these technologies so it guides you through every step of the various processes using real world examples of objects I used myself on my build of the Chinese kit, Royal Caroline. If you want to learn how to use a 3D printer, resin printer or a CNC mill, this practicum will teach you step by step, and each of the machines used to demonstrate these technologies costs around $200.00 to $300.00 so they won't break the bank.

Please visit my website at https://www.lauckstreetshipyard.com/product-page/using-3d-technology-for-model-shipbuilding for more info.

Thanks,

Bob Hunt

This is excellent Bob. Thank you for posting this and your work involved. This must be very time consuming, and I am sure that all of us would benefit from the practicum(s).

Back