New to SoS!

The most important plank that most people lay down first is called the Garboard plank as it goes along side the keel on each side.
I have planked both ways. Starting at keel and working my way up to the Wales and then the other way from Wales to the garboard plank. I don’t think it really matters as long as you taper the ends at the bow. The stern might need extra small strips called stealers as usually the stern fans out wider.
Thanks!!!

This is an example (perhaps poor) of how stealers are used for both the bow and stern. Not all hulls are the same and will always produce a different result. Since this ship was DOUBLE planked, there was no need for accuracy on the first layer.

planking87.jpgplanking133.jpg

I’m beginning to respect abundantly the builds I’ve seen on SOS-the fairing/planking in particular. I’m using a white glue and not a CA, thank God, as I’ve had to pull up several planks for one reason or another. But mostly due to incorrect fairing... I’m hoping the learning curve is the steepest here!
-Am I in the minority in these 2 tasks or do most of you have these issues in the beginning?
you are certainly not in a minority in any of these tasks, take your time and enjoy and because it is wood you can always add fix mistakes one way or another, and when you come to rigging you like many of us will find the floor monster eats many small parts never to be seen again!! have fun.

This is an example (perhaps poor) of how stealers are used for both the bow and stern. Not all hulls are the same and will always produce a different result. Since this ship was DOUBLE planked, there was no need for accuracy on the first layer.

View attachment 167336View attachment 167337
Thanks, Don, for reminding me-this is a double planked hull! And for these pictures-you folks are a huge assistance to new builders like myself. It’s probably better that I start posting in the forum that pertains to building as my questions are certain to be numerous...

you are certainly not in a minority in any of these tasks, take your time and enjoy and because it is wood you can always add fix mistakes one way or another, and when you come to rigging you like many of us will find the floor monster eats many small parts never to be seen again!! have fun.
Thank you for mentioning that after all, this IS a hobby! All too often I forget it’s the journey and not always the destination that’s important. That “floor monster” comment is spot-on!!!

Good evening!
After an acquaintance recommended that I should join this group to more understand model ship assembly, I started perusing these forums. And soon thought that even though I have little to offer in return as I’m new to ship building outside of expressing gratitude, l decided to join. A brief history is due: veteran (USAF) 72-76. Hobbies include; Model builder (mostly plastic) since a teenager, S/W radio listener, auto enthusiast, and now wooden ships. My first project, the Ketch Mary Byrne, is challenging me due to lacking many of the necessary skill sets. I’m looking forward to interacting, learning, and building!
Hallo @HickoryCraig
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
:cool:

Back