New to this hobby

Hi

I have bought my first wooden model ship to build and have a quick question. I am building the Occre Polaris and wondering if white wood glue is okay for deck planking. Instructions say contact glue but would prefer to use something that would allow time for small adjustments . Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.

Hi

I have bought my first wooden model ship to build and have a quick question. I am building the Occre Polaris and wondering if white wood glue is okay for deck planking. Instructions say contact glue but would prefer to use something that would allow time for small adjustments . Any advice would be great, thanks in advance.
I preffer white wood glue.
Here, you can follow posts for help, for example: mapoo

Cheers

Welcome to the forums and this wonderful hobby Marty !
I use a combination of glues depending on what I'm doing.
For deck planking I use the slightly yellow wood glue.
I don't see why white glue wouldn't work except that it won't stand up to prolonged exposure to water (incase you are actually considering placing it in water).

Jeff

Thanks Jeff, not planning to put this boat in water thanks. Given this is my first model I would very much doubt it’s sea worthiness. I will take your thoughts in to account though. Thanks again and much appreciated.

Hello Marty, welcome to our forum. It would be nice if you would create a construction report. I think that would be very interesting for all of us.

Thanks for the advice about the construction report. I have a small start with this and will continue over the coming weeks.

White or yellow PVA glue allows some time to adjustments and is easy to wipe away any excess that might squeeze out between planks.

I have rarely used contact glue in model ship building, but I am only a beginner myself in reference to the many well experienced builders on this forum.

Back