Newbie looking for help

I joined SOS this month after dicovering what a great site you have.
my problem is lack of knowledge. I want to eventually make plans of ships using fusion360 which i already use for woodwork plans and 3D printing. I am trying to learn as much as possible about wooden ship constuction. I am looking for information on reading 1800 century draughts as seen in most pulications, but im finding this vary scarce. The book "Building the Wooden Fighting Ship" by J Dodds & J Moore has a picture of a labelled draught from Steel's Naval architecture 1805 that identifies just about every line. however , the print is so small i cannot read it. Does anyone know of a source of what seems like a secret knowledge.

regards Phill

Hallo Phill and a warm welcome here on board of our forum.
I hope, that some of our members can also help you in your research.

Very helpful to understand could be this book:

Deane's doctrine of naval architecture, 1670​

edited and introduced by Brian Lavery

Hi Phill

You can find what you need in ANCRE's books.

I advise this book series. It has 4 volumes with detailed drawings for a 74 gun ship.

You can find additional information here :

333.jpg

Thanks for the replys with the sugested info I shall look into them both. The one thing I have found out in the short time I have been researching this subject. Because this is such a specialized subject, A mortgage is required for the research material. I am in the process of building a book collection see below

Building the Wooden Fighting Ship.
The Anatomy of Nelson's Ships.
The first Frigates.
The Sailing Navy List.
The 50 Gun Ship.

apart from the ones you have already suggested. Could you recommend something that can relate each line on a ships draught with the actual wooden component
many thanks for your help.
regards Phill

Thanks for the replys with the sugested info I shall look into them both. The one thing I have found out in the short time I have been researching this subject. Because this is such a specialized subject, A mortgage is required for the research material. I am in the process of building a book collection see below

The first Frigates.
The Sailing Navy List.
The 50 Gun Ship.

apart from the ones you have already suggested. Could you recommend something that can relate each line on a ships draught with the actual wooden component
regards Phill
You are fortunate to have chosen a a late period ship with lots of information still available to use for your model. Older vessels have very scant information, occasionally nothing, to provide guidance. Worse yet, many sources that do exist from the 16th and 17th centuries often contradict each other.

All of the books you list there are available second hand at abebooks.com. I buy tons of books there. They are all in the US$10-25 range except the Navy list, which is more than the others combined at $115. Edit: Oh and you are in the UK. For some reason, many of the books I buy, on all topics or even novels, come from the UK. Postage for international post is very small there. Way, way less than from the US and Canada.

The first Frigates.
The Sailing Navy List.
The 50 Gun Ship.

regards Phill

Last edited:
Funny you should say that Tangopapa. I have just purchased Deane's doctrine of naval architecture from Abebooks.com .
I was lucky just before christmas buying the Navy sailing list for £20 private. On my steep learning curve im looking for the info contained in the picture. Its one of steel's draughts. This is the only picture i can find of them.30241618797.jpg

my problem is lack of knowledge. I want to eventually make plans of ships using fusion360 which i already use for woodwork plans and 3D printing. I am trying to learn as much as possible about wooden ship constuction. I am looking for information on reading 1800 century draughts as seen in most pulications, but im finding this vary scarce. The book "Building the Wooden Fighting Ship" by J Dodds & J Moore has a picture of a labelled draught from Steel's Naval architecture 1805 that identifies just about every line. however , the print is so small i cannot read it. Does anyone know of a source of what seems like a secret knowledge.

regards Phill
Hallo Phill alias @tannerman
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

you can go here and under public domain you will find books you can download

another great source of information is this article, i will see if i can find a copy and post it

David White's "Understanding Ships Drafts' from Model ShipWright Magazine

Last edited:
@Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)
Maybe Dave might help some - I know he does a lot of CAD. Of course there might be others here that I am not aware of. I tried my hand at drawing 3D ship frames and what all and found that I just could not master it. Most likely, it was the software I was using which was TurboCAD platinum. I think most people are using AutoCAD, but there are others here that have more insight than I do. Funny that I actually have a degree in Drafting and Design, but Nautical design is a whole different ball game of which I can't do (maybe if I got the right program and with the right tutoring, but time is such a factor on me now).

Thanks for the info. I have read quite a lot of his posts and found them very informative. It has been a long time since i used TurboCAD. The box i can see on the shelf is v9 so would not expect it working on win10.

regards Phill
Hallo Phill alias @tannerman
we wish you all the BEST and a Happy BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back