Norske Love 1/75 Scale (Billing Boats)

Hello at all,

I think it`s unsual to write a review about a kit nearly two years after opening the box - I try my very best!

norske_love_01.jpeg
Photo by manufacturer

Manufacturer: Billing Boats, Scale 1/75
Type of ship: 3 masted warship, launched in 1765, deleted from the naval register in 1798
Measurements: Length 48.93 m, breadth 9.70 m, draught 5.07 m, displacement 1,076 tons, with a crew of 402
Price: around 325 Euros

The kit has the number BB0437 and contains laser cut frames, different types of wood - obechi, mahogany, pine, balsa and plywood. Also included is sailcloth, copperthread and brasswire. The canons and the belaying pins are made of brass. The ornaments, the gallion and the hatches for the canons are plastic. Billing boats offers only a single layer of planking for the hull. According to Billing Boats, the Norske Love should have the so called Nelson look, the hull very dark brown colour with light yellow battery lines. The decks should have light tar colour, the gun-carriages should be painted red. The masts are included in different diameters, as well as the yards, which are partially sanded.

norske_love_02.jpg
Photo by modelshipworld.com

Included is a very good manual in different languages and several plans for sailcloth, rigging, position of frames and gun-ports in correct scale.
IMG_2151.JPG
Photo by manufacturer

Another source for the ships original drawings are the Danish Naval Archives.

A few facts - there are two kits from billing boats, at first the kit based on the plans of 1765 (my first scratch-build - I only had the frames)
IMG_2167.JPGIMG_2168.JPG

here the actual kit, which seems to show the ship with proper hull lines.

nl14.JPG

The deck is completely different, as well as the rigging.

Conclusion:
she is a beauty, but don´t get me wrong. There are some things, Billing Boats should have done better! Why only a single layer of planking, why are there no steps on the outside and why is there no dinghy? It was a coast guard ship! The hatches for the gunports are ironically the same as the hatches in the Wasa-kit from Billing Boats. You will find a lot of details to be improved, but such a kit should be payable and on the other hand there should be room for a modeler to show his skills.

By the way I have seen so many different colourings about this ship...

Greetings
Michael

Hi Michael. Many thanks for making a nice kit review. There only one answer for all of your 'Whys' questions - it is cost. For kit manufactures this is only a business! As with any business, the main driving point is how much profit they can get will less manufacturing cost. They didn't research much (who wants to pay for the research???), they use cheaper wood, plastic castings...you name it. As a result, the kist cost less...and trust me, it will find it's own buyer.

Hello Jim,

I agree with you. That's why I decided to change some things. On the one hand, the double planking, then the ship gets a dinghy, a stair outside and finally fender.

Greetings
Michael

Hello at all,

I think it`s unsual to write a review about a kit nearly two years after opening the box - I try my very best!

View attachment 98219
Photo by manufacturer

Type of ship: 3 masted warship, launched in 1765, deleted from the naval register in 1798
Measurements: Length 48.93 m, breadth 9.70 m, draught 5.07 m, displacement 1,076 tons, with a crew of 402

The kit has the number BB0437 and contains laser cut frames, different types of wood - obechi, mahogany, pine, balsa and plywood. Also included is sailcloth, copperthread and brasswire. The canons and the belaying pins are made of brass. The ornaments, the gallion and the hatches for the canons are plastic. Billing boats offers only a single layer of planking for the hull. According to Billing Boats, the Norske Love should have the so called Nelson look, the hull very dark brown colour with light yellow battery lines. The decks should have light tar colour, the gun-carriages should be painted red. The masts are included in different diameters, as well as the yards, which are partially sanded.

View attachment 98224

Included is a very good manual in different languages and several plans for sailcloth, rigging, position of frames and gun-ports in correct scale.
View attachment 98221
Photo by manufacturer

A few facts - there are two kits from billing boats, at first the kit based on the plans of 1765 (my first scratch-build - I only had the frames)
View attachment 98222View attachment 98223

View attachment 98225

Conclusion:
she is a beauty, but don´t get me wrong. There are some things, Billing Boats should have done better! Why only a single layer of planking, why are there no steps on the outside and why is there no dinghy? It was a coast guard ship! The hatches for the gunports are ironically the same as the hatches in the Wasa-kit from Billing Boats. You will find a lot of details to be improved, but such a kit should be payable and on the other hand there should be room for a modeler to show his skills.

Greetings
Michael
Hallo Michael alias @Mickey-63
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Enjoy your day
Birthday-Cake

Hello at all,

View attachment 98219
Photo by manufacturer

View attachment 98224

View attachment 98221
Photo by manufacturer

View attachment 98222View attachment 98223

View attachment 98225

Conclusion:

Greetings
Michael
Sorry for first having seen you'd Build and comments. I have built 3 X this ship. The 1Th before Laser-cut, then 1982 1986.. I do not agree with your comment about the Manual. To my it is BAD. I knew Billing Boat and its owner Erling Billing -who passed away to early. I was at that time in a Neighbour Town, I did the 1Th and the rest without a 2ND layer. yje1Th with some problems, but no more. You are right, there are many differences from other big warships on one side. the other side Billing wanted and still do to make the kit as cheap as possible, so some part is used here which goes into another build. The last Gunport, to be glued outside the hull, Gun carriage etc I changed into Wooden, The last build I made I probably only used about 70&. The Gallery figures. I remade completely the Galleries
I am today living in Span (45Years now) but have tried to make- contact with the owners in Viborg, but NO interest to talk with a builder with 50 on its back. During my time in Denmark, I build about 10 models from Fisherboats, trawlers, Lila Dan Cosatboat Bent. all having the same defect. to the cheap and wrong material, lousy manuals, yo have a low price. When I came to Spain I changed mainly to OCCRE-100-150 € more expensive, but worse money. in this very moment, at least 3 builders are building the Montanes. Special Wirek Poland.. Here you on this side you have a German colleague building the Sistership to Norske Love: Prinz Frederich. the picture are taken just after arriving in Spain in 1978 with a lot of mistakes. at that time no computer etc. on top is the Victoria TOTALLY cut each part out by hand. Before Laser Cut

Attachments

• Imagen.jpg
    Imagen.jpg
    498.3 KB · Views: 30
Back