Notching carlings for ledges

I'm starting to install the lower deck on the Discovery1789. There is no way that I am a good enough craftsman to cut the notches for the ledges before I install them and expect them to line up. So I have to notch them in situ. Not to hard except for the bow and stern where there is no room to use a file. I'm also not very good with a Dremel. Any other suggestions?

I've just tried this and it works pretty well but I'm still open to suggestions Thanks

I've just tried this and it works pretty well but I'm still open to suggestions Thanks
You could try dental bone files and Micro-Mark sells micro rifflers too.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20210809-195721_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-195721_Chrome.jpg
    71.5 KB · Views: 24
  • Screenshot_20210809-193151_Chrome.jpg
    Screenshot_20210809-193151_Chrome.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 24
Not to be too picky, but I think their name is spelled ‘carlin’.

Not to be too picky, but I think their name is spelled ‘carlin’.

Carling (sailing)​

In bargebuilding, carlings are transverse timbers that run parallel to the beams to support the deck, half timbers placed on every second frame at the inner wale and the coamings of the hatch. They are supported on carling knees.[1]
In shipbuilding, carlings are two pieces of timber laid fore and aft under the deck of a ship, from one beam to another, directly over the keel. They serve as a foundation for the whole body of the ship; on these the ledges rest, whereon the planks of the deck, and other structures are fastened. The ends of the carlings are let culvertail into the beams.
The great carlings are those on which the mainmast stands. There are also carlings of the capstan, among others.
Carling knees are timbers going traversely, from the sides to the hatchway, serving to sustain the deck on both sides.

Carling (sailing)​

In bargebuilding, carlings are transverse timbers that run parallel to the beams to support the deck, half timbers placed on every second frame at the inner wale and the coamings of the hatch. They are supported on carling knees.[1]
In shipbuilding, carlings are two pieces of timber laid fore and aft under the deck of a ship, from one beam to another, directly over the keel. They serve as a foundation for the whole body of the ship; on these the ledges rest, whereon the planks of the deck, and other structures are fastened. The ends of the carlings are let culvertail into the beams.
The great carlings are those on which the mainmast stands. There are also carlings of the capstan, among others.
Carling knees are timbers going traversely, from the sides to the hatchway, serving to sustain the deck on both sides.
Reference document:
Modern Shipbuilding Terms by F. Forest, J. B. Pease. Lippincott Company
"...Where American terms are known by the author to be different from the British goth are given...."

"Carling beams.
Also Carlines...sometimes called half beams or short beams...."

Not sure what you are trying to do, would these help?
Fit Swann-Morton handles, I get mine from Squires Tools UK, very good.

Attachments

• Screenshot 2021-08-14 225854.png
    Screenshot 2021-08-14 225854.png
    120.7 KB · Views: 13
The ones that are giving me the most trouble are the ledging notches in the lodging knees. I've tried notching the knees before I glue them in but they are rarely in the right spot so i have to adjust them. It's better to try and do them in place but that has it's problems.

I'm starting to install the lower deck on the Discovery1789. There is no way that I am a good enough craftsman to cut the notches for the ledges before I install them and expect them to line up. So I have to notch them in situ. Not to hard except for the bow and stern where there is no room to use a file. I'm also not very good with a Dremel. Any other suggestions?
Hello Don,
Princess Auto sells rifflers. Very inexpensive. There are stores across Canada.

Back