Nuestra Senora del Pilar by Occre - Build log

Hi Phil. There is no need to apologize for posting pictures of seemingly small steps and little progress. Any experienced modeler knows that these finicky and small parts are the ones that take ages to construct, but they are just as much an integral part of any build as hull planking, painting, installing cannons or rigging. All is looking good!

Your gratings are looking very good !!! accurate and correct - Bravo

I wish I could get things like Casey's Black or Jax in China. I have not had much luck with the stuff that is available here.

Build Log: Nuestra Senora del Pilar (OcCre) 1:46

Continuing with the small things. I am fabricating brass eyes and rings for one of the covers. In doing so, I decided to use wire I purchased instead of the smaller, thinner brass parts supplied with the kit. And along those lines, I decided to blacken them instead of leaving the shiny and brassy looking. I use a looping piers (1.5mm) to make the eyelets. And a jewelry making pliers to make the rings. After making the rings, they get trimmed and then silver soldered. I use a low temp silver solder so that I can utilize my trusty old adjustable Weller soldering iron. A dedicated silver flux is needed. This stuff is mostly acid so care must be taken. Works very well.

To blacken the brass, I use Casey Brass Black. It works fast and very well. I blot the chemical off the brass, wash the part in a glass of water then buff it lightly with a soft cotton cloth. It brings up a shiny, black patina that looks good (to me). The eyelets are inserted into the wooden cover and glued from the backside. Then the protruding tail is trimmed flush. Once I get all the eyes and rings installed, I will touch up the topside of the cover with some light sanding before applying a finish.

Let me know if you have any comments, suggestions or ideas. Best Regards from Idaho!View attachment 328399View attachment 328400View attachment 328401View attachment 328402View attachment 328403View attachment 328404View attachment 328405View attachment 328406View attachment 328407View attachment 328408View attachment 328409View attachment 328410
Good morning Phil. Your gratings are brilliant. The flat red paint colour contrast with the framing is going to be a constant feature on your ship. Spot on. Cheers Grant

My apologies for just now responding to your thread.

OcCre is a very good kit (in my opinion). I found that the mast and yard rigging (blocks placement) was very well laid out and easy to follow. I think you are doing very well with this construction. Just please confirm before you go any further that your hull frame is nice and straight and as square as you can. You also might can flip your hull upside down on your bench as you can also see if the tips of the bulkheads are at equal distance to the bench (if this makes sense).
The reason is that errors have this uncanny way of "accumulating" as the build progresses like the planking. And speaking of planking the hull. Please do each side ALTERNATING. I am sure you know this.
Sometimes builders will plank up the entire ONE SIDE of the hull and the planks seems to PULL the hull off to one side. That is unless you have a JIG that you can put your hull in upside down while you plank.
I wanted to buy this kit a long time ago. However, at the time that I wanted it (strangely) that OcCre had this "Club Members Only" that this kit was offered to. I am not sure if they still have this "Club only thing" going, but that really put a dent in me buying it. Now, I see that the kit is for sale for everyone. You really picked out a good one and this will turn out to be a showcase for sure.

Donald
I have been an Occre fan for the last 3 years. I have only built one boat - the Ulisses Tug, but many others trams and locomotives. I have always found their materials and instructions first class. If you have parts missing, broken or lost, they will replace these without question. And they now have a large selection to choose from...no more "club members" requirements. There is also a Facebook page - Occremania - where people working on their kits echange technical advice, best practices, etc..

Back