OcCre and single planking

Donnie

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Forum Moderator

The other day, I went online at OcCre to take a look around - and yea - I know I told myself - no more OcCre for me for a while. Well, I was eyeballing that Neuestra Senora Pilar and I see that it is double planked - a big YUK for for me. I also looked around at their latest product N.S. Mercedes and again - if I remember it is double planked. Once I plank one time, I just get burned out. So, it seems that OcCre is moving to Double Planking !

I have the Mayflower and the Marina Trawler that I have lost my interest in and wish to get rid of these. They just don't have the appeal to me - so whoever is interested in picking up from where I left off, please let me know so that I can work out something with you.

I thought about the Agamemnon as the next, but I see or think that it is double planked as well. So, I am at a loss as to what to start next. I even thought about the Amerigo Vespucci. I found out that the planking on this is a other form of balsa.

Oh well. My thoughts on the matter are quite blank.

Donnie

Donnie, the double planking is actually a lot better than single planked in a lot of ways. When you do the first planking you just put it on very simply and do not worry how it looks. It goes on very fast that way as you just let the planks fall naturally in place. You sand and fill the minor problems to get a somewhat smooth surface without it being too fussy. The second planking then goes really fast and it is usually done with only 0.5 mm walnut planks. Because of the first planking, the second planking makes a very nice smooth surface and comes out really great. I would not build a model with only single planking unless it was over a smoothed solid hull.
The balsa they use is a little harder than what you find in stores and I used it on my Cutty Sark. It works OK but you can replace it with lime wood like was used in the old kits. I have an older version of the Amerigo Vespucci and the kit is a tremendous model that I will hope to live long enough to do. There are 11 life boats of various shapes that are plank on bulkhead kits in themselves. Like someone told me when they saw my kit, "Now that is what a good model kit should look like."

Back