OCCRE BEAGLE BUILD LOG

Well, Haven't had time to do any building as of late, have a sick Wife to take care of. Finally got some time and put my Occre Bounty Sloop aside and started on the Occre Beagle. Have always loved this ship and it's history and, as a bonus, there are some great build log videos online so hopefully I can manage this build. Most of it is not a problem, just the hull planking. I'll do my best though. Now, on to the false keel and bulkheads,

20230427_203143.jpg

Well, me being me, I like to combine hobbies so I designed and printed an "Alignment tool" to make sure the bulkheads were correct. Once glued together the bulkheads visually and by rule lined up, as far as I can tell so far, perfectly. The I added the stiffeners. The instructions and pictures are a bit nebulous on these, but it looks close. Now I am printing a custom jig to keep the keel straight before I glue the deck in and start planking. But, first, I need to plank the deck. Will start on that soon.......

20230429_171322.jpg

20230429_171410.jpg

20230429_200951.jpg

So I looked up the best way to cut planks for the deck and saw a bunch of balsa wood choppers ranging in price from $40 to $110 dollars. Nope. Couple hours on Fusion 360, 20 hours print time and about ~$5 in filament and I have a table. Took less than 30 minutes to cut 120 pplanks all exactly the same size.

20230430_211229.jpg

Kedennis,

You're not alone in worrying about planking ........ I have a Panart Armed Sloop that I've been planking over the past 5 years .... probably 2 planks per week!!
I do like your "chopper" .. any chance of a link to your .stl files?

I'm finishing up Old Ironsides 1/100 plastic. Every time I work on it I see my beagle kit sitting on the shelf just calling my name. You have some reallt great ideas. WTG

While I work on the deck I tried to come up with a way to keep the keel straight until I get a few planks on. I wanted to be able to hang it in my vise and still be portable. I came up with this.The keel was a bit warped and after a couple days wearing this it's straight now. Now, on to finish planking the deck.

Edit: the first one I printed was too deep and got stuck. Lol. And I couldn't put it in a vise.

20230506_203203.jpg

20230506_203128.jpg

20230506_203044.jpg

I like the 3D keel clamp, a nice way to hold the keel with vise and not damage the wood beneath.

Please let us know when you post the files, I have a new 3D printer on order and need some good test objects to learn with.

Maybe the Admins can set up a central files location for such tool related files deposits.

Here are the stl files for my "CHOPPER TABLE" if anyone wants it. I designed this with 4-40 cap head bolts and it requires a standard razor blade. It will print fine on a 230 X 230 print bed. The second set of towers the arm goes thru are for a better alignment and it has a hole thru so you can stick something thru it and lock the arm in place for safety.

Also, I printed everything at .20 layer height except the arm. I printed it at .12 layer height because it has a very small outline that the razor blade locks into and .20 probably will not print it very well.

Attachments

• 30-60-TRIANGLE.stl
    6.7 KB · Views: 17
  • 45-TRIANGLE.stl
    3.6 KB · Views: 6
  • ARM.stl
    34.8 KB · Views: 5
  • BLADE-CAP.stl
    19.8 KB · Views: 6
  • STRAIGHT-EDGE.stl
    11.2 KB · Views: 3
  • TABLE.stl
    67.1 KB · Views: 5
Last edited:
Here are the stl files for my "CHOPPER TABLE" if anyone wants it. I designed this with 4-40 cap head bolts and it requires a standard razor blade. It will print fine on a 230 X 230 print bed. The second set of towers the arm goes thru are for a better alignment and it has a hole thru so you can stick something thru it and lock the arm in place for safety.

Also, I printed everything at .20 layer height except the arm. I printed it at .12 layer height because it has a very small outline that the razor blade locks into and .20 probably will not print it very well.
Kedennis,

Thanks very much for this ... appreciated.

Stumpy

Last edited:
Back