OCCRE BEAGLE BUILD LOG

Got the upper decks planked and glued and the little doors and windows glued in. Doors are all brass with detail inlay so I painted the inlay with brown paint and scraped off the excess over brush with a flat blade. I'm not trying to be perfect or even close in the details. I look at this as a ship with some wear and tear and try to add that look for personality. I've been criticized for a few things, but this is my first real build and I am learning the ins and outs of model ship building and am very happy with my build so far. Now, off to sand the contour for the bulwarks install..

20230513_010659.jpg

20230513_010758.jpg

To anyone that has downloaded and printed my balsa chopper. Please post pics and let me know how printing went. All printer, no matter how well set up, can possibly print differently. You are all now my test subjects. Muhahahaha...

Here are the stl files for my "CHOPPER TABLE" if anyone wants it. I designed this with 4-40 cap head bolts and it requires a standard razor blade. It will print fine on a 230 X 230 print bed. The second set of towers the arm goes thru are for a better alignment and it has a hole thru so you can stick something thru it and lock the arm in place for safety.

Also, I printed everything at .20 layer height except the arm. I printed it at .12 layer height because it has a very small outline that the razor blade locks into and .20 probably will not print it very well.
To anyone that has downloaded and printed my balsa chopper. Please post pics and let me know how printing went. All printer, no matter how well set up, can possibly print differently. You are all now my test subjects. Muhahahaha...

Got the inner bulwarks lined and the canon ports all cut out. Now I need to sand the skeleton to shape to start the first planking.

View attachment 374698

View attachment 374699
Good morning. For your first ship this is going really well. I like the effect of your deck. I have decided to buy a 3D printer and I will have a look at your STL files when it arrives. Enjoy . Cheers Grant

Well, been a few days since I've been able to work on the Beagle. Taking care of a sick wife. The next step is shaping the skeleton to accept the planking. Instructions say to lay the ship on a flat surface and sand. I see broken bulwarks, so I broke out my CAD program and 3D printer and designed and printed a stand complete with posts that fit into the mast holes just to hold it from moving around. Added some felt to protect the deck and I now should have a stable platform to plank the entire hull. First step, plank the bulwarks...

20230518_195010.jpg

20230518_195140.jpg

20230518_195213.jpg

If anyone is starting to build the OCCRE Beagle and would like the planking base I made, here it is. I does require a larger printer. If you only have a small printer you can split and print it in two pieces and glue them together. Enjoy

Attachments

• BEAGLE - PLANKING - SANDING - BASE.stl
    61.8 KB · Views: 18
Good morning. For your first ship this is going really well. I like the effect of your deck. I have decided to buy a 3D printer and I will have a look at your STL files when it arrives. Enjoy . Cheers Grant
Actually 2nd and a half ship. I built a bounty boat some 12 years ago that got broke. Then I started to build another bounty boat but I like this one much better. She was calling to me. thanks for the encouragement.

Got the initial planking of the bulwarks done. Canon ports, railing and details rough cut. Will finish sanding and filing once the entire ship is planked. Very happy so far. Now the hard part begins. Gonna take some time and internet knowledge from YouTube university to plank the rest of the hull to reasonable finish.

20230525_012202.jpg

Well, Haven't had time to do any building as of late, have a sick Wife to take care of. Finally got some time and put my Occre Bounty Sloop aside and started on the Occre Beagle. Have always loved this ship and it's history and, as a bonus, there are some great build log videos online so hopefully I can manage this build. Most of it is not a problem, just the hull planking. I'll do my best though. Now, on to the false keel and bulkheads,

View attachment 372039
Hallo @Kedennis
we wish you all the Best and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back