Occre HMS Terror Questions

A total newbie here, been fascinated by the Franklin Expedition for nearly 40 years thanks to Iron Maiden - my favorite band - and recently came across the Occre HMS Terror. Looks absolutely beautiful and looks to be a lot fun building it. Having never built a ship model before, am I naïve in thinking it would be a fun build? Also, what tools would I need to build this?

Thanks everyone,

James

Was wondering if this is a good deal?

James
Within this combo set several tools are included, which you may need, but some you will not use or you will buy other tools instead.
And I have the feeling, that these tools are slightly overpriced
So I would buy the model kit somewhere where you get a good price and order some tools, which you will definitely need

Within this combo set several tools are included, which you may need, but some you will not use or you will buy other tools instead.
And I have the feeling, that these tools are slightly overpriced
So I would buy the model kit somewhere where you get a good price and order some tools, which you will definitely need
Thank you Uwe. I think I'm going to do just that.

Found this, and was wondering what other tools would I also need?

Thanks,
James

Found this, and was wondering what other tools would I also need?

Thanks,
James
Would like to get everything I need all at the same time, first kit, tools, adhesives, paints, etc. What adhesives would I need? Now trying to decide on Occre's Terror or Endurance as my first kit. Leaning towards Terror.

Hope I'm not asking too many questions as I'm a total newbie when it comes to ship models..

Would like to get everything I need all at the same time, first kit, tools, adhesives, paints, etc. What adhesives would I need? Now trying to decide on Occre's Terror or Endurance as my first kit. Leaning towards Terror.

Hope I'm not asking too many questions as I'm a total newbie when it comes to ship models..
Terror or Endurance ?

or maybe also the Essex?

All these relatively new kits from Occre are similar designed, means the works and challenges are relatively similar. Also the size of the model.

So I think you should choose the ship you like most and you are interested in. Which of these ship models are most attractive for you.
You have to work on this first model over a longer period of several weeks and months, so you should build the model which you like most.

BTW: related to necessary tools:
Take a look at the building logs f.e. by @STGCS and you will recognize several tools which are used - it will be a good basis to realize which tools most of modelers are using and for which works at which time.
No need now to buy a tool for rigging now, because you will start rigging works in several months.....
So first concentrate on tools for the wooden works

Terror or Endurance ?

or maybe also the Essex?

All these relatively new kits from Occre are similar designed, means the works and challenges are relatively similar. Also the size of the model.

So I think you should choose the ship you like most and you are interested in. Which of these ship models are most attractive for you.
You have to work on this first model over a longer period of several weeks and months, so you should build the model which you like most.

BTW: related to necessary tools:
Take a look at the building logs f.e. by @STGCS and you will recognize several tools which are used - it will be a good basis to realize which tools most of modelers are using and for which works at which time.
No need now to buy a tool for rigging now, because you will start rigging works in several months.....
So first concentrate on tools for the wooden works
Uwe, thank you so much my friend. I'm interested in both ships, but Terror more so, as I've always been fascinated by the Franklin Expedition. so Terror it is. I will probably get rigging tools at the same time, so besides the Ship Modeler's Tool set, get some rigging tools as well? That way I have everything I will need for the build, so to speak. What glues/adhesives do you recommend I get?

I figured it will take many, many months to build and since I'm recently retired I have all the time. I can see my cat wanting to play with the parts when I build.

Again I apologize for asking so many questions,

James

Hello James,

I know you have been having a good conversation with Uwe but perhaps you would not mind if I shared some passing thoughts. Like you I am new to ship modeling and am about half way through my first build. Here is what I want to specifically say: you can find most everything you need in your garage, at the home improvement center near your house, and in that drawer in your kitchen where everything get tossed.

While model ship building will eventually require you to add a few things (primarily because of the small size of what you are working on) it actually doesn't require a unique (hobby specific) set of tools.

With that in mind here are the things I used most when building the wooden part of the ship: clamps of various sizes (especially really small ones), something to test to make sure you are glueing things at a 90 degree angle (like a small machinist's square though I have seen people using lego blocks), wood glue, cyanoacrylate glue (a medium or thick viscosity), sanding sticks for shaping small pieces, sanding blocks for shaping and smoothing the hull, sandpaper of various grits, a very accurate mm ruler, an XActo knife with a few blade types (I use #11 blades primarily), a few tweezer options, some toothpicks to apply glue accurately, excellent lighting, and perhaps some magnification...

When it comes to the rigging I have been using thin cyanoacrylate, a fine tip scissors, and a higher quality tweezers than I was using for the wooden portion of the build. One of those 'helping hands' tools can help hold things in place as well though I confess I rarely use mine. That's about it.

As you can see you have most everything you will need right now. And what you don't have your can pick up locally.

Full disclosure: I have also been adding some speciality tools as needed because of the super small size of what you are building (for example I now have a set of high-end micro files) - but these can be ordered along the way when you discover that you just can't continue without something (or might want to add some conveniences).

Anyway, my encouragement is to not overthink this - just order a kit and take your time. Your most important tool will be patience...

Looking forward to seeing your build log. The folks on the forum will be more than happy to help you along the way.

Hello James,

I know you have been having a good conversation with Uwe but perhaps you would not mind if I shared some passing thoughts. Like you I am new to ship modeling and am about half way through my first build. Here is what I want to specifically say: you can find most everything you need in your garage, at the home improvement center near your house, and in that drawer in your kitchen where everything get tossed.

While model ship building will eventually require you to add a few things (primarily because of the small size of what you are working on) it actually doesn't require a unique (hobby specific) set of tools.

With that in mind here are the things I used most when building the wooden part of the ship: clamps of various sizes (especially really small ones), something to test to make sure you are glueing things at a 90 degree angle (like a small machinist's square though I have seen people using lego blocks), wood glue, cyanoacrylate glue (a medium or thick viscosity), sanding sticks for shaping small pieces, sanding blocks for shaping and smoothing the hull, sandpaper of various grits, a very accurate mm ruler, an XActo knife with a few blade types (I use #11 blades primarily), a few tweezer options, some toothpicks to apply glue accurately, excellent lighting, and perhaps some magnification...

When it comes to the rigging I have been using thin cyanoacrylate, a fine tip scissors, and a higher quality tweezers than I was using for the wooden portion of the build. One of those 'helping hands' tools can help hold things in place as well though I confess I rarely use mine. That's about it.

As you can see you have most everything you will need right now. And what you don't have your can pick up locally.

Full disclosure: I have also been adding some speciality tools as needed because of the super small size of what you are building (for example I now have a set of high-end micro files) - but these can be ordered along the way when you discover that you just can't continue without something (or might want to add some conveniences).

Anyway, my encouragement is to not overthink this - just order a kit and take your time. Your most important tool will be patience...

Looking forward to seeing your build log. The folks on the forum will be more than happy to help you along the way.
Thank you so very much my friend. You have been really helpful. I really am trying hard not to overthink this, I just want to get everything I may need along with the kit so that way I'll have everything already, if that makes sense? Thanks to you, I know what glues I will need.

What paints do you use? I have been looking at Occre's acrylic paints that I will need for Terror, as they have a color chart on their website. I have no affiliation with Micro Mark, but they have some great prices on Occre kits and supplies, which makes one stop shopping easy.

I have used Vallejo acrylics but I was doing some specialty painting. I have no reason to think Occre's paints wouldn't suffice. Model Expo is another place you might look for shopping in the US.

I just want to get everything I may need along with the kit so that way I'll have everything already, if that makes sense?
Not really :) I am also working on my first ship. I have a very complete workshop but looking back to when I started this I had no idea what I was going to need. There just ain't no way you can think of everything you're going to need. Also if you order it all now you're going to get stuff you never need. It may go against your grain but I would wait until you need something before you buy it. As has been said most of the stuff will be available locally and if not Amazon has quick delivery. Like you said, you're just retired, time is on your side. At least for now:):)

A total newbie here, been fascinated by the Franklin Expedition for nearly 40 years thanks to Iron Maiden - my favorite band - and recently came across the Occre HMS Terror. Looks absolutely beautiful and looks to be a lot fun building it. Having never built a ship model before, am I naïve in thinking it would be a fun build? Also, what tools would I need to build this?

Thanks everyone,

James
Hallo @James S
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back