Old Navy Guy gets started!

Good morning all! Old navy guy here and I have finally decided to venture into something I have wanted to do all my life! I amglad that I have found this forum. I think I have found a resource to help with all the apprehensions that have prevented me from doing this. I am absolutely amazed by the stunning craftsmanship I have seen by you guys and hope that some day I can rise to the occasion! I have done a ton of research on how to get started and which kit to start with and that can be over whelming. Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels. I recently bought their phase 1: Lowell Grand Banks Dory. I can't imagine it being any simpler. Next up is their Norweigian Sailing Pram followed by the 18th Century Longboat. Does anyone have opinions on the value of this program? Input would be appreciated! Any way, this old sailer is about to shove off on his life long dream! Thanks for letting me come aboard! Regards, Greg.

Good morning all! Old navy guy here and I have finally decided to venture into something I have wanted to do all my life! I amglad that I have found this forum. I think I have found a resource to help with all the apprehensions that have prevented me from doing this. I am absolutely amazed by the stunning craftsmanship I have seen by you guys and hope that some day I can rise to the occasion! I have done a ton of research on how to get started and which kit to start with and that can be over whelming. Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels. I recently bought their phase 1: Lowell Grand Banks Dory. I can't imagine it being any simpler. Next up is their Norweigian Sailing Pram followed by the 18th Century Longboat. Does anyone have opinions on the value of this program? Input would be appreciated! Any way, this old sailer is about to shove off on his life long dream! Thanks for letting me come aboard! Regards, Greg.
Being an old salt and recognized by your many ventures over the equator and time zones your logical phased entry to modeling, with smaller and more simple boats has a logical course to follow. You can put as much care in detailing and finishing as you desire and a shorter build time should keep your interest alive. These will be excellent show pieces of your voyage into ship modeling for which there should be no right or wrong but only of setting and achieving your own goals . . . with as you have seen in SoS "artistic license" being accepted by all as it is your own model and not that of others. There will be challenges and questions which you have seen are readily responded to a suggestions and recommendations but the decisions will be yours alone.
As with any hobby the tools and accessories become addictive but in the end it is your own eye and hand that crafts the piece/model.
Enjoy the journey, one piece at a time, to attain the expectations of your own. Rich (PT-2)
(Photo Interpreter, Heavy Attack Squadrons (RA-5C) out of NAS Sanford Florida, 1963-66, primarily aboard USS Saratoga in the Med and USS Ranger at Yankee Station (Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club)

Welcome Gregory! What types of model ships are you interested in? If you don't know, that's not a surprise. Many of us develop favorites after doing some research and a model or two.

Welcome Gregory! What types of model ships are you interested in? If you don't know, that's not a surprise. Many of us develop favorites after doing some research and a model or two.
Thanks Kurt for the welcome! Your work is stunning! I would eventually like to develope skills (If I live long enough) to do ships similar to what you are building.

I do mean negative criticism ! The type which drives modelers away from organizations such as this because they feel their work is never good enough. I used to subscribe to a magazine where the "purists" criticized all articles modelers sent in regardless of the quality. Needless to say it's no longer in publication. I feel this group gives a lot of credit to every ones work, and questions for improvement are always welcome.

Welcome to our Merry Group!

When I first got interested in the idea of building wood boats, I didn't know groups and sites like this existed. Maybe they didn't, its been awhile. I was a fly fishing guy with a woodshop intending someday to build a full sized drift boat for river floating and fly fishing. I never did that though. But. I did build a couple of model drift boats from scratch using the same plans for the real one. Plans were from a book about drift boats and were pretty well detailed. Then Christmas 2019,my wife bought me the AL San Francisco model to build. It took 10 months to complete and was fun. Having a 3-phase building program would have been nice too. Beware! The cost of the models is only the beginning! There's always something you have to have when building bigger, more detailed models. You'll see

IMG_2033.JPGIMG_2031.JPGIMG_2032.JPGIMG_2030.JPG.....

Welcome aboard Greg!!!!
Yes, we are a bunch of guys willing to help newcomers to our very addicted hobby.
You mentioned that Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels.
This is so true.
I work for Model Shipways and we really take care of our customers like no other company does.
Don’t get me wrong…we do have a few things that we are adjusting, but if you ever mess any parts of your model, drop me a line and I and will send you a new one for free. Julián.

When I first got interested in the idea of building wood boats, I didn't know groups and sites like this existed. Maybe they didn't, its been awhile. I was a fly fishing guy with a woodshop intending someday to build a full sized drift boat for river floating and fly fishing. I never did that though. But. I did build a couple of model drift boats from scratch using the same plans for the real one. Plans were from a book about drift boats and were pretty well detailed. Then Christmas 2019,my wife bought me the AL San Francisco model to build. It took 10 months to complete and was fun. Having a 3-phase building program would have been nice too. Beware! The cost of the models is only the beginning! There's always something you have to have when building bigger, more detailed models. You'll see

View attachment 280380View attachment 280381View attachment 280382View attachment 280383.....
Looks like you are calling, "Jump in and let's go for a row!" Nice work. Rich (PT-2)

Welcome aboard Greg!!!!
Yes, we are a bunch of guys willing to help newcomers to our very addicted hobby.
You mentioned that Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels.
This is so true.
I work for Model Shipways and we really take care of our customers like no other company does.
Don’t get me wrong…we do have a few things that we are adjusting, but if you ever mess any parts of your model, drop me a line and I and will send you a new one for free. Julián.
Thank you Julian! I look forward to getting started on the Dory and will do the other two. Eventually want to progress to warships as I am an retired Navy guy. Thank you for reaching out! Greg

View attachment 280380View attachment 280381View attachment 280382View attachment 280383.....

Thank you Sir! Recently retired, sold my house of 35 years in CT and moved to Maine and Cape Cod! Still unpacking, but setting up a workshop for this long desired hobbly. Spent most of my life building fine furniture as a hobby. Looks like I will have to get smaller tools! You are definately a true craftsman. Thanks for reaching out! Can't wait to get started. Greg

Welcome Greg. You have come to the right place for friendly advise, and also where no one ever criticizes anyone else's work on the models we create.
Jim
Thanks Jim,
Great to know that there is no negativism. I would greatly appreciate, however, any constructive criticism available. I have learned thru life that that is how I can grow. Thanks for reaching out. This has been a fantastic experience so far!
Greg

Thank you Julian! I look forward to getting started on the Dory and will do the other two. Eventually want to progress to warships as I am an retired Navy guy. Thank you for reaching out! Greg
Greg my two favorite war ships are the Tamiya Bismarck and Missouri 1/350 scale.
I built both and sold it also to a retired navy sailor.
You will enjoy building them because of all the history involved.
The 1/350 Tamiya kit USS MISSOURI (BB-63) the building instructions shows you exactly where was the Surrender document was signed.

Last edited:
Back