Old Navy Guy gets started!

Welcome aboard! Started down the '3-step pathway' after grabbing my first couple of builds from a local hoppy shop I happened to come across one day. Didn't find SOS until partway through the first build but have enjoyed being associated with it since I found it. Great group of folks who like the hobby and are always willing to assist. As I am somewhat space limited where I currently am, I've been happy with building the smaller boats and ships, learning techniques and building up a set of manual and small power tools suitable for work of this sort (most of my other tools are suitable for lumbering or home remodeling - not model ships!). One of these days I hope to build something larger (such as the USS Constitution I served on for a short time back in 1998); that is unless I get really hooked on the small boats,

Enjoy your journey!

Welcome aboard! Started down the '3-step pathway' after grabbing my first couple of builds from a local hoppy shop I happened to come across one day. Didn't find SOS until partway through the first build but have enjoyed being associated with it since I found it. Great group of folks who like the hobby and are always willing to assist. As I am somewhat space limited where I currently am, I've been happy with building the smaller boats and ships, learning techniques and building up a set of manual and small power tools suitable for work of this sort (most of my other tools are suitable for lumbering or home remodeling - not model ships!). One of these days I hope to build something larger (such as the USS Constitution I served on for a short time back in 1998); that is unless I get really hooked on the small boats,

Enjoy your journey!
Thanks John for the hearty welcome! I am enjoying this group immensly! I was for the most part a tin can sailor. Picture of my last duty stationed is my profile picture. I love the USS Constitution and live only about 150 miles from it. Have plans to visit in the spring.
Regards, Greg

WELCOME GREG, GREAT PLACE TO LEARN, HELPFUL PEOPLE, IT IS GOOD TO START WITH THOSE 3 I THINK THE 3RD ONE IS THE SHARPIE, THESE ARE ALSO GOOD FOR A BREAK FROM THE LARGER ONES I WOULD LIKE TO ASK JULIAN WHEN AND WHAT IS THE 4TH ONE. GOD BLESS STAY SAFE ALL DON

Greetings All! Well, I have recently begun my journey! I just started the Model Shipways begiiner kit Grand Banks Dory. So far I have learned a few things: 1. This is not for everybody; I have read a post here somewhere that these are not puzzles that you just take out of the box and put together! Craftmanship is required as soon as you open the box! 2. My years of fine furniture building will come in very handy (at a much, much smaller scale). 3. It is extremely absorbing! Hours passed and I didnot even know it! 4. Having a ton of fun! Probably won't post photos as most of you might find it boring. Thanks for all the encouragement!
Greg

Welcome aboard Greg!!!!
Yes, we are a bunch of guys willing to help newcomers to our very addicted hobby.
You mentioned that Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels.
This is so true.
I work for Model Shipways and we really take care of our customers like no other company does.
Don’t get me wrong…we do have a few things that we are adjusting, but if you ever mess any parts of your model, drop me a line and I and will send you a new one for free. Julián.
Hi Julian!
You mentioned that you work for model shipways. Maybe you can help me or steer me in the right direction. I have started that beginner kit Grand Banks Dory. Seems to be a great kit and I am having fun. I did run into a bit of a jamb. I am at the assembly step where I am being asked to install a false stem (step 13, page 14). The instructions are very vague and do not specify what this part should be made of. Any advice would be appreciated!
Regards,Greg

Good morning all! Old navy guy here and I have finally decided to venture into something I have wanted to do all my life! I amglad that I have found this forum. I think I have found a resource to help with all the apprehensions that have prevented me from doing this. I am absolutely amazed by the stunning craftsmanship I have seen by you guys and hope that some day I can rise to the occasion! I have done a ton of research on how to get started and which kit to start with and that can be over whelming. Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels. I recently bought their phase 1: Lowell Grand Banks Dory. I can't imagine it being any simpler. Next up is their Norweigian Sailing Pram followed by the 18th Century Longboat. Does anyone have opinions on the value of this program? Input would be appreciated! Any way, this old sailer is about to shove off on his life long dream! Thanks for letting me come aboard! Regards, Greg.
Hallo Greg alias @Gregoryhoran312
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Good morning all! Old navy guy here and I have finally decided to venture into something I have wanted to do all my life! I amglad that I have found this forum. I think I have found a resource to help with all the apprehensions that have prevented me from doing this. I am absolutely amazed by the stunning craftsmanship I have seen by you guys and hope that some day I can rise to the occasion! I have done a ton of research on how to get started and which kit to start with and that can be over whelming. Model shipways produces a 3 phase program that introduces required skills at different levels. I recently bought their phase 1: Lowell Grand Banks Dory. I can't imagine it being any simpler. Next up is their Norweigian Sailing Pram followed by the 18th Century Longboat. Does anyone have opinions on the value of this program? Input would be appreciated! Any way, this old sailer is about to shove off on his life long dream! Thanks for letting me come aboard! Regards, Greg.
Hallo @Gregoryhoran312
we wish you all the BEST and a HAPPY BIRTHDAY
Birthday-Cake

Back