Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hi Lawrence ,your Oliver Cromwell looking great!!I guess no rigging for this one just stub mast?
Hello Zoly, I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very nice comments. Yes there will be Rigging that is for sure. The stubby Mizzen Mast is just to protect the Binnacle against breakage as it is wired in for lights. Thanks for all the Likes.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Well after 3 tries of building the Galley Smoke Stack we believe we have a more correct version. I find it hard to believe why Harold M. Hahn did not draw the smoke stack to scale. Apon studying my plan drawings I discover that he has two heights on his set of plans one for a frontal look and yet another on stoves profile. This should have alerted me but I did over look this little detail. However we have glued it in place along with the Ships Belfry.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5724.JPGIMG_5725.JPG

Hello Ship Mates. Work continues these cooped up days in the Old Ship Yard. We have spent the last couple of days building the ships steering wheel. This I found to be a Very exciting part of the Oliver Cromwell build. However with no lathe at my disposal it was a bit of a challenge. But I do believe that our little wheel will fit in quite well. We also built the wheel mounting brackets. As of now these are only dry fitted.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5726.JPGIMG_5727.JPGIMG_5728.JPGIMG_5729.JPGIMG_5730.JPGIMG_5731.JPG

Great looking wheel. Very curious how you went from solid circle to spoked wheel. ;)

Jan
He Jan, sorry I left that part out, after cutting out my circle out on my disk sander I then scribed the inside of the wheel rim. I then cut out to almost to this scrive line using my Jewelry's Saw . I then used needle files to come out to the line. The spokes were turned in my Dremel not all that great but the best I had having no lathe at hand. The spokes were tapered on two sides on the inside end so that they all came together. I then lay my wheel on a flat surface moving each spoke back a bit as to apply my glue and putting it back in place. I then cut the center drum and turned one end down on my drill press the thickness of the spokes plus a little wood disk to hide and attach to the ends of the spokes and then glued it up. This would have been very simple with a lathe, but with ought one this is the best that I could do.
Hope this helps, this was a very pleasant and enjoyable part of my build. You would find it fund to try.
Regards Lawrence

Great results Lawrence!! The wheel is a model itself, and it is perfectly fit on the desk. :)
Hello Jim, I thank you for your visit to my build log, also for your very nice comments. The sizes for my wheel I took from my TFFM book and the mounting brackets from my HMS Bounty book, and this is what I came up with. Harold Hahn does show the wheel on his plans but with very little detail. However this was a fun thing and a very rewarding thing to build.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates, Thursday evin1ng I was installing the wood trim around the upper deck and also the two Stern Gallery Badges, when I got to the Starboard side I was horrified that some how that I can not explain I found the Starboard Badge to be almost 1/8" or 3.20mm to low and the trim would not line up, so I said oh well and continued the trim. Friday AM apon seeing this that I thought that I could live with I said No-Way and ripped off the complete Badge and rebuilt it,, not such a big deal but it set me back just over a day in doing so. I am much more pleased with the over haul look.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5732.JPGIMG_5733.JPG

Hello Ship Mates, We continue to add a bit more detail to our little ship. Today we built and installed the 4 sail cleats on the Mane deck, We also added the 6 little cleats to hold the gun ports open, We also built and installed the 8 Timberheads on the Quarter Deck, starting to look a little more ship shape.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5736.JPGIMG_5738.JPG

Last edited:
Hallo Lawrence,
I made a longer time no comment on your log, sorry for that - very good looking work and good progress :cool:

Hello Ship Mates, The last couple of days we have been working on build working blocks for the ships steering wheel, much like Janos did in his Oliver Cromwell build. We used our little mill and cut out the blocks from a piece of box wood. Yesterday we installed these 8 blocks and rigged the wheel. As Janos pointed out his video shows the wheel and rudder working in the wrong direction, this we corrected.
Janos gave me permission on the use of his video of the wheel to use on my build log. As of now I am having trouble to upload it.
Regards Lawrence

IMG_5739.JPGIMG_5741.JPGIMG_5742.JPGIMG_5743.JPGIMG_5744.JPG

Attachments

• MVI_5802.MOV - Shortcut (2).zip
    759 bytes · Views: 4
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello Ship Mates, It has been a couple of very busy days in the Old Ship Yard adding a bit more detail to our little ship. We have made and installed the trim on the outer edges of the Focal Deck and also the Quarter Deck. We have built and installed the swirls on the ends of the Hand Rails on the Focal Deck, And last but not the least we have built and installed the 4 sets of steps on Mane deck to the Focal Deck and also the Quarter Deck.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5745.JPGIMG_5746.JPGIMG_5747.JPGIMG_5748.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
We have spent the week working on the bow area of our little ship, a very finicky area at that. We have installed the Bowsprit and it's securing gammoning . We have built and installed the 3 sets of Wash Cants. We have also built and installed the upper most Main Rail. We have also dry fitted the 3D printed Figure Head that was supplied to us by Dave Stevens over at the Lumberyard for the size fit. Thanks' Dave
Regards Lawrence
IMG_5749.JPGIMG_5750.JPGIMG_5751.JPG Dave.

Beautiful work!
Hello Nova Storm, I thank you for your kind words. Welcome to my build log, your words and comments are always welcome here. Please pull up a chair and join in the fun of building this little ship. Please stop by often as the door to the Old Ship Yard is always open. May I ask what part of Nova Scotia you come from, just curious!
Regards Lawrence

Back