Oliver Cromwell, POF ,Scale 1:48 by Lawrence [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hallo Lawrence - first of all I want to express, that you are doing a very good job here on the rigging Thumbsup
I have only one thing, that I have to mention, because it would change the appearance in my opinion

The rope ends, which are hanging in the rigging or elsewhere are forming on your model a circle, which you would not find in reality, only at "cowboys and their lassos" - I recognized this rope circles in the left photo first and realized several on the overall photo on the right

IMG_5927.JPG IMG_5929.JPG

In reality, the own weight of the rope is forming them more to an elipse - also please take a look at the way they are fixed to the pins

11.jpg 12.jpg 13.jpg

Here is a link to an old post in another forum (usually I do not make this), but in my opinion the modeler made an extreme good result.

No offense, just a small hint by a friend

Last edited:
Hallo Lawrence - first of all I want to express, that you are doing a very good job here on the rigging Thumbsup
I have only one thing, that I have to mention, because it would change the appearance in my opinion

The rope ends, which are hanging in the rigging or elsewhere are forming on your model a circle, which you would not find in reality, only at "cowboys and their lassos" - I recognized this rope circles in the left photo first and realized several on the overall photo on the right

View attachment 219453 View attachment 219454

In reality, the own weight of the rope is forming them more to an elipse - also please take a look at the way they are fixed to the pins

View attachment 219450 View attachment 219451 View attachment 219452

Here is a link to an old post in another forum (usually I do not make this), but in my opinion the modeler made an extreme good result.

No offense, just a small hint by a friend
Hello Uwe, I do thank you very much for your visit to my build log and also for your very nice and helpful hints. Yes I do agree that the circular hanging rope coils do look out of place and are not at all realistic. This is a struggle between looking realistic and messy. I have been thinking about this prior to your comment on it. I do believe that I will go back and make these hanging rope coils a little more ellipse-l to make them realistically.
Regards Lawrence

@Hello Lawrence. Also bear in mind that it depends what the rope is hanging from. The more solid the fixture is l like those shown in @Uwek Uwe's example, the rope will be more elliptical than those hanging from the rigging (where there is some flexibility). So at our scale, it is a difficult one to guesstimate exactly right. However, it does not detract from what is a fine build with wonderfully accurate rigging! Thumbsup

@Hello Lawrence. Also bear in mind that it depends what the rope is hanging from. The more solid the fixture is l like those shown in @Uwek Uwe's example, the rope will be more elliptical than those hanging from the rigging (where there is some flexibility). So at our scale, it is a difficult one to guesstimate exactly right. However, it does not detract from what is a fine build with wonderfully accurate rigging! Thumbsup
Hello Heinrich, I thank you very much for your visit to my build log also for your very nice comments. Yes it is hard to come up with a system that will work at this scale. It sure would have been a lot easier to build the coils off the ship and not use the one rope such as I have been doing. May have to resort to this yet.
Regards Lawrence

Hello Ship Mates
Well the little fellows and I have finally completed all of the Yards Lifts, attached Shroud Cleats to the Shroud's to belay there control lines. We have adjusted all of the end coils of ropes from that unrealistic circle to a more realistic Ellipse shape that seams to fit in just a bit better. I would appreciate hearing from my Ship Mates if they feel this is not good enough, I do not mind redoes, as we will have to live with it a long time.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5930.JPGIMG_5931.JPGIMG_5932.JPGIMG_5933.JPG

Hello Ship Mates
The little fellows and I have had a rather busy week, We built and installed the Stern Led Running Light and connected it to it's power sores. We completed all of the Mizzen Mast and Yards with there Bracing. And last but not the least we tested out our Led Light circuit's.
Regards LawrenceIMG_5935.JPG]IMG_5936.JPGIMG_5937.JPGIMG_5938.JPG

Last edited:
WOW!!! She is looking FANTASTIC, Lawrence, a real beauty with those lanterns and captain cabin lights!
Hello Jim. I thank you very much for your visit to my build log, also for your very kind words and comments. Yes the Led Lighting will make a nice night lamp and also highlight some of the nice details of this little ship. The Rigging continues still at a very slow pace but it is improving a little.
Regards Lawrence

Well done on the lighting effects. o_O :eek:
Hello Kurt, Thanks for your visit to my build log on the little ship the Oliver Cromwell. I believe the Led Lighting enhances and shows a lot of detail. I was starting to get a bit worried with all of my drilling around the ship this last year that I might have cut a wire or two, but touché wood every thing seams to be in good shape.
Regards Lawrence

Lawrence
It looks to me that the “little fellows”you mentioned are great ship builders, they are doing an outstanding job, you must be paying them a good salary.
Is there a chance that I could hire just a few to help me with my ship?
Hello Bluebeard, I thank you very much for your visit and also for your very kind words. Ha- Ha , yes the little fellows are my driving force and they like to stay close to home.
Regards Lawrence

What Bluebeard said :cool: :)
Exquisite work Lawrence. Your patience and attention to detail is amazing.
Hello Ian, Thanks for your visit and also for your very kind words and nice comments. Yes we do enjoy working with the rigging, it is kind of nice to try and figure out just how these ships worked and what lines control just want, I do like a lot of detail and try to add as much as I am capable of adding, it's just my way.
Regards Lawrence

Back