For sale Online auction for my Dad’s model ship equipment

Dear Mr. and Mrs. Ross,
I believe that every one of us on this Forum offers our deepest condolences to you for the loss of your father, and I am certain that he is very pleased with what you are doing. For those of us that have accumulated unique tools associated with this hobby, it is difficult to think of them being cast aside or allowed to rust in some storage place. Making them available so that other modelers might use them to create works of art is a fine tribute to your father's memory. God Bless you both, Terry
What a wonderful comment, Terry, and thanks so much. 100% on target. I know you folks understand that this is more about getting these items into the hands of other modelers, than any final sales price. Dad was so tickled when he bought the little Unimat lathe at auction, back in '98, and I remember him phoning me when he bought the little Preac saw too. I did not want to have to recycle all those beautiful magazines, either, if I could avoid it.

The quality of the photos in the auction disappointed me. We all know they can be used to make wonderful things. It's probably silly, but even reshooting and posting the photos yesterday made me feel immensely better, no matter the outcome! I love tools; always have, and saying goodbye to some of our blacksmithing tools is hard too. But as old people, we have no need for a 352 lb anvil, and it's time for it to live with someone else. This feels like a giant adoption process, more than a sale, and people have been very kind.

Browsing this group, and seeing the sense of community here, reinforces my understanding of why this hobby was so satisfying for my Dad. I still have a few items I couldn't prepare for this auction (kits, Floquil paints, some parchment paper he had marked as 100% rag) and my hope is to be able to come back here eventually, to offer those directly. He was working on the revenue cutter Dallas when he passed, and that will stay with me until I can figure out a good home, or maybe it'll always stay with me. The adoption continues, lol. Again, thanks so much to everyone.

What a wonderful comment, Terry, and thanks so much. 100% on target. I know you folks understand that this is more about getting these items into the hands of other modelers, than any final sales price. Dad was so tickled when he bought the little Unimat lathe at auction, back in '98, and I remember him phoning me when he bought the little Preac saw too. I did not want to have to recycle all those beautiful magazines, either, if I could avoid it.

The quality of the photos in the auction disappointed me. We all know they can be used to make wonderful things. It's probably silly, but even reshooting and posting the photos yesterday made me feel immensely better, no matter the outcome! I love tools; always have, and saying goodbye to some of our blacksmithing tools is hard too. But as old people, we have no need for a 352 lb anvil, and it's time for it to live with someone else. This feels like a giant adoption process, more than a sale, and people have been very kind.

Browsing this group, and seeing the sense of community here, reinforces my understanding of why this hobby was so satisfying for my Dad. I still have a few items I couldn't prepare for this auction (kits, Floquil paints, some parchment paper he had marked as 100% rag) and my hope is to be able to come back here eventually, to offer those directly. He was working on the revenue cutter Dallas when he passed, and that will stay with me until I can figure out a good home, or maybe it'll always stay with me. The adoption continues, lol. Again, thanks so much to everyone.
Thank you for your reply. I commend you on the nice photos that you provided and I wish you the very best in your adoption efforts.
Regards, Terry

Well your auction has a few bidders on it, several of the items I had bid on have new higher bids, so we shall see where they top out on.

For me shipping or driving to pick them up is being figured in bid costs.

Please list kits and supplies as other may be interested in them.

If your Dallas kit is not complete, maybe someone near your home can offer to finish the kit for your father.

Please list kits and supplies as other may be interested in them.

If your Dallas kit is not complete, maybe someone near your home can offer to finish the kit for your father.
I sure will. It may be a while, as we kind of have a tiger by the tail right now, and the blacksmith equipment sale is intended to clear the road for a possible out-of-state move. When the dust settles, I'll have a better feel for how soon I can list the remaining things (they're easier to move, if I have to do that.) Tomorrow's the public open house to let bidders inspect the items in person, so maybe I'll be able to meet some local model ship builders, fingers crossed!

Dad had just completed the masts for "the good ship Dallas," as he always referred to it, so your suggestion might be one I can pursue. Thanks again.

Back