Ooops Fair-A-Frame - building a better one

To make sure the keel sits square in the clamp, I glued some spacers using some very thin ply so it doesn't prevent tightening the clamp against the keel, but allows the bottom of the keel to be aligned by sitting on top of the spacers.

DSC_0007.JPG
DSC_0008.JPG
I offset the spacers alternately from one clamp as compared to the other so both edges of the base of the keel are supported.

Last edited:
Nice, Jeff. I can see the remnants of your dismembered FAF waiting there to be repurposed

Nice, Jeff. I can see the remnants of your dismembered FAF waiting there to be repurposed
Yes, in curiosity I placed the two FAF end clamps over the base of my new keel clamp, and they happen to fit nice and tight. Because a clamped false keel would be square, I can adjust the FAF end clamps to be square to the false keel, to give the false keel some upper stability in theory. I still think they are too flimsy, so I could remake them according to their design but with more bulky and sturdy materials.

Following this with much interest Jeff.
I think an improved version of this frame jig would be popular item for a company to fabricate and sell to model builders.

Back