Ordering blocks

I ordered a bunch of blocks from Dry Dock. They arrived yesterday. Beautiful blocks. I don't know how these things are made but they are nice. Stropping the 2.5mm blocks is going to have a very steep learning curve. It's like trying to tie a line around a poppy seed:) I've found lots of videos but most of them don't seem to deal with the very tiny blocks. Old, shaky hands don't help:)
Anyway, very nice blocks.

I ordered a bunch of blocks from Dry Dock. They arrived yesterday. Beautiful blocks. I don't know how these things are made but they are nice. Stropping the 2.5mm blocks is going to have a very steep learning curve. It's like trying to tie a line around a poppy seed:) I've found lots of videos but most of them don't seem to deal with the very tiny blocks. Old, shaky hands don't help:)
I am really happy that you like them!!

I ordered 1.5mm blocks from Dry-Dock and was able to strop them using a very fine line. And yes like working with poppy seeds. The trick is to find line small enough line to run through the block itself.

Try applying a small amount of glue to the bottom of the block so the thread will stick there, and then tie your strop after the glue has set enough to not allow the line to slip off.

Hi Don (@Don Case),

I'm no expert but this is how I solved the puzzle of stropping these tiny blocks.

I grabbed the block with a tweezers and then pushed the handles of the tweezers into a small vice mounted on my worktable in a way that squeezed the tips of the tweezers firmly around the block. This left both hands free and the slot for the stropping available and visible:

IMG_7018.JPG

I was adding hooks, but the same next step works with a becket. I tied the stropping line to the hook and then wrapped that around the block holding the ends of the line tight:

IMG_7022.JPG IMG_7023.JPG

After using CA to secure the lines I cut off the ends. Not a proper stropping but good luck seeing the difference on these little blocks:

IMG_7033.JPG

Hope this helps!

IMG_7004.JPG

I ran a small needle through the hole in the block and the set the needle into a vice to hold it steady as I stropped the block.
I thought of that but I was afraid the taper on the needle might split the block. Well, that and I(or my wife) didn't have a small enough needle. They are on the shopping list.

Back