Ouch - be aware of the sawing machines!

Yikes, hope the recovery goes well.
I see some videos of modelers using saws with out guards and I cringe hoping they don't cut their fingers, maybe that's why I don't have a tablesaw, cant trust myself.
Thanks Richie.

I see you don;t have a tablesaw. Do you use a bandsaw like Don?

I can empathize. I once got complacent with a table saw that was spinning down. Luckily there was only one stitch needed--could have been much worse.

I too am very wary of the table saw. I have a Dewalt table saw in my workshop and a Byrnes for my models. No matter the quality, the make, the age or the size of these saws they can all be equally dangerous, as you have found. When I work with that little Byrnes I take as much time setting up and checking everything as I do for the Dewalt. I have still had near misses but luckily all I had to do was change my pants :D.

The advice on working with a bandsaw is sound. You still need to be very careful but I find it a little safer and a more versatile machine overall.

I wish you a speedy recovery Herman.

I too am very wary of the table saw. I have a Dewalt table saw in my workshop and a Byrnes for my models. No matter the quality, the make, the age or the size of these saws they can all be equally dangerous, as you have found. When I work with that little Byrnes I take as much time setting up and checking everything as I do for the Dewalt. I have still had near misses but luckily all I had to do was change my pants :D.

The advice on working with a bandsaw is sound. You still need to be very careful but I find it a little safer and a more versatile machine overall.

I wish you a speedy recovery Herman.
Roger, I thank you for your message and best wishes.
The bandsaw is gaining ground.

Herman

Thanks Richie.

I see you don;t have a tablesaw. Do you use a bandsaw like Don?
No bandsaw either, but then I haven't got to the point of scratch building either so perhaps it may be an essential tool in that case.

The toll of working at Hatteras yachts for 20 years, from saws has sure paid its price for me.
A table saw will chew you up and spit you out, but a band saw will slice you up like a prime rib.
Both deserve respect to safety, or you will surely pay the price.
Another terror of a tool is a plainer or jointer, that machine will take the palm side of your hand before you even know it. Safety first, follow instructions, and above all do not wear long sleeves or jewelry while operating these machines

The toll of working at Hatteras yachts for 20 years, from saws has sure paid its price for me.
A table saw will chew you up and spit you out, but a band saw will slice you up like a prime rib.
Both deserve respect to safety, or you will surely pay the price.
Another terror of a tool is a plainer or jointer, that machine will take the palm side of your hand before you even know it. Safety first, follow instructions, and above all do not wear long sleeves or jewelry while operating these machines
Thanks you for the advice Steven. I hope the price you paid was not too high! Stay safe.
Herman

Safety is partly in the height of the blade. If you let the teeth protrude only slightly above the level of the wood you are sawing, the machine acts less crude and is less about to give sudden reactions. I worked with table saws for years and never had any injury. (Fingers crossed) :)
Thank you Ab.

The teeth were about 1cm protruding from the table and about 2 or 3 mm above the wooden strip i was reducing in thickness, but when the wood was launched away it was the full 1cm to inflict the damage. Should have used a thicknesser, but such a machine is not (yet) in my possession.

Luckily I still can keep all my fingers crossed (for all of you).

Herman

A nice topic for the category "well, what can i say". Shame on me.

Last evening had an accident with my tablesaw sawing some wood for the gunports. Fed the wood safely (i thought) into the machine by means of an other piece of (push) wood. With my left hand i gently held the wood to the fence, that is where i went wrong. For some reason the wood (stuck?) was launched at me and at that moment (as a natural defensive reaction?) my left hand must have moved forward end the top of my index finger was caught by the blade..ouch.
Initially I thought the wood must have hit my finger as i had not held my hand in the direct vicinity of the blade, but i couldn't explain the hole in my nail and due to the rich amount of blood i did not see the top of my finger.
In the hospital x-ray photos showed that also the bone was damaged. Ultimately the nail was removed and everything stitched together.

For the time being i am out of the running.

I won't be the first but i share this with you in the hope i will be the last. I spare you the photos and hope you are and stay well.

Herman
Herman, you are not the only one with a FET-incident this month. On Tuesday the 5th, one day before my departure for a snowshoe trekking in Sweden, I was sawing some strips for the deck of the Bluenose. Also very careful. I wanted to place a strip from the right side to the working table on the left side. But my right hand thumb paste the sawblade not high enough. The saw grabbed the thumb and the thumb turned a bit round. Luckily not the bone, but 4 stiches. And luckily, during the trekking I had no problems with the thumb. Now we are 3 weeks later and I am thinking on starting up the building yard.
So, a accident ‘zit in een klein hoekje’ (is in a little corner?).
I hope you can use your finger soon Thumbs-Up;)
Regards, Peter

Last edited:
I was sawing some strips for the deck of the Bluenose. Also very careful. I wanted to place a strip from the right side to the working table on the left side. But my right hand thumb paste the saw blade not high enough
In the distant past, I worked as a car mechanic and my then supervisor taught me to bring routine into your work order. So that you do not forget anything. But he also said, do each operation as if it were your first time. Because routine in your work makes you do your actions faster and that brings inattention. And that is how accidents happen.

In the distant past, I worked as a car mechanic and my then supervisor taught me to bring routine into your work order. So that you do not forget anything. But he also said, do each operation as if it were your first time. Because routine in your work makes you do your actions faster and that brings inattention. And that is how accidents happen.

100% agree.

Herman, you are not the only one with a FET-incident this month. On Tuesday the 5th, one day before my departure for a snowshoe trekking in Sweden, I was sawing some strips for the deck of the Bluenose. Also very careful. I wanted to place a strip from the right side to the working table on the left side. But my right hand thumb paste the sawblade not high enough. The saw grabbed the thumb and the thumb turned a bit round. Luckily not the bone, but 4 stiches. And luckily, during the trekking I had no problems with the thumb. Now we are 3 weeks later and I am thinking on starting up the building yard.
So, a accident ‘zit in een klein hoekje’ (is in a little corner?).
I hope you can use your finger soon Thumbs-Up;)
Regards, Peter
Hi Peter. I see it happened to you too! Evidence i am in good company here.

Yesterday evening I have removed most of the bandages and it looks promising but, as you had to, i must give it some time to get going again.

Thanks for your message.

Regards, Herman

That was some good advice. Something to keep in mind.
Regards, Herman

BAND SAW BY ALL MEANS HAVE HAD MINE FOR AT LEAST 3 YEARS can do everything a table saw can and more i can get strips very, very thin with a blade change can do re sawing great tool.
Hello Don

I am rather new to this forum but I am already aware that you have a special, highly appreciated, seat in it.
I would like to wish you a HAPPY BIRTHDAY and stay well and safe Don.

Herman

A little late, but here are a coupe of articles (in English-sorry) on tablesaw kickback. It is a scary but preventable event!

and

Hi Herman

Glad to hear you are on the mend.I am OK with breaks, blood severed limbs etc, but one mention of nail damage makes me cringe.Lost one nail once and never want to experience that again.
Food for thought;
Before moving to management,I had nearly 30 years on the Tools in heavy structural steel fabrication.Aside from a dislocated shoulder and a broken finger (every bone lengthways) all my injuries and the nastiest have been inflicted at home!
Highlights include falling off ladders and landing on the corner of a wall missing my spine by 1 inch.Certain paralysis I was told by the Doctor as the disc would of gone straight through my spine had the wall struck it.Instead 6 months of Physio as I ripped every Tendon in my lower back.
I once cut a long way through my wrist with an angle grinder to the extent of the main artery was in full view and all the skin either side had been ground away.This was working on a car at home.
Trust me,the list goes on.......

Guess the point I am trying to make is we all feel comfortable and perhaps complacent working on our models which in itself makes it riskier than the workplace where health and safety is mandatory.

Kind Regards

Nigel

Back