our forum

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dave Stevens (Lumberyard)

Sponsor: dlumberyard
Staff member
Sponsor

When anyone searches the web for "images of" or Googles a subject this forum will be searches and information is included in the search results. At one time these was a big brouhaha about search engines searching and using posted images that were suppose to be the property of the person posting the image and not to be used in any way outside the forum. Some went to great lengths to protect images from search engines and prevent the general public from seeing the image.
To me it stands to reason the more images are viewed by the public the more exposure the hobby gets, thus the hobby grows. When the hobby shows growth businesses see a thriving market and will invest in research and development and the results will be better products.
I believe the internet is the "public" so when you post images or comments you are speaking or showing your work to the public. When it is in the public domain it is there for public use. If you are touchy about what you do on line or images you post on line then I suggest keep it to yourself.
SOS is not some private country club it is a window into this hobby and everyone is invited to take a look. If an image I posted here shows up on another forum or web site my thought is great someone thought it was worthy of passing on. My work or images is being spread far and wide and that is a good thing.
This brings me to the quality of images, I do not expect everyone to be an accomplished photographer or take a lot of time to compose each and every shot. There are some basic rules like don't post images that are sideways or upside down or images that are so blurred you can't tell what the heck it is. Try not to use thumbnails hit the FULL IMAGE that way the general public can see the image. You don't have to create an in depth build log just images of what you doing is worth posting.
It would be nice in the long run to have a data base of images all kinds of images that can be referred to by anyone.
this is just my personal opinions and not those of the forums administrative staff.

Good post Dave and I totally agree with your comments.If I want to keep something private,I keep if off the net period.I am aware images of my latest work is being shared all over the shop on Facebook,do I care?No I do not,if it is of benefit to someone else in the hobby then so much the better.I have seen modelers go to great lengths putting signatures on their pics etc saying they are copyright when I doubt they actually are.I don't see the point,it is a ship model,not the latest top secret means to produce electricity.

Kind Regards

Nigel

I have seen modelers go to great lengths putting signatures on the pics etc saying they are copyright when I doubt they actually are.I don't see the point

I do not see the point either, perhaps because they think someone is going to come along and offer a small fortune for their image, maybe just ego who knows.
I noticed going through museums I always ask is photography allowed? 99% of the time it is yes feel free. I wondered, this is the work of artists, museum collections etc. one time I did meet an artist who had her work in a museum. I did ask her about people taking pictures of her work and plastering it all over the internet. to my surprise she said WOW that is wonderful my work being shared like that. The more it is shown the more awareness comes my way.
yes there is a line to respect the work of others or give credit where credit is due or making a profit from others work. That is not what i am talking about here. to use an image from a build log on some hobby forum REALLY! guard it with you life, copyright it, don't let anyone use it, come on. If that is the case it should not have been put there.

think about it if your images are being spread far and wide you might think man that is my image and i am not getting a credit line how wrong! but if your work is that interesting it will come back to you because people will want to know the source.

Agreed... and a question. Do we have to give a 'talking' name to the pictures (say name of the ship, name of detail etc) before we save them on the forum? I assume the search engines look for name / properties of the picture. Pictures having been copied from cameras use generic names like DFG xxxx etc.
Janos

Agreed... and a question. Do we have to give a 'talking' name to the pictures (say name of the ship, name of detail etc) before we save them on the forum? I assume the search engines look for name / properties of the picture. Pictures having been copied from cameras use generic names like DFG xxxx etc.
Janos
Not sure if the search engine searches the properties but I can look it up,if somebody downloads the image and was named than they got a straight answer what is on the image.

SOS program has a SEO (Search Engine Optimization) built in. You can always name your image (from the default DSC, IMG, etc) as this is a way that I always keep up with my files. I highly suggest renaming your images. This way the google / SEO can perform further search enhancements. This is why I rename my images like: hull01, deck01, planking01, foremast01, etc. When someone does an IMAGE search on google it will look for anything that has the words 'hull, deck, planking, foremast.

I am also a member of Astronomy Forums. Many people put their name, date, what the image is, on their postings. But, the astronomy forums are a whole different medium. They also do not want their star, galaxy, images to show up in some publication too. This is understandable. As astro-photography for the amature has reached levels of publication quality work. Astro-photography as a huge foot print of customers, users, etc that run into the millions of customers.

People can copy images of your ship online, but just think, you have the REAL thing in your home. Its NOT portable like other Mediums. IF a person wants to rob art-work off the internet- they can import that into their Photoshop or whatever and manipulate the image to look like oil painting. Then take it to a high quality print shop and wa-la. I can hang this in my house or re-sale it -- it is portable. But, any artisit is going to know this and protect their work aggressively.The hobby such as ours is NOT portable. The images are - but how is that really going to benefit anyone.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back