PÅJAMA BRYNHILDA (1775) – Swedish gunboat - Scratch [COMPLETED BUILD]

Hello, in recent years I have prepared several models of small boats, they are not majestic like the frigates or liners that I see here, but I think that those gunboats, fishing boats or small sailing merchants have their charm.

Please, excuse my english

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 1a of 6)

Introduction
In August 2022, I finished a swedish gunboat, based on some Amati plans as well as photos of model, which served as a guide and also with the support of several comments from a modeling forum ; Anyway, the model ended up in Stockholm, in the room of one of my 8 yo. grandchildren (I wait on a shelf and not “sailing” in the nearby lagoon. In a couple of months they will come to visit and to give a similar gunboat to my other grandson, I started searching on the internet; on the digitaltmuseum.se website, I found several plans of frigates, longboats and gunboats, some plans were just sketches, are not completed, but I found a nice plan of a gunboat named Brynhilda, classified like Påjama and designed by Chapman.

These Påjama ships were larger than the gunboat I had finish, and they were classified as “Baltic frigates”, I will transcribe the description included in the original plan:

Drawing of a ship for the Army Fleet, to be rowed with 14 pairs of oars, 2 men per oar. Length above the stern: 98 feet - Deck width 20 1/4 feet - Armed draft 6 feet , with provisions for 6 weeks and water for 3 weeks for a crew of 100 men - The equipment is two 12-pounder guns in the stern and two more 12-pounders in the bow, as well as four 3-pounder Nickhooks on each side. , January 18, 1775. Fred H de Chapman. "Påjama Brynhilda"

From the plan, we can see the platforms at the bow and stern for the 12-pound cannons, which are mounted on gun carriages that can move and rotate around a vertical axis; also a central deck where the holds, seats for the rowers and the 3-pound stoners or as they call them Nickhooks are located.

The mainmast which is foldable, consists of two parts; The lower fixed one is a semi-box with interior dimensions of 0.50x0.50 m and 4.50 m in length, inclined 5º towards the bow, at the upper end it has an axis that allows the 22.3 meters long mast (which on the plane looks depressed) to be lowered. In addition, the mizzen rests next to it, which has a length of 12.0 meters and also rotates on a pin mounted on the poop, on the arch closest to the stern. Also above the poop, the gaff and sails already prepared must be tied.

“The Påjama ships were two-masted and single-decker and began construction in 1760. The Påjama ships was the smallest type and can almost be described as a corvette. This made it easier to maneuver than, for example, the Hemmeman, and although she was less well armed, she had the advantage that the artillery could also be used for rowing. The Påjama was primarily intended as a so-called news ship and was mainly used for courier and reconnaissance missions. The four Påjama ships participated only to a limited extent in Gustav III's Russian War. The Brynhilda, built in 1776, took part in the first battle of Svenskund in 1789. She was scrapped in 1799. A contemporary 1:16 scale model of the ship is in the collections of the Museum of Maritime History.

The next photos correspond to the model of the BRYNHILDA (1776) in the exhibition of the Maritime History Museum in Stockholm. There it is at a 1:16 scale, probably made in 1776 by Chapman, it was forgotten until the 1890s where it was restored and exhibited in the Pavilion of the „Archipelago Fleet“, at the General Exhibition of Art and Industry in Stockholm in 1897.

PH0 OR 2599_1 - copia.jpg

PH1 (1).jpg

ph1 (8).jpg

ph1 (11).JPG

ph1 (12).JPG

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 1b of 6)

References
https://www.hhogman.se/army-fleet-sweden.htm

General Data
Påjama Type
Defense Function
Scale 1:75
Total Length 29.95 m (400 mm)
Total Height 5.67 m (76 mm)
Length 29.09 m (387 mm)
Beam 6.01 m (80 mm)
Prop 2.23 m (29 mm)

On shipyard
I will work with the OR-2599_1 plan obtained from the digital archive of the Sjohistoriska Museet in Stockholm. I transcribed it into AutoCAD and took its dimensions, trying various scales, it seems to me that a scale of 1:75 is suitable for the available space, the model would be about 40 centimeters. Since the frames of the hull cannot be seen, I will make the model using a false keel and from the shape plane I will obtain the frames.

The following photos are Autocad screens; later I printed them in two PDF files for laser cutting (about 12 soles each cut or 3 euros), weeks ago I started drawing several models like this gunboat “Brynhilda”; the “St. Patrick” which is a Hooker from Galway (Ireland); Reine des Fleurs” which is a small French fishing boat and a “Schifetto Carlofortino” fishing boat from Sardinia, so I already entertainment for several months.

I started with the removal of the pieces and assembly of the hull internal structure, ….a problem, the false keel warped somewhat, so I have to place some diagonal reinforcements in the vertical plane and parallel to the false keel, so that it absorbs its deflection and torsion.

ph1 (13).JPG

ph1 (14).JPG

ph1 (15).jpg

ph1 (16).jpg

Hi José,

Looks like a great start!

Not often one sees these Chapman designs built as models.

For scale purpose, I trust you are aware of the differences in the measurment of a foot?
The French, English and Swedish foot differs.
Chapman has a useful table for this with a defferent scale measure for the different mesures for his plans in his Architectura Mercatoria Navalis.

A Swedish foot was 0,29690 at the time of Chapman.

Following this build with great interest!

Thanks,
Peter

Hi José,

Looks like a great start!

Not often one sees these Chapman designs built as models.

For scale purpose, I trust you are aware of the differences in the measurment of a foot?
The French, English and Swedish foot differs.
Chapman has a useful table for this with a defferent scale measure for the different mesures for his plans in his Architectura Mercatoria Navalis.

A Swedish foot was 0,29690 at the time of Chapman.

Following this build with great interest!

Thanks,
Peter
Hello PJenssen,
You are correct, the Swedish foot has measurements like the one you indicated and it is the one I used in my model.
98 ft x 296.9 mm/ft = 29096 mm
at 1:75 scale
29096 / 75 = 387 mm that I used as "length"
The indicated "total length" (29.95 m or 400mm to scale) includes the stern platform, which extends beyond the hull
Greetings
Jose

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 2 of 6)

I also have to place the first two 2x5 mm planks very carefully so that the false keel follows the centerline axis. The rest of the strakes are 1x5 mm thick, it makes bending or placing easier, but does not leave too much margins for sanding.
I filled it thinking about adding a second layer, but I chose to sand it very carefully (#250 and #800) and stained it walnut color.

ph1 (17).jpg

ph1 (18).jpg

ph1 (19).jpg

PH2 (1).JPG

PH2 (2).JPG

PH2 (4).jpg

PH2 (6).jpg

PH2 (7).jpg

PH2 (8).JPG

PH2 (9).JPG

A Pojama is a very interesting project - very good preparation and works

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 3 of 6)

Place the central deck and prepare the bow and stern castles, which I will place last, after I have mounted the cannons and other elements on them.

The central channel is installed, the stern poop is made, and the cannons and castle railings are mounted. The rowers' seats were prepared with 1x3x20 mm wood supported on a 0.65 mm wire.

The cannons were turned with a total length of 30 mm and a larger diameter of 5 mm. The 1x12 mm wood carriages. In the same way, nickhooks were made.

The mainmast and mizzen of 5 and 2 mm diameter were lowered to give them a conical shape.

For the poop, 2x2 mm rods were bent until an inverted “U” was obtained and a central reinforcement was placed; Closing elements were aligned and mounted, as well as the reinforcements for the mizzen support axis and support for the lowered mainmast.

The stern and bow castles are assembled, as well as the poles, railings, nickhooks, and the stern poop.

Using the colors of the model in the museum, the elements were painted with a dark red and black, the rest was left in walnut color.

PH3 (1).jpg

PH3 (2).jpg

PH3 (3).jpg

PH3 (4).jpg

PH3 (5).jpg

PH3 (6).jpg

PH3 (7).jpg

PH3 (8).jpg

PH3 (9).jpg

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 4&5 of 6)

Once finished, place the anchor, the mainmast and mizzen lifting system (here I use the OR-2599_2 dwng, different from the OR-2599_1 drawing). Considering that the mainmast and the mizzen could be raised quickly, I place shrouds with their respective beams on these elements, also prepare 28 oars and tie a sail to the foremast.

PH4 (1).jpg

PH4 (2).jpg

PH4 (3).jpg

PH4 (4).jpg

PH4 (5).jpg

PH4 (6).jpg

PH5 (3).JPG

PH5 (1).JPG

PH5 (2).JPG

Påjama Brynhilda (Part 6 of 6)
While it is true that a sailship looks splendid with all the masts and sails mounted, but my objective was to make the Brynhilda as it appears in Chapman's plan, that is, with the masts lowered. Below I transmit the photos of the finished model. Greetings.

PÅJAMA BRYNHILDA 1775
Påjama Type
Defense Function
Scale 1:75
Total Length 29.95 m (400 mm)
Total Height 5.67 m (76 mm)
Length 29.09 m (387 mm)
Beam 6.01 m (80 mm)
Draught 2.23 m (29 mm)
By Jose Ruesta
Lima Peru
March 2024

Other models made, you can find them on my blog:
https://
Modelismo Naval: Mi colección (modelismonavaljoseruesta.blogspot.com)

ph7 (0).jpg

PH7 (1).jpg

PH7 (2).JPG

PH7 (3).JPG

PH7 (4).JPG

PH7 (5).JPG

PH7 (6).JPG

PH7 (7).JPG

PH7 (8).JPG

PH7 (9).JPG

PH7 (10).JPG

PH7 (11).JPG

PH7 (12).JPG

PH7 (13).JPG

PH7 (14).jpg

PH7 (15).JPG

PH7 (16).JPG

PH7 (17).jpg

PH7 (18).jpg

PH7 (19).jpg

PH7 (20).jpg

PH7 (21).jpg

PH7 (22).jpg

Congratulations from my side for finishing this highly interesting vessel - great result
BTW: I like the way with the "folded" mast

Back