PANTALOON tender to Royal George yacht 1/200 Oriel card kit

Hello friends,

after an big change in my life I do now find some time for modelbuilding again under changed circumstances.

Caputure BORDOLETA.jpg

As my ship yard is in removal boxes I decided to build something small. And due to this I looked for a small ship in a small scale - and was able to find it:

DSCN3755.JPG

HMS PANTALOON was build as a yacht for the 5th Duke of Portland in 1831 and purchased by the RN in December of the very same year.
In January 1840 we found her - armed with eight 18prd carronades, a pair of 6pdr cannons - as tender to HMY ROYAL GEORGE that is how I want to build her.

Her measurements are interestingly:
Length on lower deck 90ft
Breadth 29'4 1/4" x depth 12'8"
The hull length of the kit will be some 140mm.

DSCN3756.JPG

The plan's booklet gives us a plenty of fine detailling and helpfull scetches to the rigg:
DSCN3765.JPG

I am absolutly unshure how to build her in full canvas or with blank masts:

DSCN3766.JPG

We do have got the halfmodel of her hull in the NMM with the ordonance in ivory with her complete black hull as driven at the African west-coast during the fight against slavers*:

l0675_001.jpg

As the kit comes with a print of the hull with her early colouring I decided to take her in this manner as I think a

201601201435400.Pantaloon 1831.jpg
Royal Tender is a really intersting goal for a build.
So I have ordered the
Spantensatz-fuer-britischer-Brigg-HMS-Pantaloon-1831-1200-Oriel-271_16532.jpg
laser-cut bulkhead set and other helpfull items. The space between the bulkheads will be filled with balsa wood - and the gunports in the bulkwark are slightly opened for the hot summer of 1840. Soaking the bulkwalk with superglue should make it stiff - so the guunports could be openend. I like to try to open them - as the staircases (the cut outs are given in the longitudinal frame/center board) to give some more eyecatchers on this small model with its tiny (some160mm) long deck.

About some details I am completly uncertain - the later colours (as on HMS TERROR/EREBUS) were green inside the bulkwalk - but in 1840 as a Royal Tender, too?
The under water ship is printed completly in a copper oxyd brown. So I do think of imitating the copper plates by thin paper - priming them in differend shades of black and anthrazit and spraying the hole in a bronze to finish it "coppered out of the can"... But is it some brainless thing to do?

HMS_PA.jpg
The admirality drawing ZAZ5113 gives us a fine lined yacht for high speed - ideal for a fast messenger in Royal duty or a hunter of fast slavers. Important to me is the absence of a steering wheel. Alsoo the rigg is quite simple as it is a brigg rigg and I am planing to use Evergreen piping material for

sail.jpg
the masts and yards in ZAZ 5115

I thin there will have beem np imitated windows on the transom - only a nameolate and two gunports (square or round?) and I do look a bit scared for the very nice figurehead:

l0675_002.jpg

That's my new project folks...

Hope you like it - I am awaiting some additive parts and I do think about how to store the kit save during the built - due to two big "agile" dogs entering my new life - an old wooden ammo box my be the right thing...

Best wishes from Berlin,

Chris

*When the sailing briggs were replaced by steampowered sidewheelers the coal for the independend speed in this fight against slavery was digged out of the earth in the Welsh and Northumberland mines... ...by children.

Last edited:
In the cardboard the inside bulkwalks are really printed green (and the ugly bronze-brown is viewable)...

Parts 20b/20a 21b/21a

DSCN3757.JPG

but the contemporary HMS ROVER is painted in buff...
with red transom gunport lids...

HMS_Rover_1832.jpg
... do I have to change the colour???:rolleyes:

Thanks a lot Uwe, hat is very helpfull.
You are welcome
BTW: You have a great new photo as avatar - Is ityour dog? We had also a Basset some years ago - they are very very special ;)

Nice model, I am also curious to see the quality of the Oriel kits and how they are assembled. I follow you with great interest.

Hello my last patch of additive parts came by pacel today - so on the weekend I cannstart with the build in my axillary ship yard.

So as a first step I will have to photocopy the plan set to get spare parts for safty. Also I will try out to enlarge the kit by 312% (in two steps by using 156% =1/128) to come up to 1/64... to go towards more a scratch than an kit bashing I think.

As I figured out today there is NO masts and yards set coming with the additive PE-parts - because I couldn't order any, as ther isn't any...

So I do need to work with a print out of the

url (2).jpeg
sails plan and reduce it to 1/200 scale.

I have been told to decide the very finished configuration of the model as my goal. And was advised not to change it in any way. So I think I will build her under full sail with yards in 45°. I want to add her in a display stand - using two chess figures with a cleft head and a nail in it for fixing the hull over a marhaghonian wood board.

So let's start with the kit review and it's additives to give you some idea what I am talking about a 150mm long hulled card board kit.

Yours Chris

(Pictures do follow tonight.)

Last edited:
Hello my last patch of additive parts came by pacel today - so on the weekend I cannstart with the build in my axillary ship yard.

IMG-20210113-WA0012.jpeg
So as a first step I will have to photocopy the plan set to get spare parts for safty. Also I will try out to enlarge the kit by 312% (in two steps by using 156% =1/128) to come up to 1/64... to go towards more a scratch than an kit bashing I think.

As I figured out today there is NO masts and yards set coming with the

IMG-20210113-WA0016.jpeg

IMG-20210113-WA0018.jpeg
additive PE-parts - because I couldn't order any, as ther isn't any...

So I do need to work with a print out of the sails plan and reduce it to 1/200 scale.

I have been told to decide the very finished configuration of the model as my goal. And was advised not to change it in any way. So I think I will build her under full sail with yards in 45°. I want to add her in a display stand - using two chess figures with a cleft head and a nail in it for fixing the hull over a marhaghonian wood board.

So let's start with the kit review and it's additives to give you some idea what I am talking about a

IMG-20210113-WA0014.jpeg
150mm long hulled card board kit.

Yours Chris

Very good descriptions .... so we all wish you a lot of fun building the model
We are looking forward to follow your building log

You are welcome
BTW: You have a great new photo as avatar - Is ityour dog? We had also a Basset some years ago - they are very very special ;)
Ne I will put in a real picture of Hermann (Bernasennen-Dogge-mix) if he is able to stay calm some seconds...
We have had a Beagle what makes Bassetts so very special?

Ne I will put in a real picture of Hermann (Bernasennen-Dogge-mix) if he is able to stay calm some seconds...
We have had a Beagle what makes Bassetts so very special?
Kurz off-topic:
Basset Hound specials:

25Kg mit tiefem Schwerpunkt (kurze Beine und langer Körper) - also Hund bewegt sich nur, wenn er will, nicht wenn du es willst.
stoische Ruhe - manche sagen auch - "stur" - eine Katze im Hundefell
unser Basset hasste Regen bzw. nasse Füße - also "leichte" Erschwernisse beim Gassi gehen -> keine Chance

aber unwahrscheinlich lieben Charakter - ist ein Meute-Hund, es gibt also keine alpha - beta - gamma Diskussion -> alle in der Familie sind gleich
Unsere Tochter konnte als Baby auf ihr herumklettern und sie hat nicht einmal mit den Augenliedern gezuckt

Das war unsere Sofia:
2013-11-08 09.27.41.jpg

und das ist unser derzeitiger Hund - Vanda - ein Lagotto Romagnolo (italiensicher Wasserhund) (der rechte von den beiden)
vanda1.jpg

Briefly off-topic:
Basset Hound specials:

25kg with a low center of gravity (short legs and long body) - so dog only moves when he wants, not when you want it.
stoic calm - some also say - "stubborn" - a cat in a dog's fur
our basset hated rain or wet feet - so "slight" difficulties when walking -> no chance

but extremely lovely character - is a pack dog, so there is no alpha - beta - gamma discussion -> everyone in the family is the same
Our daughter could climb on her as a baby and she didn't even flinch her eyelids

That was our Sofia:
and this is our current dog - Vanda - a Lagotto Romagnolo (Italian water dog) (the right one of the two)

Great story Uwe... dogs are our most loyal friends!

"25kg with a low center of gravity (short legs and long body) - so dog only moves when he wants, not when you want it.
stoic calm - some also say - "stubborn" - a cat in a dog's fur"
2,5 dogs long by 0,25 of a dogs hight :)

No further progress with the kit but

Polish_20210115_145000722.jpg

contomperary rigging information arrived today...

Last edited:
Here the first step on the kit, the
center board only has grooves from above. When a groove is to be driven from below you have to cut them by your own.

IMG-20210116-WA0007.jpeg

IMG-20210116-WA0009.jpeg

IMG-20210116-WA0011.jpeg

IMG-20210116-WA0013.jpeg

Attachments

• IMG-20210116-WA0005.jpeg
    IMG-20210116-WA0005.jpeg
    231.7 KB · Views: 0
Back