Parrals, truss pendants, slings and confusion

This is related to my Astrolabe build: Build log here

The Mantua plans show no such devices on any yards - the kit is too simplified for them.
The plans for the ship from AAMM show 'drosse', illustrated as truss pendants, for fore and main lower yards only, and slings on the those yards and the crossjack yard. (And no jeers). Nothing of that ilk on any other yard.
Petersson on the English ship he describes, shows parrals for the fore topsail only. I read somewhere that Royal Navy ships only used parrrals on the main course yard.
Do many of the yards therefore only use the tyes to locate the yard to the mast, or should they all have slings?
There are also no foot-ropes shown on the royal yards on any mast from AAMM, although Mantua do have them.
Is there a more correct answer, or do I just do what I fancy since it's my model and probably only you guys n gals on here would ever pick me up on it!

Last edited:
Just checked back, and I got the Royal Navy bit wrong - it should be "Parrel were used by the British navy only on the foreyard, thr main yard and fore and main topsail yard, plus on the mizzen yard for a lateen.... all other yards were attached only with rope."

Hi Jimmy!

L'Astrolabe had no parrel trucks and ribs. For this it was in the wrong century and built late.

P4290056.JPG
All yards were attached to the mast with ropes ("Drosse", construction plan of the French museum in Paris AAMM). The rope ends were attached to the deck or the mast tops.
Footropes did not exist on the royal yards. I would go by the AAMM's revised construction drawings.

Best regards
Thomas

Back