Pavel Nikitin San Bartolome

The way the kit cap rail is designed it shows the glue lines and where everything is sandwiched together. So I decided to laminate the cap rail. I thinking the kit wood is beech wood. Did not have beech veneer but had some maple. I think it’s a pretty close match after it was dyed. I can probably work with the dyes a little more to get a closer match to the kit wood. What does everyone think.IMG_9140.jpegIMG_9141.jpegIMG_9142.jpegIMG_9145.jpegIMG_9144.jpegIMG_9143.jpeg

That is a neat substitution. Was it difficult to form?

Jan
Super easy. Just wet it and clamped it to the top rail to use it as a former and used my plank bender. The trick will to glue it down uniformly since I glued the top rail down already. Still thinking about how to do it. On the starboard side, I will laminate it before gluing it to the ship.

Super easy. Just wet it and clamped it to the top rail to use it as a former and used my plank bender. The trick will to glue it down uniformly since I glued the top rail down already. Still thinking about how to do it. On the starboard side, I will laminate it before gluing it to the ship.
Hmm, something to think about when I get to that stage. I’m waiting for warmer outdoor conditions so I can do some serious sanding outside. Currently it’s 22F and snowing. Forecast is 10 plus inches.

Jan

Hmm, something to think about when I get to that stage. I’m waiting for warmer outdoor conditions so I can do some serious sanding outside. Currently it’s 22F and snowing. Forecast is 10 plus inches.

Jan
Good day to stay inside at the bench.

Just massive amounts of rain for us.

Good day to stay inside at the bench.
Yessir, I'm in my little boatyard trying to follow Pietsan's example for rigging the Foremast on my WB build. also trying not to glue my fingers together. I dislike using that "superglue stuff" and avoid it if all possible.

Jan

I have a little update to post. I have been working on the cap rails and some deck fittings on the port side. Everything thing is dry fitted and will be fine tuned after gluing in place. I also used filler blocks in the bulk heads to have more surface area to glue the cap rails. I also may laminate a piece of veneer on the main deck cap to eliminate the glued up layers. This depends on how well it looks after dying the wood. I can’t imagine they will disappear.
Hope everyone is well!!
View attachment 436393View attachment 436394View attachment 436395View attachment 436396View attachment 436397View attachment 436398View attachment 436399View attachment 436400View attachment 436402

Wonderful. These are exactly the pictures I wanted to see to give me confidence to do the same. I have begun.

Thank you . . .

42EFD7A7-A71F-4F2F-9CC6-78890702A692_1_105_c.jpeg

Back