PE soldering

Hi Michel,
As far as I am aware the only difference between 50/50 and 60/40 is the lead and tin ratio and therefore the melting temperature is different also the strength.
Yes a wire without rosin core is preferred, over here in Australia I found buying plain lead solder very expensive compared to buying normal cored or electronics solder.
When I got the solder bar from the hardware shop it wasn't really cheap but then I thought it would be a life times supply for me, the same apply's to the flux I got it is the smallest tub they had but still more than enough for a lifetime and not really cheap though not all that expensive either.
I watched Paul's video several times pausing and rewinding to get the details right.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Very good and now I feel ready to find the smallest bare available and a rosin tube or acid flux tube.

Thanks you soooo much for taking time to help me. Greatly appreciate.

Michel

Hi Michel,
This is a bit of an after thought, after reading a post on this site today. There is a solder paste available that has flux and solder combined. I haven't used this myself but it might be an economic alternative.
Cheers,
Stephen.

Hi Uwek,
In my opinion the main reason is control of where the solder goes. Because the plain solder will only spread/ flow where there is flux, cored solder will flow to places that you don't want. So as long as you place the flux carefully only where you want to solder you will end up with a neat job as long as not too much solder is used.
That's the only reason I can think of maybe someone else may have other reasons.
Cheers,
Stephen.

I did not fond all the materials proposed, so , finally, I purchased these soldering Materials :

• Hakko FS-100 Tip Cleaner ;
  • Canfield solid wire 60/40 (no core). I will cut chip or or make flake with cutter ;
  • MG Chemicals Rosin Paste Flux .
Thanks for everyone who have contributed in this thread.

Canfield Solid wire 60-40.jpgFS-100 Hakko.jpgMG Chemicals Paste.jpgMichel

Hi Fish & chip,
If you are still interested in soldering PE have a look at these YouTube videos;
This one from Paul Budzik on his Scale Model Workshop channel
Paul does some fantastic videos in my opinion.

This one from Plasmo.

Cheers,
Stephen.
Thanks for posting these videos.

Back