Peterboro canoe 1:12 - Midwest

Hello friends, I’ve recently retired and picked up this wonderful hobby about a year ago. I really like these small kits. Especially when I’m trying to gain as much knowledge of nautical terms along with skills for woodworking:) I’ve had very little of either.

IMG_2744.jpeg

The build starts with the assembly of the strongback. I’ve marked the centerlines and the stem inside edges with dotted lines. I will cut some scrap pieces to brace the frames and help plumb the stems. Also I will cover frames with thin packing tape to prevent the planks from being permanently glued to the strong back:) Another reason, is if I accumulate enough materials from other kits I will build another from this strongback.

IMG_2743.jpeg

I successfully got the first two planks on either side. The ends were glued to the stem with medium CA. After gluing the end of the second plank I held it flush and run a tiny bead of thin CA between the joint. I’ve done strong back build with both CA and PVA. My decision is based on what kind of finish I could use. You can’t stain or use anything that soaks in when the CA is used. After the hull is completed I’ll wipe down the outside completely with thin CA, so the color will be uniform.

IMG_2756.jpeg

IMG_2757.jpeg

Also, not for sure it’s right but I’ve been edge bending the planks before installing them. The last planking I did I bent the sideways and the edges rolled up at the bow. Luckily that was the first planking and I could use as much wood filler as I wanted:)

IMG_2759.jpeg

IMG_2760.jpeg

The next plank is walnut, to give it a little detail.

Looks like fun! It is a little hard to see but you may want to bevel the planks where they are attaching to the stems.
:) Thanks Rob, I did somewhat. Now you mentioned it, it looks like I didn’t cut them square. I should pay closer attention and sand them square after chopping them with my knife:). I really appreciate your input and your attention to detail. More minds more knowledge:)

I am pretty new at this myself and have been helped a lot by others suggestions and the build guides! I am working on a Maine peapod now which is similar to your boat in building technique. Here is a picture of the end with the planks beveled first to fit more closely with the stems. I like your idea ov covering the frames with packing tape first! I will certainly be doing that on my future projects.

Rob

IMG_8494.jpeg

Looks like fun! It is a little hard to see but you may want to bevel the planks where they are attaching to the stems.
A better idea would be to bevel the stems! This way you will not have to fiddle around getting the exact length for the strips between the two ends...
G.

I'm watching with interest. I live just outside Peterborough, Ontario where these were made (along with a long closed Evinrude outboard motor plant where, coincidentally, a canoe museum is located; that museum is expanding and opening in a brand new building in May). I've considered building one of these as a "filler" project.Peterborough_canoe_company_catalog_cover_1921.jpg

Up to this point, I’ve be using the same routine. I pre-bend the planks, clip them on. Do a visual check before I prepare and glue on end to a stem using thick CA, then one frame at a time, run a bead of thin CA as I keep the edges straight and tight:) or I try to that is.

IMG_2846.jpeg

After the second frame I cut the other bevel at the opposite stem.

IMG_2853.jpeg

IMG_2861.jpeg

IMG_2878.jpeg

IMG_2889.jpeg

I’m going to start sanding down the top side of the next few planks , to help transition the planks from the side to the bottom without edging up.

IMG_2890.jpeg

I can’t really tell if they are correct. I guess I’ll have to stick with feeling like they are.

Last edited:
The previous post I had 6 planks on each side. I started tapering the top edge of that plank. To start rolling towards the bottom of the canoe. It seemed one side wasn’t going to be enough, so I had to start tapering the bottom of planks also, until they lay flat.

IMG_2912.jpeg

The planks look fair on the outside.

IMG_2913.jpeg

But looking at the inside where I didn’t accurately taper the angles, I am amazed that they are holding together:) I did have to switch from thin to medium CA.

IMG_2914.jpeg

IMG_2916.jpeg

And while I was turning it in all directions trying to see, I hung a finger on the keel and it snapped the balsa wood stem into:-/ it glued back but no way to clamp and my hand wasn’t steady at the moment.

IMG_2917.jpeg

If I remember to, I probably can push it over when I get up there with the planks. I’m not moving fast. I have to be in the mood to try to taper those tiny long planks.

Last edited:
That's a nice looking kit. I had no idea there was a kit on this type of canoe. My wife's family is from Peterborough, where there is a museum dedicated to canoes. It's a must see for anyone interested in the topic.

That's a nice looking kit. I had no idea there was a kit on this type of canoe. My wife's family is from Peterborough, where there is a museum dedicated to canoes. It's a must see for anyone interested in the topic.

I definitely will remember to reopening date:) it’s my birthday. Tangopapa is also from Peterborough. I would love to visit one day

Last edited:
I’ve only got a few more planks on since my last post. I’m still hopeful,trying I can get the planks turned flat.

View attachment 436940

View attachment 436941

I just clipped this scrap on to see how it’s turning. I believe it will be close.

View attachment 436942
It's looking good. A different kind of kit.
I definitely will remember to reopening date:) it’s my birthday. Tangopapa is also from Peterborough. I would love to visit one day
The Peterborough area is lovely. It's in the Kawartha Lakes area of Ontario - lots of lakes, rivers, canal waterways. We have spent many summers out that way. No surprise that it is the home of the canoe museum. By the way , who is tangopapa?:)

It's looking good. A different kind of kit.

The Peterborough area is lovely. It's in the Kawartha Lakes area of Ontario - lots of lakes, rivers, canal waterways. We have spent many summers out that way. No surprise that it is the home of the canoe museum. By the way , who is tangopapa?:)

Thank you! I’ve built two Sea of Galilee boats that are constructed with a strongback and stems cut loose after the hull is completed.
Another member that commented above:)

Back