As I mentioned a while back, when looking unsuccessfully for a build log of this model, I would post my effort. Before I start, a couple of observations. This small scale is almost beyond my skill set. The kit has excellent drawings and quite abbreviated instructions. Several metal parts are short and require scratch build. I have a copy of a practicum and it has been a great help. Also this is my first solid hull build. I am not a fan and any subsequent builds will be POB and at least 1/4=1. I have never quit on a build and though this one has tempted me, I plan to finish.
I attached a wood block to deck to allow clamping in vice. Also made a small cradle to hold it upright. Using the furnished templates, I sanded the hull to correct dimensions. I used various sanding sticks to do this. I also used only sanding sticks to reduce thickness of bulk head.. Instructions and practicum suggested carving tools to do this. Too scary for me. Lots and lots of sanding but finally go there.
2. Attached keel, stem and stern post. I departed from instructions and determined water line and painted hull. Next I decided to install copper plating on below water line instead of painting. Very time consuming and requires somewhat more careful handling as build progresses. I also applied a patina to weather the copper.
3. Attached the furnished deck with fake planking. Fake planks have small indention and I highlighted with pencil. Used a mini Dremel to cut the scuttles in hull.
4. Bulkhead stanchions were difficult for me due to small size. I think walnut would have worked better than softer wood. Material for cap rail was 3/32in wide. Practically impossible to install and leave overhang for chain plates to go through the rail. I had plates lay out side of rail..
5. Made guide from drawings to drill proper angle for masts.
6. Hand carved rudder, copper plated and installed
Used a micro saw to make cut for bowsprit. Filed to fit.
7. Hand carved taff rail from scrap. Made chain plates from kit brass. Attached deadeyes to chain plates using 28 ga annealed wire. Very tedious. Attached chain plates to hull.
Ready to start on deck furniture.