Picked up the hobby again. After 20 years away

Hi I’m John. I’ve got bk into the hobby after 20 away. I put my part built hms endeavour on the shelf 19 years ago when I’m daughter was born. Thinking I would be able to start again. After a couple of weeks, of her being home. And the rest is history, I picked the model back up last year, and didn’t have a clue where to start again with the model. So I went down the road of buying a part work build of hms victory, to learn the technics again. I’ve joined this group to hopefully pick up the skills to scratch build one day

4851750E-53F5-4F0F-AA2E-C12F7212B42A.jpg

3B50E65A-47AA-4BE6-A46D-62E782CA2865.jpeg

Attachments

• 4851750E-53F5-4F0F-AA2E-C12F7212B42A.jpeg
    4851750E-53F5-4F0F-AA2E-C12F7212B42A.jpeg
    237.9 KB · Views: 19
Last edited by a moderator:
Hello and welcome John. I was in the same situation. Stopped for about 20 years before return to the hobby. Still takes time to re-learn. The biggest difficulty for me is my eyesight is not as good and finishing techniques are a little rough.
Have fun.

Welcome back to the wonderful world of ship modeling. I too took a break of about 20 years - to run a business, deal with family, etc. Now that I'm retarded - er - retired, I have the time to do it once again. Magnifiers are a necessity as we age and are trying to do highly detailed work.

Jim J, nice that you have started your exciting hobby again, You can go for a model on a slightly large scale, then you do not need to use magnifying glass as often, Greetings-

FULLY KNOW THE PROBLEMS OF EYESIGHT, ALSO BRAIN, EYE AND HAND COORDINATION NOT WHAT IT ONCE WAS (82 going on 83) but still at it I too had a LONG layoff mine was to take CARE OF MY WIFE THE LOVE OF MY LIFE STILL MISS HER EVER DAY. Don

Oh Don, when are you ever gonna push that button to turn off the CAPS LOCK?? I’ve seen your modeling skills improve with each build but you still got that shout button on gotta love ya man! :) :D ;)

oh a very bad habit, real bad, as my dughter says continually, and yes i will stop it, i use it because of ageing eye sight, very bad habit will endevor to stop that lol. Don

Don, I’m glad you didn’t take that the wrong way.. I am reminded that everything has a perspective - I never even considered that all caps are easier to see, I apologize for ASSuming that you needed a reminder. Forgive me for being way to nearsighted myself.

Back