Planking my ship

This is my first attempt at planking a ship. I have my first layer on and am thinking about putting on the second layer of walnut. I am planning to finish part of it with stain and then a clear coat. It seems to me that no matter how careful you can be you will get glue where I am planning on staining which will leave it looking blotchy looking. How do you get around that? Thanks for any help you can give.

On the first layer I used CA glue. I haven’t started the second layer yet. I’m just thinking through this. So if you use white glue, then you have to clamp it in place somehow

Yes, Augustine. If you are using wite (PVA) glue, you may use clamps. If this is the first layer you may use nails.

Yep. but as its done in small amounts smell goes quicky. You need ventilation for any solvent based appliction. CA ( superglue can give you severe heath issues from breathing in fumes. Some people develop allergies from it. )

I have always used titebond for first planking sometimes CA for stubborn planks second planks I use white titebond or titebond 3 very thin layer. I haven't used contact cement I guess I will have to try it out. I like the idea of instant bond, but I don't like not being able to reposition it if I place it wrong.

What kind of clamps do you use for this?
Hi Augustine,
Obviously, you can make your own out of paper bundles clips. But if this sound to you difficult, you can buy them. One of them is more appropriate for Plank-on-Frame (POF) construction, but you can use them on Plank-on-Bulkhead (POB) by ModelshipWays (click the link). They look like this and comes on different sizes.

PlankingClamps-!.jpg
The second type of clamps should be used for POB type of model. Here is the link for your information (click the link)

MicroMark's.jpg
alternatively, for POB type build you can simply use nails (if the hull is double planking) or pushpins
PushPin.jpg

Hope this will help

Like many have said already white glue works, however CA also works. Some tight bends will need the CA to get a hold of one end . As I have said here before I’m a stain guy, I love seeing the wood take on a natural look. I very rarely use paint, I have never used it on a hull, not everyone’s choice but it’s the way I build. For me its all about keeping the same sequence of work. For a second planking I only use .05mm strips, thin makes them easy to shape, first I soak them for about 15 min, then apply a very thin coat of glue only working a few mm ahead to get the plank bonded up tight then I apply heat to steam bend the wood into place, the glue simply bonds into the wood with stream and heat. no clamps needed. I get little to no glue push out. After a section is complete, I wipe the area down with a lightly damp cloth. Again, this is just my style IMG_1701.JPGIMG_3689.jpg

Like many have said already white glue works, however CA also works. Some tight bends will need the CA to get a hold of one end . As I have said here before I’m a stain guy, I love seeing the wood take on a natural look. I very rarely use paint, I have never used it on a hull, not everyone’s choice but it’s the way I build. For me its all about keeping the same sequence of work. For a second planking I only use .05mm strips, thin makes them easy to shape, first I soak them for about 15 min, then apply a very thin coat of glue only working a few mm ahead to get the plank bonded up tight then I apply heat to steam bend the wood into place, the glue simply bonds into the wood with stream and heat. no clamps needed. I get little to no glue push out. After a section is complete, I wipe the area down with a lightly damp cloth. Again, this is just my style View attachment 70895View attachment 70896
This sounds like a good way to do it. I’m going to try it. Thanks

For a second planking I only use .05mm strips, thin makes them easy to shape, first I soak them for about 15 min, then apply a very thin coat of glue only working a few mm ahead to get the plank bonded up tight then I apply heat to steam bend the wood into place,

Which glue are you using for second planking?

Hi Augustine.
If you are not sure if you can get the planks glued in place the first go then if I was you I would use white PVA, you will have time to place the plank.
You can also use a drop of CA every 60mm - 100mm with the white glue, like this white glue then a drop of CA then white glue again then CA then white glue.

Denis.

Back